• Show
Clear All
  • weld_13
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by trstek View Post
    The book is "build your own sports car for as little as L250 - and race it"
    by Ron Champion
    isbn 1859606369 - haynes books

Seems after a search the company in madison, al is not there anymore... tried calling the phone number and no message or anything

found it on amazon, but it was 93.00 , its not that good of a book...

If you google "lotus 7" a bunch of links pop.

Tom

ps - found this on the UK site :

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10001
    thanks! i found that book link on google and i think it was like $25 maybe more or less cause i wasnt shure if i had the right book.
    welding...its awsome

Comment

• trstek
      • May 2007

Sorry about that guys, Dug my copy out, purchased mine in 2003...

Be carefull ordering from the uk, remember to convert to $$$ .

Tom

(your welcome)

Comment

• weld_13
        • Mar 2007

new thought

ok suggestions wanted. im thinkin this frame http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/kawas...33509138QQrdZ1 with the motorcycle engine idea, stretch the frame out on the front to be like a banshee, convert to chain driven(most likely blaster axle), and make mounts for banshee plastic to make it a banshee look alike.
        welding...its awsome

Comment

• trstek
          • May 2007

My stock banshee will easlily run 55-60.

Kind of start at the top here, what speed are you looking to run, how much hp, how much will it weigh?

Then you can start figuring what you will need for suspension parts and sprocket strengh, hubs, tires designed for the application etc.

if you are looking to put 75 - 100 hp in that frame with blaser components... what is a blaster stock, 15hp? (how much torque are you talking from the power plant)

What are you planning to do with this thing? Run it full out hard and fast? Do some hard launches getting air? Compete with it, they will have rules you will need to comply with.

need more info...

Comment

• weld_13
            • Mar 2007

specs and ideas

ok just since u posted urs ive clocked a kawasaki mojave 250cc with brothers truck at 55 and wasnt even close to max . ok im lookin for maybe 75 easy with good fast excelleration cause i want to have it go better but thats my stoppin point i would be usin it at cause dont wanta kill myself.(ive melowed out some since i busted my arm and wrist in several places back in december on a quad. its now stiff kinda out of place and pops want nice 4wheeler but not so much injury) do u now what the average wheight is for a sport quad stock? thats what im knida lookin for i know it will be slightly heavier after mods maybe around 300-350 pounds. were wantin somethin nice to be able to take to the dunes and maybe do some races but still have dirt tires so we can ride on our property and go to the lake with it. would have to adapt bayou frame after it was stretched out to have daul top and lower a arms and a rear sway bar that would be slightly longer than stock for stability and raised a couple inches. i want to get the best i can out of dirt cheap but want to do it right cause dont have lots of $$$. i might use a kawasaki bayou frame pic. link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...spagenameZWDVW . heres a banshee frame pic. link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...spagenameZWDVW . thanks for the help
            welding...its awsome

Comment

• trstek
              • May 2007

stock banshee wet = 412lbs (owners manual)

I am not sure, you might want to find someone that is running a set up like you are describing and find out what they learned building theres. what the week parts are that tend to fail.

initial thoughts, you start stretching parts, you increase the mechanical advantage, so if stock, a force of 1, and you stretch it out, what is the resultant force? obviously greater than 1, but how much?

components tend to fail at the worst possible time...

Realizing you are on a budget, you nailed it, safety is first. it might take longer to do it right, but it will be well worth the time and money.

What you just described is a full out atv. Me, if I needed to extend the frame, I would build a new one, run the math on it to make sure it will handle the stress with the desired dimentions...

