Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 84ZMike
    • Aug 2006

Lets toss another one "in the mix" if you will....a portable cold saw....catalogue I got today shows $895.00 and it is far above and beyond the quality cut a chop or band saw could ever produce.
    Mike

The Hyd-Mech P225 Cold Saw is a lightweight bench model that can be easily moved to various workstations to complete cutting operations throughout the shop or on the job site. Durable cast iron construction means that the P225 can cut solids, tubing and structural shapes quickly, with a smooth, mill-like finish. Miter cuts are easily achieved with a head that moves 45 degrees left. High quality saw construction utilizes a bronze worm gear and hardened ground worm screw gear box in an oil bath. Lubrication is provided to the blade and material by the integral coolant system during the cutting process.
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

Comment

• HMW
      • Mar 2006

Your right, we tried a demo. Like a wood cutting circular saw but turned slow. Cut a piece of 3/8 flat bar right off. very smooth. No sparks and catches the metal chips. They also make bench models. Pretty cool. I think it was an "evolution" brand. Chop saw is $449.88 with blade about $100.00. The circular saw model is about $300.00 or so. At least according to the sales flyer from my local welding supplier.
      Scott
      HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

• 84ZMike
        • Aug 2006

You are thinking about the Morse Metal D evil line...... I tried the blades in my circular saw (talked with there eng. dept. they said it would work just fine) it did o.k. but just didn't last......... for that much $ I'd go with a Millwakee first...... the cold saw I listed is different as it uses a coolant system and turns at 50 RPM's and the cut quality is awsome.
        Mike
        HH210 with SG

Comment

• WireJames
          • Apr 2007

My Ronco saw. Set it and forget it!

Comment

• sjmiller
            • Sep 2005

Chop Saw or Band Saw

I started out with an abrasive chop saw, migrated to a cut-off blade on my angle grinder (for small work) - then to a portable bandsaw. I'm now shopping for a horizontal band saw for my shop (hobby). The band saw gives me a more precise cut (less grinding & fitting), without the fire starting sparks of an abrasive wheel.

I'm not selling nor do I have an interest in Stout tools - but I bought their portable band saw and table stand for about $200US - it can cut up to 1 1/2inch stock. That being said - as a hobbyist I rarely work with big stock or thick plate. The band saw cut time on 1/8" X 1" 90 degree angle is about the same as my angle grinder - less noise and no sparks...

Steve

Comment

• HMW
              • Mar 2006

84Zmike...no I wasn't referring to the saw blades for a regular saw. Although I'm glad you tried them and posted your findings. I was wondering how they did. This is a regular "slower" turning cold saw made to cut metal. This saw is a little less expensive than the one in your post, but this one doesn't have a cooling system either. The one in your post might be better. Although this one worked great I don't know how long the blades would last since we only had it for the day. Here's the link, I think. They also show the "circular saw" type. It worked good also, but again dont know how long the blades would last. I kinda like the one in your post.

Chicago Brand Online Retail - Online tool store featuring Tube Benders, Tube notchers, machinist tools, and tool belts
              Scott

Comment

• 84ZMike
                • Aug 2006

Morse makes the evolution saw.....Milwakee,dewalt and a few others make them as well.....the cold saw is completely different and a much nicer cut.
                Mike
                HH210 with SG

Comment

• HMW
                  • Mar 2006

Hi Mike, I checked em all out. It seems that besides the cost, the big difference between the Evolution, Millwaukee, dewalt and the cold saw you posted is RPM. A regular "abrasive wheel" cut off saw runs around 2800 rpms, the Millwaukee/dewalt/evolution "cold saw" runs around 1500 rpm and the hyd-mech brand you posted runs very slow at just 50 RPM. Plus that one has coolant too. That alone will help with blade life. I think if I was going to buy a new "cold" saw I would buy the Hyd-mech brand you posted. The evolution worked OK but I'm sure at 50 rpms and coolant pump the Hyd-mech would be a better one. Just might have to get one now

Scott
                  Scott

Comment

• Bert
                    • Mar 2007

Saw (no pun intended) this one yet? Bought it for $500 with an extra blade.

bert
                    I'm not late...
                    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

• MYBOYDAVE
                      • Apr 2007

Thanks To All

Thanks To All Of You Who Replied To My Thread
                      Readind All Of The Replies, Im Going For The Portable Band Saw.
                      I Wish I Could Afford The Vertical Or Horizontal Ones But I Cant.
                      I Thought About The The Dust ,cost Of All The Blades I Will Have To Buy And Keep On Hand ,the Possibility Of Flying Debree And Everthing Else You Guys Explained.i Will Getting The Milwuakee Variable Speed Portable Band Saw. The Cost Is About $300.00 Plus Tax.

Comment

• HMW
                        • Mar 2006

The portable band saw will be good to use. Also cool looking saw Bert!
                        Scott

Comment

• jamlit
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by MYBOYDAVE View Post
                          I Thought About The The Dust ,cost Of All The Blades I Will Have To Buy And Keep On Hand ,the Possibility Of Flying Debree And Everthing Else You Guys Explained.i Will Getting The Milwuakee Variable Speed Portable Band Saw. The Cost Is About $300.00 Plus Tax.

Please post how your bandsaw works out for you so others that have read this post and are debating the same question can see how you feel about your decision. I hope works out for you and the bandsaw works well.
                          Little Fabrication
                          sigpic
                          Miller DVI2
                          Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                          Thermodynamics cutmaster 38
                          HF 130 tig

Third Class Power Engineer

Comment

• Camaro Zach
                            • Dec 2005

You will not be dissapointed with that! I use mine daily and i'm not sure how i'd do without it. BTW when I purchased mine I found the best price from Amazon.com something like $260 w/$50 gift certificate and free shipping.
                            Zach
                            AIM: Zachary188

Comment

• Bilbobaker
                              • May 2007

Hey Guys First Time On The Board
                              Just Got Into Welding And I Think Its Great
                              I Already Got About 3 Or 4 Different Projects I Want To Do
                              But I Need The Right Tools First
                              What Do You Think The First Cutting Tool Should Be
                              A Chop Saw Or A Portable Band Saw
                              This Is Not My Job Just For Fun
                              Thanks In Advance To All Who Reply
                              I still haven't made up my mind on the band saw hot saw question but in the mean time I have had great luck using my Milwawkee Super Sawzall with a long bimetal blade.
                              Works great and it's quiet and not much mess.

Comment

• bikecollector12
                                • May 2007

I bought an abrasive chop saw first... it did the job for much less money. About 3 months after that I bought the Milwaukee dry cut machine and I've never been happier.. I can actually cut a 1/16 piece out of some tubing.. It's very precise which is good for fit ups, making sure your project is square, and does wonders for any tig welding jobs. I have a portable bandsaw that collects dust... but the stand up works well for steeper angle cuts and weird cuts that might be difficult with the dry cut machine.

Comment

Working...
                                X