No announcement yet.

Build your own service truck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just pulled truck out of the shed. Kept forgetting some little stuff and the final straw was a seized choke cable on the welder I had field rigged with a clothespin. I fix that and figure it was due for oil change, 12 yrs, 205 hrs. It was time, had a couple outages added a few, fix ground clamp I had to rig with set of vice grips, fix a couple brackets and add a cord hanger, sort thru some fittings, remove some trash and a couple pieces I never use, fill the rod boxes.

Even the chipping hammer was dull, fine if you wanted to beat some slag into submission.

Comment

I don't have an inverter on my service truck, if I was a daily driver I would, mainly to recharge cordless batteries without connecting to shore power daily and to run a few zings with a grinder for fab work so I didnt have to start engine drive for light misc work. I have one on my pickup, used it to run a drill in a pinch and use it to grinder on occasion and a couple minutes with a sump pump. Its handy on occasionally although most days can work around it in the field. Battery tools has really slammed the need for it for me.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	truckbody.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.8 KB ID:	617171
        Last edited by lanceman73; 09-09-2021, 01:26 AM. Reason: This is the same body with aluminum doors for the truck swap. California B.S. lol.
        Millermatic 210
        Syncrowave 200
        Spectrum 625 X-treme
        Hobart Champion 16 W/
        Miller 8VS Suitcase
        Miller 3035 Spool Gun
        Tons of Tools
        Microwave
        Laptop and Printer
        Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	truckbody3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	617176 back from paint
          Millermatic 210
          Syncrowave 200
          Spectrum 625 X-treme
          Hobart Champion 16 W/
          Miller 8VS Suitcase
          Miller 3035 Spool Gun
          Tons of Tools
          Microwave
          Laptop and Printer

Comment

Name:	image_42397.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	617183 Now in service.
            Millermatic 210
            Syncrowave 200
            Spectrum 625 X-treme
            Hobart Champion 16 W/
            Miller 8VS Suitcase
            Miller 3035 Spool Gun
            Tons of Tools
            Microwave
            Laptop and Printer

Comment

That is about as pretty service truck as there is. Its worth it as it last a good long time. I have been playing musical trucks and didnt realize how much it effect me till L fot another can the other day. During a change over I took as much off as I put on. I was giving a lot of stuff a free ride.
              The trend in Ag and others was bigger and better and my new ride is both smaller and bigger. Bigger from old clunkers I was driving and smaller from my big service truck in the sense its a 350 van which after driving and using a couple days might like better than anything I ever used.
              I am not going to super trick it out, I am tired of that stuff and I change things some and going to keep it pruned. I dont need to carry every thing every day. I have an inverter but main reason I might want it is to run a Maxstar a rod or 2 but not really sure I am going to bother till I need it so to speak.

Comment

Name:	image_42398.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	617193 Real easy

Comment

Looks like an old crew cab fire or rescue truck. Heavy duty, lancerman. Good work.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                    Looks like an old crew cab fire or rescue truck. Heavy duty, lancerman. Good work.
                    It's not that old! 2021 with 12K miles
                    Millermatic 210
                    Syncrowave 200
                    Spectrum 625 X-treme
                    Hobart Champion 16 W/
                    Miller 8VS Suitcase
                    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
                    Tons of Tools
                    Microwave
                    Laptop and Printer

Comment

Ah. I guess it’s the service body that I think looks very old fire truck-ish. Thought it might have been repurposed on a new chassis. But either way, pretty dang nice!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	little welder 6.JPG Views:	0 Size:	35.3 KB ID:	617319 I see a trade for a longer cab for a shorter utility body. One thing nice with that truck is durability. If a guy keeps a foot out of it from every corner and decent on the freeway it likely is pretty good on fuel but tires, driveline, repairs last sooooo long compared to a overloaded smaller chassis along with larger fuel. Just dont have to trim weight or feel guilty.
                        But I really trimmed some stock from my last change. Mostly I know where I am headed and can add extra when I need and more than weight is simply having to sort thru a lot of stuff I really wasnt using now anyway.
                        When I was working oil patch I carried a lot of stock other roustabouts didnt have along with welding which they called separate trucks for most of the time. Carried steel and several hundred # bolts and pipe fittings, threading, dual torch bottles, long leads.. I test ran the machine yesterday and put it back on the little trailer. I carry a Maxstar and if I really need an engine drive will load it in a pickup or hook on to the trailer but I aint carrying it 24x7.
                        I have been refining what I actually use and need. I could have used 2 hyd jacks yesterday but simply going to get them next trip. I need to do a little cabinet work on the van yet but kind of waiting to see what I find for free and easy. I have built enough custom 3equipment in my life not .any thrill any more and looking for cheaper and easier all the time. I need less than I used to and have really reverted to more simple tools and mastery of the Channelock and Vise Grip, do as much with simple hand tools as I can. Click image for larger version  Name:	Welding truck 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	32.6 KB ID:	617316 Click image for larger version  Name:	welder box.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.8 KB ID:	617317 Click image for larger version  Name:	welder pu.JPG Views:	0 Size:	602.7 KB ID:	617318
                        Last edited by Sberry; 09-13-2021, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Battery tools have really changed things so much, reduced so much weight and size, so many less cords, dont need the constant gen set. Maxstar has near put my engine drives out of biz.

Comment

I just got a battery powered grinder, so we’ll see how it holds up. But I’m in the camp of a service trailer, which is slowly moving up on my list. As it is now, I just have to load all my junk up every time, it’s pretty annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                              Battery tools have really changed things so much, reduced so much weight and size, so many less cords, dont need the constant gen set. Maxstar has near put my engine drives out of biz.
                              That's for sure! I'm all Milwaukee. Only have a needle scaler and air hammer. Even bought their rivet gun, die grinders and soldering gun.
                              Millermatic 210
                              Syncrowave 200
                              Spectrum 625 X-treme
                              Hobart Champion 16 W/
                              Miller 8VS Suitcase
                              Miller 3035 Spool Gun
                              Tons of Tools
                              Microwave
                              Laptop and Printer

Comment

Working...
                              X