New small mig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New small mig

Hey guys,It looks like I need to be thinking of getting a small mig. Actually I have been thinking about it for a long time.Ever since I got rid of my 250x I have really missed not having a mig in the shop.Even though I dont miss that machine.So ever since the passport came out I have been just waiting to see its track record. Now the problem, I really like the feature of being able to plug in to both voltages. I am not sure that I need that however. The other two contenders are the hh187 and the lincoln180 based on feedback here; and personal feedback. For those of you who have praised the pm180 is that the taped or adjustable current model? Is the arc comparable on these 3 units? The main job I will be using it for is to fix tables that always get broken at our church. The material is mild steel very thin wall and takes alot of abuse. Over the last 5 years I have fixed them with my maxstar140 mostly stick welding with either stoody versa alloy ,or a 309 s/s rod. So far I have not had any failures and have fixed about 50 joints. Before that I took my trailblazer up there. So, it is getting eaiser to go there make the repair and be on my way. I guess I have to decide whether the passport is worth almost twice as much for the dual voltage imput, and the convenince of on board gas source. If anyone has anything to add about this decision it would be appreciated. Thanks Chub

Just wandering if anyone could comment on theses machines? Do those of you who have bought the passport fell it is worth the extra money for the features it has? Thanks Chub

Comment

I have no experrience with any of them, but I really like the idea of a Passport for a small portable MIG.

Comment

Chub 380 (forgot your real name)

Thin wall, I would just pick up a Hobart 140 and a small bottle of C-25/ C02

If you still have my # give me a call off line.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Scott V View Post
          Chub 380 (forgot your real name)

Thin wall, I would just pick up a Hobart 140 and a small bottle of C-25/ C02

If you still have my # give me a call off line.

Scott
          I second and third that.
          Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
          Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
          Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
          Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

I spent the extra for a Passport and don't regret a cent. Very handy, welds super on 110 and co2 and still gives the option of using other gases and plugging into 220 for more juice. It really gives you two machines in one. If it was gone tomorrow I'd replace it without a second thought towards anything else.

Comment

The portablility of the Passport is 2nd to non and with it carring it's own gas, well that makes it a no brainer and you can toss it in to the front seat.
              As for the price that was a non issue for me because of the transport issue.

Now would I do it again? Yes reasons above. Is there somethig else out there, for a shop machine? Yes and no, Portability as stated above, No, shop machine yes, and if you want to look at the new cats meow I will give a hint, I am sorry to say it is not Blue.

Comment

if you want to look at the new cats meow I will give a hint, I am sorry to say it is not Blue.

Let that cat out of the bag!!!!

Comment

thanks

I want to thank everyone who gave imput on the small mig. I ended up getting a hh140. I tried the flux core wire first because that was what it was set up for, It worked great. Then I switched to solid .024 wire lots of splatter and noise; because some dummy forgot to change the polarity,after that was changed that little machine welds like a dream. I tried it on materials from 20g to about 1/8 inch almost no splatter. The machine is very user friendly. I was using hb28 with c25. The only problem was that the one corner got smashed in shipping; but dave at hobart took care of that. I am really happy with the machine and look forward to using it in the future. One question to anyone else who owns a hh140 ;I noticed that the drive motor seems to whine pretty loud when running is this normal ? I forgot to ask Dave about that. Thanks Chub

Comment

Originally posted by chub380 View Post
                    I want to thank everyone who gave imput on the small mig. I ended up getting a hh140. I tried the flux core wire first because that was what it was set up for, It worked great. Then I switched to solid .024 wire lots of splatter and noise; because some dummy forgot to change the polarity,after that was changed that little machine welds like a dream. I tried it on materials from 20g to about 1/8 inch almost no splatter. The machine is very user friendly. I was using hb28 with c25. The only problem was that the one corner got smashed in shipping; but dave at hobart took care of that. I am really happy with the machine and look forward to using it in the future. One question to anyone else who owns a hh140 ;I noticed that the drive motor seems to whine pretty loud when running is this normal ? I forgot to ask Dave about that. Thanks Chub
                    Some whine is normal for that machine as I recall, make sure you don't have the pressure roller too tight, about 2.5 or 3 should be enough. Nice machine, I am sure you will really be happy with it.
                    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Originally posted by chub380 View Post
                      I noticed that the drive motor seems to whine pretty loud when running is this normal ? I forgot to ask Dave about that. Thanks Chub
                      I have noticed it on mine as well.....more so with the 1 and 2lb rolls of wire.....with a 10lb it will still wine every now and again.......I have run about 10lb's of wire (from 0.030 solid and flux core and 0.035 flux core)and she is still like new.....I don't think it will be an issue. Mine does seem to not have any issues with different manufactures wire......had one roll at the end give me some issues (Washington alloy).I think the little HH140 will do good for you....yes it's not a passport ,but you have money left over for other "big boy toys".
                      Mike
                      George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
                      Fear is temporary, regret is forever
                      HH210 with SG

Comment

passport

before you buy I have heard recently that on the smaller machines when you have to change the defusser you have to change the whole gun assembly I know that sounds crazy with the experienced people on here but it's one thing you should check out before you buy a passport.The defusser problem stops at the miller 210 I think

Comment

you might want to look into that your self.
                          thanks for the help
                          ......or..........
                          hope i helped
                          sigpic
                          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                          JAMES

Comment

if you are getting it just for the church job alown the passports a lot of $$ for the once in a wile thing. the HH140 would do just fine for that at a much lower price. i have the MM135 and its a great lil welder that would do the job quite well alos but is a few more $$ you may not be willing to justify spending.
                            the M-10 torch is compleatly servisable the defusser is changeable i have an extra one in my consumables box as i had to replace it once due to cross threading it once. i was reusing an old tip and did not take the time to clean it properly befor reinstalling it. i have not made that mistake again but have a spare should i get in a hurry and do some thing stupid again. not shore about the H-10 gun but i'll see if i can find it in my parts book tomarow if no one else can say for shore about it.
                            if you have a lot of use for a small portable MIG then i would say by all means get the passport. its gotten some realy great reviews on many of the welding forem boards not just this one. it seems to be a realy nice welding and verry portable lil MIG. and even though its mostly plastic miller seems to have chosen the right plastic as i have not herd of any one breaking a case. if you have the work to justify it the passport is a great choice. i have seen a few post where its put in some good long hard weeks of regular steady work as a replacement for a MM210.
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                            JAMES

Comment

Passport

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                              you might want to look into that your self.

Hey fun4now I already did Praxairs tecks told me this decause I was going to buy one for a buddy of mine now having said this You bet ya I am still going to check this out for my self on the weekend I'm very skeptical because like you I dont beleave it.

Comment

Working...
                              X