At my age, I would build something with a roll cage

Comment

• fun4now
                • Aug 2006

ok im lookin for maybe 75 easy with good fast excelleration cause i want to have it go better
                thats an awfull lot for a 300lbs 3ft wide anything on an uneven serface. i think you may well be looking for truble. needing to be better is pointless if you cant controle it. was that 55 on the street or off in the woods, i'll bet off in the woods he never even gets close to those speeds. at some point its just waisted HP.
                just a lil some thing to think about.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

• weld_13
                  • Mar 2007

yeh that issue is why we want wider arms and have some cheap but nice adjustable shocks so it will ride smooth at high speeds.once u adjust the shocks right and u have the right suspension setup 4wheelers will ride really smooth just has to be right.

p.s. just got done watching youtube atv wrecks makes u consider safety and some common since.
                  welding...its awsome

Comment

• weld_13
                    • Mar 2007

green shortage$$

okay since me and brother dont have alot of money to spend in the first place, i cant get a job to get more $, and hes got to get new tires for truck if can still do a project at all think its gonna be this with dif. motor maybe chain driven dual a arms up front or a really cheap stock or near stock banshee http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/kawas...33509138QQrdZ1 . thing is if get this frame might be august or september before could pick it up cause might be able to get relatives near location ta pick it up and bring it to family get together in august might if buy it spend money to pick it up afterwards or pick it up in september on trip . would like to look at this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...24848221QQrdZ1 looks like it just needs some carb work.
                    welding...its awsome

Comment

• fun4now
                      • Aug 2006

i have a 2000 bayou 220. its the wifes bike. its got 4 wheel independant suspention thats a bit soft for my taste but you could likely beef that up. you might want to check with him to see if its shaft drive or not. if its shaft drive (like our's) it could cause problems for your build, but at $200 might be werth the needed mod's. hard to beat that price, if i had it i would buy it to use for a project sooner or later.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                      JAMES

Comment

• trstek
                        • May 2007

Just a thought, but, if you want a banshee like machine, why not start out with a banshee?

You know the layout is good for higher speeds and higher hp. having one I can add it handles great, the center of gravety is low, has great brakes etc...

Basicly you are starting with a well engineered machine that is designed from day one to be a performance vehicle. You can make anything into anything you want, but, from a safety standpoint the r&d is already done on a banshee.

a few mods from stock and the banshee is a pretty fast little machine. Even stock getting the tires to hook up is a challenge.

The real tipping point (pun) on the banshee is its stability and control. having rode mine through tight twisty trails with elevation changes and tree's in close, at a comfortable speed, I can say it will do exactly what you tell it to do. My utility atv on the other hand, is a bit of a handfull in the tight twisties. Spongier tires, higher center of gravety, less predictable suspension, less throttle control etc. Course I dont move too many trailers with the banshee...

My free advice, save your money and get a banshee to start with, one that runs, ride it the day you bring it home, and mod it as resources permit.

Even though mine is stock, I will not let people ride it unless they can prove experience on atv's and common sense. in stock trim it is more vehicle than some have sense to drive, with mods, it is a full on white knuckle run.

like you said, you can get hurt on any of them, the banshee will let you do it faster. but on that same note, it handles really good, you can do things on it you couldn't on less of a machine...
                        Last edited by trstek; 06-27-2007, 05:36 AM.

Comment

• alha
                          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by weld_13 View Post
                          thanks! i found that book link on google and i think it was like $25 maybe more or less cause i wasnt shure if i had the right book.
                          This book looks like it will work good for a project I have coming up, I did some searching, the best price I found at this time was $50 including shipping, bummer that it's out of print. I ordered it from http://www.netstoreusa.com/tnbooks/185/1859606369.shtml

I'll let you know when I get it, how their service was.

Comment

• fun4now
                            • Aug 2006

makes an excelent point. if you want to end up with a banchie, best to start with one.
                            i have 4 quads and they all have diferent suspentions. the bayue is clearly set up for a comfortable rid, where the yamaha big bear is set up more for durability. the lil eton is set up for speed and handeling at those speeds. all are verry diferent. but the monoshock seems to be the choice for getting crazy. the bayue has a dule piveting rearend so its a nice smooth ride where the bigdear is a much stiffer design and is much nicer for jumping. the bayue is also verry soft. tire tred will also play a big part in handeling carictoristics. the bayue has a staggerd bump pattern and as such dose not like to slide. i'll post some pic's later i gotta deal with the lil one now.
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            JAMES

Comment

Working...
                            X