Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HMW
    • Mar 2006

I use a Walter brand. Kinda of expensive, but they work great. Also I like the ones with the hub in them, alll ready threaded so requires no wrench to change. You usually pay for what you get, but if you only use it once in ahwile cheap is OK.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

• fun4now
      • Aug 2006

i'm going to order some of the vally brand with the hub threaded in 120 grit. i have been using the walters. kinda gotten addicted to the built in nut/threaded part. i suppose ya just have to decide if the built in nut is worth $0.56 each?
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

• Handy560
        • Dec 2007

nuts!

Just wanted to mention my grinders are the Metabo whivh have a nut you just spin on and off with your fingers, but I still like the ones with the nut cause you can change them 1,2 ,3 even with your gloves on!

Happy Flappy...
        Last edited by Handy560; 03-21-2008, 08:38 AM.
        John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
        MM 175
        Maxstar 150 STL
        Blue Star 185 DX
        Spectrum 375

Comment

• HMW
          • Mar 2006

I have Metabos also, their great. I dont have the quick change ones though, Not having the nut to fool with is worth .56 to me I charge them to the job anyway.
          But if I only used them once in awhile, and was never in a hurry, it would save you $5 every ten discs, the Walters are high enough as it is
          Scott

Comment

• JimYoung
            • Jan 2007

check this site ... I have been happy with their disc and support.

Jim
            sigpicJim Young
            www.JimYo.com
            www.youtube.com/jimyo01

Comment

• DDA52
              • Oct 2005

I have used Lehigh Valley's as well, but won't recommend them. My standard disc I get from my LWS will last 5x longer...at close to the same price. You do get what you pay for in abrasives.
              Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
              '06 12RC feeder
              Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
              Esab Multimaster 260
              Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

• Vicegrip
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by HMW View Post
                I use a Walter brand. Kinda of expensive, but they work great. Also I like the ones with the hub in them, alll ready threaded so requires no wrench to change. You usually pay for what you get, but if you only use it once in ahwile cheap is OK.
                i also like the Walter flap disks. You can swap them on and off the angle grinder and they stay concentric. Non threaded disks can and often get a little off center and when you use them some they get round and run smooth. If you take the disk off and then reuse it they are off center and cutting rough untill they wear in. I use standard grinding wheels for large area removal and then flp disks for finish or detail work. The Norton stuff at Home Despot are junk even the ones with hubs.
                Last edited by Vicegrip; 03-21-2008, 04:47 PM.
                Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Comment

• HMW
                  • Mar 2006

Here is the web site for the ones I use, and we use them at work also, very good get them from LWS. The cut off wheels are well worth the money, last lots longer than cheaper brands

Scott

Comment

• tacmig
                    • Aug 2007

A user note:

One thing I think we all forgot to mention is that we all have a different hand. I can make a disk last 2 and even sometimes 3 times longer than my guys who can grind down a chop saw cut-off blade in no time. I think that sometimes they have contests to see who can go through the most blades and disks in a week!? So I think that perhaps this thread may be a bit subjective in nature. However, I did notice that Monte may have been equally interested in our experience with flap disks as he is not a frequent user of them. To this I would say that for fine finish, flap disks are a must and as far as the actual disk itself I guess my advice would to start cheap and work your way up until you have found the brand that works for you..

TacMig
                    We depend On:
                    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
                    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
                    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
                    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
                    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
                    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
                    American National Standards Institute
                    American Welding Society
                    The Welding Institute
                    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
                    Metal Cr
                    afters

Comment

• tnjind
                      • Oct 2007

tacmig,
                      You said it.

Cheap stuff works for me. But no sharp edges, easy pressure, pay attention.
                      They can last or they can go away quick depending on the person using it.

Comment

• fun4now
                        • Aug 2006

side by side ........ almost

FWIW: here is a side by side of a walter and a vally disk. keep in mind the walter is a 60 grit and the Vally is a 120, so that will have some effect in the thickness.
                        i very much like the walter disks but as a hobby guy or even a small business on a tight budget the Vally disks are a better option. they are a quality disk with good life to them. perhaps not as good as the walter but at a 4 to 1 price difference its hard to justify the walter's on a tight budget.
                        Attached Files
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

• Dmaxer
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                          FWIW: here is a side by side of a walter and a vally disk. keep in mind the walter is a 60 grit and the Vally is a 120, so that will have some effect in the thickness.
                          i very much like the walter disks but as a hobby guy or even a small business on a tight budget the Vally disks are a better option. they are a quality disk with good life to them. perhaps not as good as the walter but at a 4 to 1 price difference its hard to justify the walter's on a tight budget.
                          C'mon. That comparison is nowhere near apples to apples. The thickness of the grit coatings alone will account for the difference....even if both were the same brand. I like Lehigh Valley too. Let's try to be objective.
                          Last edited by Dmaxer; 03-22-2008, 12:24 AM.
                          Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
                          Miller S-22A wirefeeder
                          Bernard 400A "Q" gun
                          Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
                          CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
                          Hypertherm Powermax 30
                          O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

Comment

• fun4now
                            • Aug 2006

i never said they were the same, did you read my post at all or just look at the pic. its just what i had on hand. i did mention keep in mind the walter is a 60 grit and the Vally is a 120, so that will have some effect in the thickness.

i may have an 80 grit in the vally i'll look tomarow 4 shore, it may even be an 80grit, i just know i had more 120's then 80's
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            JAMES

Comment

• fabricator
                              • Dec 2007

Anyone try the ceramic grain yet? I just ordered 26, 4-1/2 inch.(12 60 grit,7 80 grit,and 7 120 grit) gonna give them a try.they claim to last much longer. for $ 2.35 each that aint bad.
                              on a seperate note,dont wast your money or time with DETROIT INDUSTRIAL TOOL. those people continually call trying to sell me something.well this time when they said they have a new disk that performs as well as a flap disk but lasts twice as long and made in the U.S.A i said sure send me 25.well these look and grind EXACTLY like a standard 1/8 grinding disk.(they also claim that they were flexable) NOT! I payed $96 with shipping and they had china stamped on them.
                              2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
                              1- Blue star 185
                              1- BOBCAT 250
                              1- TRAILBLAZER 302
                              1- MILLER DVI
                              2- PASSPORT PLUS
                              1- DYNASTY 200 DX
                              1- DYNASTY 280 DX
                              1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
                              1- HF-251 BOX
                              1- S-74D
                              1- S-75DXA
                              2- 12-RC SUITCASES
                              1- 8-VS SUITCASE
                              2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

• Handy560
                                • Dec 2007

Made in China...

That whole thing with the advertising U.S. made and then being made in China really pisses me off

They play on our sentiments and of course I try to back up American workers when I can; sometimes even if it means paying a bit more.

I did a house for a guy who owned a big guitar company. He advertised "Made in USA" and someone found a "Made in China" sticker on one. Got sued and Feds fined him millions...

Of course, the same guy tried to stiff my for like $15K.

I wonder how "flexible" they'll think they are if ya shove them up their @ss.
                                John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
                                MM 175
                                Maxstar 150 STL
                                Blue Star 185 DX
                                Spectrum 375

Comment

Working...
                                X