Spoolmatic 30a and Millermatic 185?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoolmatic 30a and Millermatic 185?

I have a Millermatic 185 that's a couple years old and I just inherited a Spoolmatic 30a w/WC-24 controller.

What do I need to get these two to work together? It looks like I need a WC-115a controller and a special plug adapter #039 618, but it's kind of hard to tell.

My work makes it nearly impossible for me to call Miller directly during their business hours, so I'm posting the question here first.

I'm really looking forward to doing some projects in aluminum but don't really have the financial wherewithal to spend the money on the SGA-100 & the 3035 Spoolmate. If I can get the 30a to work on my 185 MIG relatively inexpensively, I'd be eternally grateful!

Thanks in advance,
    Wade
  • 84ZMike
    • Aug 2006

I think your best bet would be to fill out this form and contact Miller if you can't call them http://www.millerwelds.com/service/contactus.html The MM185 has a spool gun that was made for it a Spoolmatic 185 or something like that.....it is however very similar to the 3035 I have been told.I'm sure you could sell the 30A to fund getting the right one for the MM185.
    Mike
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

Comment

• yorkiepap
      • Jan 2007

Spoolgun..

Hey Wade,
      I am in a similar predicament as you. I want a spoolgun for my Challenger172 and wrote to Miller Technical Support and was informed that my machine, as yours, would need to go to the 3035 & SGA100 to be functional. I surmise that the input connect cables are set up differently than the older Miller units that were adaptable to the older 30A & other spoolguns. So, been hunting for a reasonable price on the 3035 & SGA100. Good Luck...Denny
      * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
      * Mobile unit *
      * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
      * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
      * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
      * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Comment

• 84ZMike
        • Aug 2006

I don't believe your Challenger 172 had a spool gun available for it,but the MM185 does and is made to accept the Spoolamatic 185....the older units (unsure of date etc.) needed a "kit" similar to the one used on the Hobart IronMan units that included a toggle switch to select the spool gun.
        Mike
        HH210 with SG

Comment

• aametalmaster
          Chairman Of The Board
          • Sep 2005

I have the MM185 and the matching 185 spoolgun which is the 3035 and it will plug right into your machine and work where the 30a needs different ends to work and i can't remember what they look like right off. I agree on selling the 30a and what controls and get a 3035 gun but thats up to you. All my 185 gun has is a wire to go to the postive post and the round Miller prong plug that yours may already have so it may just be a bolt on job plus the argon line that installs inside the case with a clamp. I don't think you need a controller at all. I will gladly take pics if you need them...Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

• 84ZMike
            • Aug 2006

Here is a pic. of the Spoolmatic 185.
            Mike
            Here is a link with a better view...a bit high on price.
            Attached Files
            HH210 with SG

Comment

• aametalmaster
              Chairman Of The Board
              • Sep 2005

I paid 400 bucks for mine 8 years ago and don't regret 1 penny of it, the only thing i couldn't stand was the puny threaded tips but 5 minutes in the lathe took care of that problem. Cheaper priced tips available and all my tip burnback wire sticking in the tip problems was eliminated. There was a guy selling the 3035's on ebay for 385 bucks and i had the link saved but now i can't find it...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
              X