X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dabeldesign
    replied
    Originally posted by beamwalker View Post
    im using .072 for all all apps. for small stuff i run one downhill then one back up hill. this is a high speed wire. if you using tb 302 you need about 24.3 volts on wire setting. your wire speed should be close to 175 ipm. keep wire in puddle and wait for flux to catch up to you. you can see it. it looks like little gold specks in it. should come off pretty easy. if you see chicken tracks then increase wire speed a little. should lay a caulk joint almost. on verts same thing let flux push you up. will peel by itself dont stay in one spot to long as it will shoot right thru 1/2 inch steel. your amps will read about 230-250.
    Nice info, thanks Beamwalker!

Leave a comment:

• beamwalker
    replied
    im using .072 for all all apps. for small stuff i run one downhill then one back up hill. this is a high speed wire. if you using tb 302 you need about 24.3 volts on wire setting. your wire speed should be close to 175 ipm. keep wire in puddle and wait for flux to catch up to you. you can see it. it looks like little gold specks in it. should come off pretty easy. if you see chicken tracks then increase wire speed a little. should lay a caulk joint almost. on verts same thing let flux push you up. will peel by itself dont stay in one spot to long as it will shoot right thru 1/2 inch steel. your amps will read about 230-250.

Leave a comment:

• dabeldesign
    replied
    Originally posted by beamwalker View Post
    you are 1st one to use this on this forum that ive found. nobody in my area knows how to use it. or ever heard of it
    Actually, it was .068" NR-232 (don't know where I got the 5/64" from...sorry). I used it a couple years ago but I have yet to run it on my rig (like I said, I don't even have the right gun or drive rolls for my feeder to run it). I'm all set up for mobile work but I've stayed busy in the shop for about 6 mos. Probably 70% of what I do in the shop has been short-arc Mig (using my suitcase 8rc). I don't really do structural work, just repairs and custom fab (small shop ). So far with the heavier fab work, I've gotten by fine with 6011 and 7018 rod.

I'm curious, what are you guys running and for what application (pipe, structural steel, etc, etc)?I've seen a few people using coreshield 8 around here for structural work(don't remember the size though)...
    Last edited by dabeldesign; 05-27-2007, 07:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    It isn't very popular around me either. I haven't used it either...yet. Dual shield actually worked a little better for my needs. I plan on getting some Hobart T-8 wire soon, though. Have something coming up that it should be perfect for.

Leave a comment:

• beamwalker
    replied
    Originally posted by dabeldesign View Post
    Yeah, I need another wirefeeder to set-up and run 5/64" NR-232 wire. The 211 is only really good for the thinner stuff espeically when it's only .035" dia wire.
    you are 1st one to use this on this forum that ive found. nobody in my area knows how to use it. or ever heard of it

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    Yup, you are limited to VS only, Sam. No short circuit, but it will run a mean flux core and dual shield. FWIW, there was a Super S-32P in the San Antonio Craig's List the other day. It was the model that preceeded the 12VS. Mine works great.

Leave a comment:

• ranchersam
    replied
    Bobcat options

So if you have a Bobcat 250, your only option is a VS. Looks like I'll be looking at a 12 vs xtreme soon.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    Hey dda52 about 140 miles or so.
    you planing on doing mobile work without taking the welder out of the shop.? the extention cords are not only going to be expensive but heavy and hard to role up.

Leave a comment:

• shade tree welder
    replied
    wire feders

sounds like the rc feeder is the better of the two, more versatile, i guess no way around the cables. Thanks for the info gang. Hey dda52 about 140 miles or so.

Leave a comment:

• dabeldesign
    replied
    Yeah, I need another wirefeeder to set-up and run 5/64" NR-232 wire. The 211 is only really good for the thinner stuff espeically when it's only .035" dia wire.

Leave a comment:

• beamwalker
    replied
    i have a pow-con feeder that was probably some sort of prototype. no one has seen one b4. im running .072 232 innershield wire at 24.3 volts on a 302. dont know what it will run on 301 yet but i use 24.5 volts on tb 251. this is a very fast and strong wire. its almost same size as 3/32 lo/hy rod. (sparklers). im capable of outwelding stick 5 to 1 now. that 211 wire is fine for 1 pass. you cant stack welds with it it will crack. ive pulled my partners welds loose on other side and he was welding at same time i was and i broke everyone of his

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    so its a top end amp thing, cool i was just wondering. i know the passport is limited on the top end so running it off the TB could be a disadvantage over the feeder.
    thanks for taking the time to give an opinion. sorry to side-track the post.

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    For me, having one unit that will run .023 on thin stuff and then turn around and burn .045 solid or 1/16 or 5/65 FC at 300 plus amps is the better way. If I didn't have the TB, then maybe a Passport might be a better feeder.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    just wondering would some thing like a passport work or is the low amp top end a problem ?? just wondering as it wouod seem lik just running an extention cord would be nice. probly no help to ya but i'm cureous what you guys with then feeder think about the passport as an option and why the feeder is a better choice??

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    Gettin' hot, Shade. A tree would be nice where I was today.

I use both the VS and RC, mainly because it is easier to just set one up for a wire and leave it. I guess I am getting lazy in my old age.

If I had to choose between the RC and VS, and only keep one, it would be the RC. As Mac said, it will do it all.....as long as you are within 75' of the machine. I have run both VS feeders with .035 solid and C-25 on 1/8 MS. They both performed flawlessly. That was at 17vdc. At 15vdc, the contactor will cut out, so that will limit the low end. That isn't a factor with the RC. Yes, running the extra cable is a big pain, but then so is that freakin' voltage sensing clip. The VS feeders are fairly sensitive to bad connections. Sometimes, you spend more time getting a good connection with the clip, than actually welding.

How far away from San Antonio are you? I'd let you run them side by side to see what you think.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X