X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dabar39
    started a topic I think I may have saved a few lives today

I think I may have saved a few lives today

I had a guy call and talk to me about building him a new trailer, we go over the details and formalities, settle on the price and delivery date, every things going good at this point. He then asks the one question I try to avoid, "will you take my old trailer as a trade in?". I tell him that I try not to deal in used items if I can help it, but instead of holding my ground I cave and tell him to bring it by so I can look at it. After seeing this "trailer", I had no choice but to take it off the guy's hands. I think I may have saved a few lives by getting this thing off the road and sent to the grave it sorely needs. I am totally amazed at what people will drag down the road without realizing how much danger they are creating for the rest of us driving down the road, and even more amazed the police haven't stopped him before. Dave
    Attached Files

• dabar39
    replied
    decking material

jjsjeff, I use either 2x8 or 2x10 p.t. decking on all of my trailers. I don't recommend using plywood for any trailer deck. Dave

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    verry nice. i gotta make one of them lil trailors for my sprayer. its only the 25 or 35 gal version, a lil bigger then the one on the back of his quad but smaller then the one on the trailor behind it.
    i been putting it in my RM trailor but would prefer it to have its own, so i can easily us it with quad or RM (rideing Mower)

Leave a comment:

• jjsjeff
    replied
    Originally posted by dabar39 View Post
    The customer stopped by this morning to give me a deposit check for another set of trailers. He had the trailer with him and loaded so you can actually see the finished project. Dave
    What decking did you use for this trailer? I've got a 16' x 6' wide that needs a new deck.

P.S. I like the gas can holder on the front. I think I'll add that to my project list for the summer on my trailer.

-----------
    Edit: I just found the other pics of the trailer without the ATV on it. Looks like you used plywood?
    Last edited by jjsjeff; 06-14-2007, 12:16 PM. Reason: update

Leave a comment:

• dabar39
    replied
    gotta do it again

The customer stopped by this morning to give me a deposit check for another set of trailers. He had the trailer with him and loaded so you can actually see the finished project. Dave
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    next time i am down that way i'll whip one up for ya.

Leave a comment:

• dabar39
    replied
    paint

HMW,

I have tried all sorts of products over the years but I found for the price and durability rustoleum rusty metal primer and then top coat with rustoleum enamel gives me the best bang for the buck. I've tried all sorts of industrial coatings and none seem to hold up as well, I've tried going high dollar and also going cheap, and rustoleum out does them all for what I'm using it for. I know I have probably left myself open for everyone to suggest other products, but if the are out there I haven't found them yet.

fun4now, I'll take a roastbeef and provalone on a hard roll, mayo, salt and pepper,with a little bit of lettuce and don't forget the large Iced Tea to wash it down with.

Thanks for the compliments guys, I really appreciate it, but stop it now as my head won't be fitting back in the hood if it keeps getting swelled up.

Leave a comment:

• gnewby
    replied
    Wife and I saw something interesting this past Sat. night. We were driving down one of the main highways in our town when we started to pull up along side of a pickup pulling a fairly large trailer on the trailer were about 3 4-wheelers and then there was a smaller trailer behind the 4-wheelers. What caught my eye was one of the tie down straps was trailing along behind the large trailer as it was going down the highway. As we pulled up to a stoplight in the center of town this pickup pulling the trailer was in the inside lane and I was in the outside lane just a short ways behind the larger trailer. I noticed that the tie down strap seemed to be tied to the side rails of the trailer but the strap was busted in the center area and there was no ratchet to the strap anyplace. I was sitting there wondering what the strap was supposed to be holding in place, and wondering if the guy had lost part of his load off the trailer. When the light turned green the guy driving the pickup started to pull ahead rapidly and here came the little trailer shooting off of the larger trailer.

The smaller trailer was probably about 4-5' wide and about 9-10' long. The back of the small trailer hit the highway and the was still coming back when it hung on the tongue of the small trailer. The pickup did a very fast stop there in the highway and the passengers in the pickup looked very surprised. I was very glad I was not in the same lane as the pickup and trailer was in. The vehicle behind them came very close to being hit by the small trailer as it slid off the larger one.

I imagine those guys in the pickup will remember that incident for a long time to come. Hope they do a better job of tieing down the load they are hauling in the future and maybe check the straps once in awhile to make sure everything is still okay.

Leave a comment:

• HMW
    replied
    Nice trailers. What do you use for paint?

Leave a comment:

• jfsmith
    replied
    Dabar,

That is a really sweet trailer, is that what you use to hauler those other trailers to the dump with?

Jerry

Leave a comment:

• weld_13
    replied
    nice work! i might eventually make another utility trailor so we can fit all our atvs on one better.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    well i dont know.. .. there are some afully deep groves in those tires you put on it...are you shore there safe like that?
    thats some fine work you did there no ? about it. i wish i lived closer, i would bring ya lunch so i could hang out and watch ya work once in a wile. you clearly build quality trailors. those that get them are lucky to have that kind of quality as an option.
    the mass produced ones just are not werth a dang. your's are well above them no ??great lil set of trailors you made for him. will probly increase his buisness just on aperaences alone.

Leave a comment:

• dabar39
    replied
    You saw what I got, here's what he got

Just thought I would show what he left with compared to what he came with. The little trailer is going to be outfitted with a small chemical tank and a small gas powered pump for pond stabilization at the local golf courses and will be towed behind a 4 wheeler. The bigger trailer is for the 4 wheeler and tank trailer to be stored on while in transport. Believe it or not he used to tow his 4 wheeler on that pieces of junk I cut up for him. Dave
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• weld_13
    replied
    i have to agree thats pretty good right there. know im gonna watch who i buy trailers from and check the tires.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    now thats just funny , i dont care who ya are.
    then when he starts looking at it funny, tell him for $75 you could set him up with some better rubber .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X