X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monte55
    replied
    Originally posted by bullchuck View Post
    montee55 you always come up with some good ideas on home made tools. i plan on making a twister and have a couple of questions.

do you know how much output torque your gear box has ? i have look at some from surplus center and they range from 336 to 3000 inch #.

the shaft that comes off the gear box that turns the picket , is that a impact socket welded on it ?

also could you post some pics of the switch that you talk about ?

keep up the good work. thanks Mark
    Mark
    The torque depends on input power, gear ratio etc..My gearbox has a 5/8" input shaft and a 1" output. I'm sure it'll do more than I am using it for now. The size of the output shaft and the gearbox itself is a good indicator of how stout the unit is and what it can do. Don't skimp on your gearbox........it's the heart of your machine. I have no idea what the torque of mine is.....It falls under the category of "Twist the crap out of it"
    It is a 1 1/8 x 1/2 drive socket welded to the end of the mandrel.
    The switch circuit is a little complicated and I don't know how to put diagrams
    on the computer. It could be as simple as a cam on the shaft tripping a light switch.

Leave a comment:

• Handy560
    replied
    Left hand blue...

When I saw the title "twister" I expected to see some tarts on a mat with colored dots...

But this twister is even COOLER.

Nice job Monte and nice baskets c neck!

Leave a comment:

• bullchuck
    replied
    montee55 you always come up with some good ideas on home made tools. i plan on making a twister and have a couple of questions.

do you know how much output torque your gear box has ? i have look at some from surplus center and they range from 336 to 3000 inch #.

the shaft that comes off the gear box that turns the picket , is that a impact socket welded on it ?

also could you post some pics of the switch that you talk about ?

keep up the good work. thanks Mark

Leave a comment:

• c neck
    replied
    thanks dabar 39

Leave a comment:

• dabar39
    replied
    Monte was talking about King Architectural metals, here's a link to their website. http://www.kingmetals.com/Default.aspx?Page=Home

Leave a comment:

• c neck
    replied
    thanks its going to open in april and the owner said
    he buy me dinner so im going to take pics. then
    what is king, i do get some things from decorative iron.
    i buy 20 ft 1/2 solid sq.for $13.00 and 1/4 cold rolled
    for the baskets .51 cents a foot on line the belly pickets
    with a basket are around $13.00 each plus $1.70 each
    to ship, the baskets cost me $1.04 each and .65 cents
    a foot for the 1/2 sq. lets say 3 feet thats $1.95
    so the hole picket cost me $2.99
    monte 55 you could make baskets on that machine
    twist 1 and a 1/2 times clockwise and then un twist
    1 full turn
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    C Neck: Waiting for those pics of your project up at the resturaunt!!!
    Monte, your twister is SOOO cool it's SCARY!!!!!
    GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (and thanks for all the info!!!!!!!!!)

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    I purchace the baskets from King. Not worth trying to make yourself for what they cost.

Leave a comment:

• willy
    replied
    Nice

Very nice - how did you make the baskets?

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    That should make a great platform to work off of. The main thing about twisting metal is to have a uniform speed untill the twist is done. Starting and stopping as when done by hand tends to make it uneven and may have a bow it it. When we first started, we made a jig to do it by hand. Since we couldn't keep a constant pressure and speed, the results were just so so. With each stroke by hand, the metal heats and cools as compared to a continuous motion which I found makes a more uniform twist. On larger square like one inch solid, we heated in a forge till red then twisted.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    There is a local company that left some old machinery, worn gears, and gearboxes on their dock for removal. We ask them if we could have some parts and they said to take what we wanted. We did. We made two picket twisters, still have some gears left.......I got one other gearbox that has a heavy 90VDC motor that bolts right into it. Haven't found a project for it yet.
    I'm thimking something mobile that runs off a bank of batteries. It' bigger than the gearbox on the twister...very well built.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    thats way cool.
    where did you get the gear box??

Leave a comment:

• c neck
    replied
    pickets

did you make the baskets these are the ones i made
    Attached Files

Leave a comment: