X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Badd00SS
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
    Very interesting...where are you located?
    My friends shop is in Deer Park, NY but he is moving soon further out east on the island....
    Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)
    sigpic

Comment

• CWB
      • Jun 2008

i look at engine dynos as being basically worthless to anybody but professional engine builders like Vic Edelbrock. i prefer to know what my car makes at the wheels because that gives a more accurate idea of what power is being transferred to the ground. realistically the only reason that i see to have an engine dyno is if youre building serious competition or experimental engines that have a good chance of exploding and you dont want them doing so inside your car. thats also the reason most large companies that have these isolated "test cells" also have techs monitor the engines through several layers of bullet resistant glass and cover major portions of the engines with scatter shields. generally these "test cells" are also humidity and temperature controlled with no need for any sort of "correction factor." the SAE (not ASE) has a standard humidity and temperature that dictate how automakers test engines and report their hp. personally i've been tempted to bid on a few chassis dynos ive seen around but not sure i can justify the expense yet...lil too much for a toy. for now i'll stick to paying $100 anytime i get curious

Comment

• 190MPH
        • Mar 2007

The money you spend for a day on an engine dyno is well spent if you are serious about racing. It will wind up costing you exponentially more to try and find a baseline tuneup trying to test at the track. Not only that, but a serious race engine needs time to seat the rings, which on the track takes several runs in a motor like mine. A day on the dyno does this also, so the good bean oil can be put in for the 1st run down the track. You'd be surprised how much HP that is worth. As far as the exploding an engine on the dyno instead of in your car, believe it or not, the dyno is easier on the motor than true race conditions. I guess it's all a matter of your situation and how serious you are, no disrespect intended to anyone into any type of motorsports.

Comment

Working...
        X