X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOTROD
    started a topic Makin grill from butane tank

Makin grill from butane tank

Well here goes my first attempt,hope I can,I see them everywere how do they cook?any advice? Post some pics of yours pleeze!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HOTROD; 09-20-2008, 05:56 PM. Reason: Add on

• MIKE H
    replied
    I'm just a weekend weldor so it took me about 8months when I wasn't doing something else or if the temp. wasnt 100 degrees I made about 500 on it.

Leave a comment:

• HOTROD
    replied
    Nice Work You all are making me jealous!How long did it take to make and how much profit do you make MIKE H?

Leave a comment:

• MIKE H
    replied
    Here is some pictures of one I built and sold. It is an old propane tank 30" diameter has 2 meat racks and has a single 4' door with counterbalance. The firebox is 2'x2'. Unfortunately I did'nt get any of it finshed. I hope this gives you some ideas.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• HOTROD
    replied
    Thats what I had in mind when I started my build,I hope it looks half as nice as yours LEON2003

Leave a comment:

• Leons2003
    replied
    When we build a pit, the top and bottom of the doors get cut first, tack the hinges, cut each end, ck for no binding, finish hinge weld. I generally add 1"x1/8" around the doors.
    Here is a pit SIL and his bud built (w/my supervision) from a discarded propane tank, fire box is 2'x2'x¼".
    Have fun
    L*S
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• HOTROD
    replied
    Im buiding it for myself just a learning experience should be making money much as I have racked my brain Thanks JIM-TX
    Last edited by HOTROD; 09-29-2008, 11:09 PM. Reason: forgot to say thanks

Leave a comment:

• Jim-TX
    replied
    I've done 2 grills from old butane tanks so I'm not too high on the list of "expert" grill makers, but I've trimmed the edges of the doors with 1 x 1/8 flat to cover the gaps. You can bend it by hand to fit. Grills are fun to make unless you are trying to make a profit on them. They are time consuming but I've enjoyed building them. Sorry, no pics right now. I can get a pic of the small one, 32 gal. The big 250 gal is where I can't get a pic of it anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Marcel Bauer
    replied
    Built for somebody else and mine had to be left behind when I moved some years ago.

Leave a comment:

• HOTROD
    replied
    Thanks for the input Marcel Bauer sounds like youve burned a rod or 2! Can you send pics of some of your smokers or grills?

Leave a comment:

• Marcel Bauer
    replied
    In regards to fitting the doors, I use flat bar tabs about 2" long (4 on each door) with the center of the tab at the edge of the door with the tacks about 1/2" from the door edge.

You can then just drop the door into the opening and it won't fall in and will be flush and easy to align. Stick a couple of spacers in the bottom gap and fit/weld your hinges. Then remove the tabs and tacks.

Leave a comment:

• HOTROD
    replied
    Thanks ALBERTAWELDER sounds like a starting point

Leave a comment:

• albertawelder
    replied
    i would start by making a nice angle iron frame to hold it up at a comfortable bbq'ing height and go from there..maybe a tray along the front to hold your sauce, brushes, etc...a table on the side to hold some plates or whatever..maybe a shelf down on the bottom of the angle iron frame..you can cut some vent holes and use some flat bar to make a slide so the vents can open or close however much you like..I would just start with a frame and get creative from there.

As for the hinges...just tack the cut pieces(doors) in place how you think they would line up originally and then tack/weld your hinges. Cut the tacks you used to line everything up and should work perfect.
    Last edited by albertawelder; 09-27-2008, 02:18 AM. Reason: To add a point

Leave a comment:

• HOTROD
    replied
    Grillin

To late I already cut doors out! I geuss this will be my PROTOTYPE

Leave a comment:

• Cornerstone
    replied
    Yeah, purging before flame cutting,pretty important. Or else,"But where is the earth shattering kaboom". -Marvin the Martian/Looney Tunes

Leave a comment:

Working...
X