Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trap Doctor
    • Sep 2005

Thanks Everyone for all the great info. I will post photo's when the project is complete.

jim

Comment

• Darmik
      • Oct 2006

Surge Protectors

Hey Bmxin^Bjorn sounds to me like you know how to use one of those and ya I did that running vehicle thing to that's why I have one.
      O ya before I forget how much for the white cargo trailer in your yard?I pass it every day on my way to work.I have an F150 XL that should be good enough eh.?To weld on a welder dont use that welder use a different one that 251 very fussey machine I know I paid $4400.00.for one MM251.

Comment

• HMW
        • Mar 2006

Darmik,
        Even though we dont have a surge surpressor I cant see how you could use it wrong form your picture. Looks like you hook it up to the positive and negative terminals and turn it on. Is there more to it than that? I can't tell from your pic or the catalog. How does it work? Must be like a big condensor inside?? The last CAT ECM we bought was around $1000.00 + 300.00 in Fees from the dealer to download all the data into it. And we didn't burn it up welding it just went bad. All the CAT schools we have attended said disconnect the battieries AND the ECM. So for $1300.00 I think we'll still unplug them. On a side note, we have welded on trucks many times and forgot to unhook everything and nothing happened, lucky I guess. Sometimes we can get away with something 100 times, then it bites us
        Scott
        HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

• Darmik
          • Oct 2006

battery's

I guess. Sometimes we can get away with something 100 times, then it bites us

you forgot to finish that line( right in the azz) and you are so very right.
          I'm not saying dont unplug them it's just another step but safety does come first.I'm sure it will me as well but for the time that I have been in this business it hasen't happened yet and hopefully it never does. but as everybody knows sh!t happens eh at some point in time.You, Bmxin^Bjorn and I could go on about this subject probably forever with agree and disagree but I think you , Bmxin^Bjorn and myself we are all right on the money about this one tiny subject.Thaks for your in put though.When I was in autobody you were only required to disconnect the neg side of the battery I got out as soon as I got my papers but a friend of mine still disconnects the neg side.

Comment

• JonnyTIG
            • Jun 2006

In working for Finning I have never used or seen used a surge protector, though I have used them in the automotive industry. In two years I've not heard of any ECM or electronic failiures due to welding on CATS. In my opinion those problems stem from improper grounds. Maybe I'll get bit in the ... one day.
            Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
            Esab PCM 1000

Comment

• sjmiller
              • Sep 2005

Disconnect the Battery

I needed to do some welds on the rear bumper of my RV, I didn't disconnect the battery because I was grounding a few inches from the weld location. It only cost me $200 to replace the stereo - won't do that again.

Steve

Comment

• HMW
                • Mar 2006

Funny how this started on bottle racks and ended up on surge surpressors Never know which way these will go.
                Scott
                HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

• Bmxin^Bjorn
                  • Jan 2007

Darmik Hey Bmxin^Bjorn sounds to me like you know how to use one of those and ya I did that running vehicle thing to that's why I have one.
                  O ya before I forget how much for the white cargo trailer in your yard?I pass it every day on my way to work.I have an F150 XL that should be good enough eh.?To weld on a welder dont use that welder use a different one that 251 very fussey machine I know I paid $4400.00.for one MM251.

Hey Darmik i think the cargo trailer your talking about belongs to a customer and isent for sale.. sorry.. the truck would be fine tho.. the customer is using a ford ranger to tow it .. i'm not 100% shure witch one your talking about tho. We dont sell cargo trailers because theres no money in it for us.. but i know our surrey location sells em. we only sell utility and huge custom trailers.
                  Jorgensen MFG.
                  Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
                  [email protected]
                  www.ehhitch.com

Comment

• Darmik
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by HMW View Post
                    Funny how this started on bottle racks and ended up on surge surpressors Never know which way these will go.
                    Hey HMW that's to funny
                    Last edited by Darmik; 05-06-2007, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X