mig weld aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mig weld aluminum

in order to mig weld aluminum what is the recommended shielding gas? I've tigged aluminum before, but my cheap A$$ China freight tig doesn't have AC and what I have to weld is too much of a pain to bring to work. So I'd like to play with the mig before I go through all the B.S. of hauling this lid to work. It's a fibergladd tonneau lid for a 97-03 f-150. The frame cracked in a corner when it got blown off the sawbucks in a t-storm.

Thanks

Pete C.

You must use straight Argon to Mig weld Aluminum. 20cfm while pulling the trigger. You have a spool gun right?

James
    Last edited by StillBoostin; 05-10-2008, 07:40 PM.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
    WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
    Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
    20Ton press
    And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
    www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

DC Straight TIG welding aluminum

Originally posted by 2much2do View Post
      in order to mig weld aluminum what is the recommended shielding gas? I've tigged aluminum before, but my cheap A$$ China freight tig doesn't have AC and what I have to weld is too much of a pain to bring to work. So I'd like to play with the mig before I go through all the B.S. of hauling this lid to work. It's a fibergladd tonneau lid for a 97-03 f-150. The frame cracked in a corner when it got blown off the sawbucks in a t-storm.

Thanks

Pete C.
      If you have a DC machine and are welding 6061, try TIG welding DC negative using 100% Helium and 4043 filler metal. Has to be real clean (acetone) and try brushing with S.S. brush. Takes a little practice but results are great.

Comment

How can I tell what type of aluminum I have?

Comment

Might have to get myself a little bottle of Helium.
          Last edited by tasslehawf; 05-06-2008, 10:01 PM.
          Miller Maxstar 200 DX
          RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
          Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
          Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
          Hitachi 4.5" grinder
          http://mhayesdesign.com

Comment

Working...
          X