Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSW
    replied
    Hey, we can trailer our 80k Cat 988 rubbertired loader! You just need a bigger truck and trailer! I have seen some BIG boats on lowboy trailers. The guy I used to work for had his 40' topaz moved on a trailer. Yes it was a permit / wideload and we had to take down the tower.

I was thinking more on the lines of costal craft as opposed to a john boat.

For a small boat I could see a Alum frame and thin alum attached with water tight poprivits. Basically the same as a john boat. I could however see the same thing done in SS done at 4x+ the weight.

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Originally posted by DSW View Post
    I don't see why it wouldn't be posible if you had the funds and time. There are a lot of designs out there for plywood boats. I would think that the rib and shell system wood work ok if you translated it to metal. Its the basic idea behind larger vessals.

I've done wood and fiberglass boats. The only steel was on a barge. ie floating steel box.

If you have the funds, SS would be top notch. Also alum, but my alum skills would need to be a lot better.
    "and trailerable"

Leave a comment:

• DSW
    replied
    I don't see why it wouldn't be posible if you had the funds and time. There are a lot of designs out there for plywood boats. I would think that the rib and shell system wood work ok if you translated it to metal. Its the basic idea behind larger vessals.

I've done wood and fiberglass boats. The only steel was on a barge. ie floating steel box.

If you have the funds, SS would be top notch. Also alum, but my alum skills would need to be a lot better.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    I have and I constanly repair boats daily mostly they are all aluminum on the hulls I work on. I do repair some steel hulls tho.
    You could do it.
    Shape (design) and warpage control would be your biggest obstacles on prototypes. Steel would be heavy also and by the time you used thin enuff material to keep the weight down it would be weak. Prolly why you don't see small steel boats much untill thicker materials are not so much a factor.
    Painting the backsides of everything could prove impossible after welding so rust would catch up to you quickly. Not saying you could not do it just saying there is more than enuff reasons NOT to use steel in a trailerable boat.
    Aluminum makes much more sense...IMO

Leave a comment:

• weekend welder
    started a topic Steel Boatbuilding

Steel Boatbuilding

Has anyone here ever done any boatbilding? Id like to try my hand at it. somthing small maybee 16-18 foot and trailerable. and if that goes well maybee a larger boat for coastal cruising. Has anyone been involved in such things? Im interested in knowing if there are any specialty skills needed. I am a pretty good stick welder and I am also very good at MIG and flux core.
Working...
X