Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeronca41
    replied
    He most likely figured this out back in 2008.

Leave a comment:

• deafman
    replied
    The weldpak will weld to 5/16" with multi pass

Sorry for the delay in answering. I have welded up to 1/4" with the weldpak using flux core and 3 passes (beads). For a small job you could grind a V or notch between the two plates. I really wouldn't weld anything over 3/16" that would be subject to much stress though. I later upgraded to a MM175.

Leave a comment:

• 2tay530
    replied
    thanks for the answer Brocoli1! I replied to your question on the discussion board. That makes me feel much beter that I can acomadate for the material thicknes!

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Don't think about it too much:

at this size/ capacity machine the HH140 and the Lincolns are the same machine- different color

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Originally posted by 2tay530 View Post
    thanks guy's for all the quik answers! I know there isn't a 120v welder with great capacity but i'm just a 13 year old so i don't plan on doing a whole lot of heavy structual grade material, just some around the hous projects and maybe a little texas art for my dads store.

I know that most max's are an egageration but would the lincoln being qouted at 1/16 more(with flux core) than the hobart's capacity actualy weld more than the HH140?

Also is the hobart rated with flux core or solid?

And if I do come across something heavy couldn't i just bevel the edge or bothe edges and weld bothe sides?
    Yes,

HH140 or the Lincoln

Either one will serve you well

Leave a comment:

• 2tay530
    replied
    thanks guy's for all the quik answers! I know there isn't a 120v welder with great capacity but i'm just a 13 year old so i don't plan on doing a whole lot of heavy structual grade material, just some around the hous projects and maybe a little texas art for my dads store.

I know that most max's are an egageration but would the lincoln being qouted at 1/16 more(with flux core) than the hobart's capacity actualy weld more than the HH140?

Also is the hobart rated with flux core or solid?

And if I do come across something heavy couldn't i just bevel the edge or bothe edges and weld bothe sides?
    Last edited by 2tay530; 06-13-2008, 08:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    In my biased opinion there are no 120v welders "With good welding capacity". In my unbiased opinion there are 120v welders that serve a purpose.
    I would second that as fairly accurate.

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Originally posted by StillBoostin View Post
    Don't go Lincoln it is not as nice as the MM140 or the HH140.

James
    Can you elaborate?

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    In my biased opinion there are no 120v welders "With good welding capacity". In my unbiased opinion there are 120v welders that serve a purpose.

Leave a comment:

• StillBoostin
    replied
    The Hobart is a great machine under $500. Just get it of the internet. There are many reputable sellers out there. Don't go Lincoln it is not as nice as the MM140 or the HH140.

James

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    The Weldpak 3200 will do just fine but I would get a Pro Mig from Lowes or the Weld-Pak 140HD at Home Depot as they have the Diamond Core Choke design- smoothes out the Arc.

They are the same machine just named differently so each store can say they sell something different and you can't price match.

Unless the 3200 is at a blow out sale price.

I built a lotta crap with a friend's Lincoln 100hd and then purchased an SP135 Plus- shoulda just purchased the 3200 and saved a few bucks

Another option is a Hobart Handler 140- Good machine too

$469.00

http://www2.northerntool.com/product/200306073.htm

or at Tractor Supply for the same price.

Leave a comment:

• 2tay530
    replied
    deafman it says it will do up to 5/16 but is that a wil exageration? i need to keep it a reasonable price($500, i know thats hard) and beable to work on a 120v outlet.

Leave a comment:

• StillBoostin
    replied
    Miller's Passport or DVI 2 does both 110v and 220v and kicks butt. The Miller MM140 is good too.

James

Leave a comment:

• deafman
    replied
    weldpak3200 good up to 1/8" steel

I had a Weldpak3200 (basically a Lincoln 125 or 130 tap transformer and a cheap regulator and face shield). I used it for a lot of sheet metal practice and even built a a small utility trailer with it. Using flux core it will weld 1/8" steel ok, some 3/16" butt welds, but using gas you are limited to about 12 or 13 gauge. I would go with a MM140 as it has continuous voltage adjustment, not tap. It is easier to use on thin material. Sometimes one tap is too cold and the next tap too hot. You can play with wire speed a little bit and get by though.
    Get a real welding mask, as trying to hold a face shield and weld at the same time doesn't leave you any extra hands. Try using .035" flux core so you won't have to buy any gas. Most of the time you can just brush off the slag. On thin material you might even try .030" flux core, but .035" will feed better.
    Last edited by deafman; 06-12-2008, 07:13 PM. Reason: clarity

Leave a comment:

• 2tay530
    replied
    sorry guys. I was thinking about going for a Mig or stick but would like to do sone stuff with some thin sheet metal projects and i know most stick machines cant do bellow like 14g.

I was thinking a lincoln like the weld pack 3200hd from home cheapot i mean depot.

Not the best place but i have limited options with my parents.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X