My first aluminum tig job at work.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo38t
    started a topic My first aluminum tig job at work.

My first aluminum tig job at work.

I pie cut the ducts on a Detroit Diesel air cooler to spread them apart an inch and a half. Used a Lincoln Tig 300 with watercooler and 4043 to welded it up. I think 5356 would have been a better choice but the boss wanted it done with what he had....so the unfortunate part I was stuck trying to use 4043 and a balled Thoriated Tungsten.....it didn't come out too pretty. I know thoriated isn't the right tungsten for the job and I can see why now. Dave
    Attached Files

• Don52
    replied
    Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
    I think 5356 would have been a better choice...
    I would be concerned with 5356 if the temperature gets above 150 degrees. formation of Al2Mg at elevated temperatures at the grain boundaries makes this alloy prone to stress corrosion.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
    Thanks. We don't have much tig work at all to do. I balled it cause the one that was there was balled. It didn't seem right to me, but the guy that left was a really good tig guy. The balled thoriated doesn't work so well though LOL. It splinters/cracks at the ball. I thought my school welding teacher told me 5356 is better for cast. I remember welding some 1/16" cast stuff from home depot in school and 4043 wouldn't hardly bond. It worked out good so far on this cooler. Dave
    4043 is the "go to" cast rod for sure and if it doesn't weld/fuse you could about bet 5356 would be a step in the wrong direction. Then it starts to get expensive after that. Nice job BTW

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks. We don't have much tig work at all to do. I balled it cause the one that was there was balled. It didn't seem right to me, but the guy that left was a really good tig guy. The balled thoriated doesn't work so well though LOL. It splinters/cracks at the ball. I thought my school welding teacher told me 5356 is better for cast. I remember welding some 1/16" cast stuff from home depot in school and 4043 wouldn't hardly bond. It worked out good so far on this cooler. Dave
    Originally posted by awill4x4 View Post
    As c wagner says "don't be too hard on yourself".
    Seeing as the weld looks to be on Aluminium castings then 4043 is the filler I would choose as well, I find it to be a little more "user friendly" for castings.
    If that was my 1st go at work I would be very happy with the results and so should you be.
    Now just tell your boss you want to do all the tig work that comes in and go for it.
    Regards Andrew from Oz.

Leave a comment:

• awill4x4
    replied
    As c wagner says "don't be too hard on yourself".
    Seeing as the weld looks to be on Aluminium castings then 4043 is the filler I would choose as well, I find it to be a little more "user friendly" for castings.
    If that was my 1st go at work I would be very happy with the results and so should you be.
    Now just tell your boss you want to do all the tig work that comes in and go for it.
    Regards Andrew from Oz.

Leave a comment:

• Fishy Jim
    replied
    Why did you ball it?

I never ball my thoriated when I use it on aluminum, and it's practically the only tungsten I ever use (transformer machine, no less).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The customer is my boss LOL. I wanted to clean it up he said it was good enough. LOL.
    Originally posted by c wagner View Post
    Don't be too hard on yourself, it doesn't look so bad.
    Sometimes the bottom line is that it works good and I'm sure the customer will be happy!

Leave a comment:

• c wagner
    replied
    Don't be too hard on yourself, it doesn't look so bad.
    Sometimes the bottom line is that it works good and I'm sure the customer will be happy!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X