• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hellowyo
    started a topic Need saw info...

Need saw info...

Hello Everyone!

I am a High School welding teacher, and I need to get a saw for my school shop. We have a chop saw, so I am looking at cold cut or band saws. I want it to cut angles easily. I am leaning toward band saws as they seem to be a little cheaper. I probably have up to $4500 to spend, but hopefully not quite that much. I want it to be accurate, Easy to use, and TOUGH! (They kids can destroy the best of things!) I also would like it to cut 6" box tube or so...

I have been looking at Wilton and Balieh saws, but do you have any words of wisdom?

Thanks Everyone! I enjoy reading your info very much!

• theweldinfarminartist
    replied
    Hey just new here myself, on the forum

hellowyo, ya just wanted to say another brand of saw that I have worked with is the HYd-Mech, there are many versions sizes what have you. Good Luck. theweldinfarminartist

=hellowyo;155622]Hello Everyone!

I am a High School welding teacher, and I need to get a saw for my school shop. We have a chop saw, so I am looking at cold cut or band saws. I want it to cut angles easily. I am leaning toward band saws as they seem to be a little cheaper. I probably have up to $4500 to spend, but hopefully not quite that much. I want it to be accurate, Easy to use, and TOUGH! (They kids can destroy the best of things!) I also would like it to cut 6" box tube or so...

I have been looking at Wilton and Balieh saws, but do you have any words of wisdom?

Thanks Everyone! I enjoy reading your info very much![/QUOTE]

Leave a comment:

• WyoRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by hellowyo View Post
    for the offer WyoRoy... If I make it over to Gillette before I place the order I might pick your brain a little!
    I'll post you a Private Message with contact information. I'm always available during the day as I head to work at 22:30 every night. BTW, I've scrounged bits and pieces from the scrap yard...Pacific Steel...for the local high school shop...last was a 3 ton Tale chain fall hoist.

Leave a comment:

• hellowyo
    replied
    OH and Thanks

for the offer WyoRoy... If I make it over to Gillette before I place the order I might pick your brain a little!

Leave a comment:

• hellowyo
    replied
    WOW, Thanks for the great info!

Thank you all for the great info! I was on the fence but I think I will go with the band saw. I got chills when I read about your cold cut blades and a bunch of High School kids... And theit teacher!!! Things have to be very tough, and maybe then they will last!

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• J hall
    replied
    Ellis band saw.....I went to high school for a year or too

Leave a comment:

• tnjind
    replied
    Funny Monte, now go play with your flying machine.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Could also stand for dim witt.............

sorrry man ....couldn't resist ok, you owe me one

Leave a comment:

• tnjind
    replied
    Jeez, I can't believe I didn't make the connection. DW, DeWalt, duh.

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    Yup............

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Originally posted by tnjind View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, but whatsa "DW blade"?
    Dewalt

Leave a comment:

• tnjind
    replied
    Maybe a dumb question, but whatsa "DW blade"?

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    Band saw. !!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    Of all my DW blades, I have only one that can be resharpened. The rest are trashed beyond hope. Now, that is with me trying to be careful and making smallish mistakes now and again. Imagine what rank amateurs that are not paying attention could do in a single day. I could see them going through a 1000 clams worth of blades in a single bad day.

Leave a comment:

• 84ZMike
    replied
    Originally posted by tnjind View Post
    Yep,
    But if you do have them sharpenend I use Tru cut in Ohio, $14.00 per blade.
    Could you imagine what a cold saw blade would look like the first time a HS kid jammed it into a piece of stock because it was cutting too slow..... after you payed to have the teeth welded back on then sharpened you'd have been better off with a new one....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X