Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMW
    replied
    If your shear is rolling the edge then the blades are not sharpened or not adjusted correctly. There should be no rolled edge on a sheared plate.

Leave a comment:

• chrisgay@sbcglo
    replied
    base

Picture of the base. There will be eight of these.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• chrisgay@sbcglo
    replied
    progress

Here are some progress pictures.

The skirt/rings are rolled from 1/8" x 5" material. I have to roll them in two halves. Therefore, the halves must be left long, then trimmed to size to fit the base.

Question: How do you trim the flats off of the rolled halves?
    Answer: I have a shop full of bandsaws, but I'm using a vintage hand shear I picked up for $80.

The shear rolls the ends a bit (as shears do), so we have to flatten them out with an expensive flattening machine.

1) Rolled halves. These were rolled on my home-made roller (see other post).

2) Jigged.

3) Fancy, expensive cutting tool.

4) Expensive, complicated flattening machine

5) Detail of underside.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by [email protected]; 09-05-2008, 01:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chrisgay@sbcglo
    replied
    Originally posted by mulugod View Post
    That stuff looks great! I only wish I had the refined tecnique you show here!
    I have a Dyn200dx and I love it! I assume that is what you accomplised these weld with!?
    Again,,,good work!!
    MB
    Thanks for the kind words.

Actually, I used my Passport to weld up those adjustable feet. Quick and easy.

It's all in the planning, really. Not much to the welding. You'd be surprised.

Leave a comment:

• mulugod
    replied
    Hey Nice work!!

That stuff looks great! I only wish I had the refined tecnique you show here!
    I have a Dyn200dx and I love it! I assume that is what you accomplised these weld with!?
    Again,,,good work!!
    MB

Leave a comment:

• chrisgay@sbcglo
    replied
    Originally posted by NAS-NAS View Post
    What does the finished product look like?
    I don't know yet... . Check back in a couple of weeks.

Once completed, they will get an automotive paint finish.

Leave a comment:

• NAS-NAS
    replied
    What does the finished product look like?

Leave a comment:

• c wagner
    replied
    Sweet!

Leave a comment:

• chrisgay@sbcglo
    started a topic Plasma screen stands

Plasma screen stands

I've been procrastinating long enough and need to knock out eight freestanding supports for some plasma screens to go in some corporate place somewhere.

Short story is they get a 3/8" thick x 32" diameter steel base, which also gets a 5" x 1/8" skirt. Two 3" OD tubes rise up about 60" and a 1/8" plate gets welded between them to which the factory bracket mounts, and then the screens will hang from that.

Here's the start:

1) Eight bases, the template, and the drop. Heavy metal.
    2) Eight mounting plates waiting to bridge the gap.
    3) The bases get bolted to the ground, but they still need to be levelled, so I'm making three adjustable pads for each base, which will get welded to the underside of the disks and be concealed by the skirt. Parts is parts.
    4) My super fancy jig.
    5) Zing-bang.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
Working...
X