In need of a pump ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of a pump ?

Do they sell some type of pump to hook up to drain water out of an area ? Not looking to spend a lot. I know what a sub pump is but those are under ground.

sump pumps and trash pumps are probably two of the more common, easy to use (self priming) and affordable types out there
    hre

Comment

tigman47,

There are several types of sump pumps that will get the job done. Some are as you stated for underground use, then there are others that you can place in areas like basement floors that will pump water from a flat surface, or they can be recessed into the floor and pump when the water reaches a certain level. These pumps can range in price from fairly inexpensive to hundreds of dollars, it just depends on what your needs are. If you just need something for a small type of job, they make a cheap pump that attaches to your hand drill that then attaches to a garden hose. This type of pump I used once to empty a washing machine that stopped when it was full of water. It took a few minutes, but did the job. I bought a new sump pump for our basement because the float on the old one fell apart and it would not stop running. This pump cost something like $65.00 at Farm and Fleet. I still need to install the new one, but I have been putting it off because no matter how prepared I seem to get for doing any kind of pipe/plumbing work, I still end up making 3 or 4 trips to the hardware store before the cobbled mess is completed. For now I just make sure I plug the old pump in for a few minutes each week to eliminate any build up. Good luck, I am sure someone who knows a lot more about pumps and such things will get you pointed in the right direction. If I may ask, what is the intended use of the pump, and where would it be placed?

Pat.

Comment

Your local ace should have some of the little Giant pumps. I bought one to remove the water from the crawlspace under the house after the hot water pipe broke and flodded it. My pump is about the size of a coffe can. All you do is set it on some flat in the bottom of the water (not on dirt as it will suck mud and plug the pump.) connect a garden hose to the discharge on the top uf the pump and plug it in. I think mine is about 60GPH but it may be more. Seems I paid around $40 for it.
        Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
        Millermatic Challenger 172
        VictorO/A
        Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
        Esab PCM-875
        Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

Well, I only need it on heavy rain storms, because my garage floods.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1479

Would something like that work ? Also how do the hoses usually connect and where do I find those at as well ?

Comment

Originally posted by tigman47 View Post
            Well, I only need it on heavy rain storms, because my garage floods.

Would something like that work ? Also how do the hoses usually connect and where do I find those at as well ?
            you know, just take a trip down to your local hardware store, they should be able to set you up with everything you need to know.
            hre

Comment

Try walfart

I have been using $10 buildge pumps from Walfart for years to pump out all kinds of water incluiding my boat. 12 volt dc and an old garden hose (3/4 in).

Frank
              XMT300( yes it still works),Hobart Heafty CC/CV, MM175, Airco HF box, Profax spool gun, Bobcat 225, Victor and Smith torches. Reserrected MM130 and Thunderbolt (Katrina flood throwaways) ,

Comment

Originally posted by NES frank View Post
                I have been using $10 buildge pumps from Walfart for years to pump out all kinds of water incluiding my boat. 12 volt dc and an old garden hose (3/4 in).

Frank
                Thats excatly what i was going to suggest

Comment

Trip to Farm and Barn

Pat
                  Buy a new pump and get it running before the water starts rising. A new pump has all the stuff new so there is no garbage giving you problems. So put your coat on and have fun.
                  Think Alot
                  Learn Alot
                  Read Alot
                  And Then Do It Again & Again

Comment

I went to walmart, they no longer sell pumps. My question is what kind of hoses attach to these ?

Comment

pump

Rent one!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NES frank View Post

Frank
                        http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=19733368901
                        Is that it ?

Don't want to rent one, every time is rains I would have to go out and rent one which I don't want to do. The Harbor freight needs to be hardwired, don't want to do that.

Comment

The HF unit is not good for this, you want a simple sump pump, let us look for a link.

Comment

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...pump&Submit=Go
                            http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...t_6970_792_792 The second one is what I would be looking at, they make a off/on float kit too and there are better ones with a bit more power than this one for a few more $, all the box stores should have them.

Comment

I'll go to a few stores, hopefully I can pick one up asap. All the snow is going to melt and flood everything

Comment

Working...
                              X