X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dabar39
    replied
    grinders

84ZMike, I also have two cheap-o grinders, that I use with wire wheels and such. I bought one b&d at wally world, burnt it up with in twenty minutes and had to replace it. The replacement one has lasted about six months and the gears in the head are already starting to strip out. I bought them mainly for extras in the shop and when I've got helpers doing stuff for me, don't want them using my good stuff. Dave

Leave a comment:

• 84ZMike
    replied
    I also have the Dwalt and love it.....I'll have to disagree with James about the B&D's @ walmart......if you look at the older dewalt and the walmart B&D they are the same.....I'm sure there are some differences ,but I have had mine for 6 plus yrs and have had zero problems from it. I tried to stall it when I got my Dewalt just to see what it would do.....it just laughed at me.
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• dabar39
    replied
    which grinder

Like these other guys I've got two Dewalts, both of them are quite a few years old and have never had a problem with them. That is until the other day, I can hear the gear in one of the heads is on it's way out, already called and ordered the parts, 23.00 for the new gears and should get another couple of few years out of them. Dave

fun4now, is that a dewalt saws-all I see in the background, The one that looks like it is fitted with a 45 degree miter blade in it.LOL...
    Last edited by dabar39; 06-18-2007, 06:56 AM. Reason: added text

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    welcome aboard

if you are talking home use, an 8.5 will be fine. i have 2 portacables that are 6.5amp i think and i have had then for several years now. i think any thing above 6 amps should be fine for home use. more important after you get over 6 amps is going to be feel and whats comfortable to you to use. quality is also important. the millwwauki brand is good quality, only disslike seems to be the cord, but thats an easy fix if you have problems with it. i also have 2 of the cheepo wallmart black and deckers not werth the $30 realy save up another $20 and get the green version if you have to go that way.the cheaper B&D's last about 6 months then the screws start falling out of the head and its all down hill from there. but the green pro grade ones have gotten good reviews. i also just tonight got a craftsmen 7amp version. time will tell if it holds up but it looks solid and 7 amps will be plenty for home shop use. if its for a work truck and daily use for the job you might want more.
    the dewalts have a good reputation also i would have loved one of them but just didnt have the $$ if i dont like the craftsmen i'll return it for a dewalt later when i have the extra $$.the rigid brand is also getting good reviews as a discount version of the metabo. so if its in your price range and you like the feel it would suit your needs also.
    some have paddle wsitches and others locking slid switches, so think about that also when choseing. best to get one thats going to feel comfortable to use.
    lots of guys have several as its easyer and faster to switch out grinders then to mess around changing atachments every time you go fron a grinding disk to a flap wheel then again when you want a whire wheel.i'm up to 5 now but one of my B&D's just lost another screw from the head tonight so its soon to bite the dust. the first pic is the new craftsmen 7 amp, 2nd pic is my other 4 on my tool hanger.
    welding becomes an adiction and along with it you start collecting more tool to play with.

short anser is the 8.5 will be fine for home use, and might last a wile in dayly shop use but most of the working welders realy use them hard so prefer a bigger amp to be able to realy bear down on it.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• chris madden
    replied
    Originally posted by Sundown View Post
    Take a look at the DeWalt 28402, I have several and they are great for the oney ahd have 12 amps.
    thats what I have and love it!

Leave a comment:

• Sundown
    replied
    Take a look at the DeWalt 28402, I have several and they are great for the money and have 12 amps.
    Last edited by Sundown; 06-18-2007, 08:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Irish Welder
    started a topic Hand Grinder Suggestions, Please

Hand Grinder Suggestions, Please

I'm new to welding. I'm taking a MIG class and need to purchase an electric hand grinder. I like Milwaukee Electric's line of grinders and was set to buy its 13 AMP model, but it's too heavy for me. Milwaukee has a number of lighter weight grinders, but they have lower amperage. What amperage is adequate? There's an 8.5 AMP model. Do you think that's sufficient? Thanks.
Working...
X