pipeline spinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by calweld View Post

UH OH . . . maybe I made a mistake inviting you by next week . . .
    Hey, I’m from the East bay, not the West bay

Comment

Pipeliners don't carry a roll out because they don't weld 2" pipe, and they rarely weld anything that will fit in a roll out on the back of a truck.
      Pipeline welders weld , you guessed it, pipelines. Happily trucking across the countryside. Pipelines are welded on skids, and the fabrication involved in pipelines is also welded in skids the overwhealming majority of the time as it is too big, too heavy and too awkward to set in jacks or on a wheel.

Oil field welders weld tons of little pipe and most if not all of them carry a roll out. Hands working on chilled water systems do too, chemical plants and plastic plants and tomatoe processing plants and dog food plants (ect, ect, ect) station hands as well but that's not pipelining, that's welding pipe in the oilfield or on a chiller or in a station or ect, ect, ect. It's a simple matter of terminology properly used, the work these Canadian guys are are discussing is not properly termed "pipelining" in the U.S. Good and honest work of course but not building pipelines.

Goof on me all you want Coalsmoke but one thing is certain, I know and understand the terminology used in my workplace and I'm pretty sure you don't.

Call yourself what you want, but hooking up a well is not pipelining. Forgive my effort to apply the terminology correctly.

JTMcC.
      Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Am I correct???? Just trying to clarify this thing

No, you're not even close. And to top it off you have imparted several motives to me that aren't there. Read into it what you want.

JTMcC.
        Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

I guess the welders are a lot more universal here than down in the states JT. Pipelines do happen to go from the wells here. Not sure how it happens there. And there are numerous welders here who do both plant and pipeline work. I am sorry that terminology is so upsetting to you.

Byron

Comment

Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
            No, you're not even close. And to top it off you have imparted several motives to me that aren't there. Read into it what you want.

JTMcC.
            No, I implied no motives. I admit, part of it was my "juvenile" nature, I was poking fun at the way the thread was going. Seriously, answer the question, everything I've read previously, you've done plant shutdowns, structural, etc., why wouldn't you have something like this if it would speed up the job????

Comment

pipeliners in canada have their welders and spools on skids that are capable of being taken off the truck and used as a skid but we multi task up here theres not just one type of welder. if you only do one thing you only get good at one thing if you are un able to be versitil you usless
              your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"
              2006 DODGE Dualy Quad Cab
              PIPELINE IS THICKER THAN BLOOD!!!
              here is all the pictures of my rig www.cardomain.com/ride/2520047/1

Comment

Pipeliners don't carry a roll out because they don't weld 2" pipe, and they rarely weld anything that will fit in a roll out on the back of a truck.
                Pipeline welders weld , you guessed it, pipelines. Happily trucking across the countryside. Pipelines are welded on skids, and the fabrication involved in pipelines is also welded in skids the overwhealming majority of the time as it is too big, too heavy and too awkward to set in jacks or on a wheel.

Oil field welders weld tons of little pipe and most if not all of them carry a roll out. Hands working on chilled water systems do too, chemical plants and plastic plants and tomatoe processing plants and dog food plants (ect, ect, ect) station hands as well but that's not pipelining, that's welding pipe in the oilfield or on a chiller or in a station or ect, ect, ect. It's a simple matter of terminology properly used, the work these Canadian guys are are discussing is not properly termed "pipelining" in the U.S. Good and honest work of course but not building pipelines.

Goof on me all you want Coalsmoke but one thing is certain, I know and understand the terminology used in my workplace and I'm pretty sure you don't.

Call yourself what you want, but hooking up a well is not pipelining. Forgive my effort to apply the terminology correctly.

JTMcC.
                How do you connect the well to the pipeline then? we drill a well in the middle of nowhere then we run a pipeline from that well to a compressor station fromthere it goes to another pipeline and into a plant to be refined. It sounds to me like you only do big inch lines 30" and up. In alberta the unions do that stuff with automatics. everthing else is done by hand smaller than 30". We do all of the welding from mainlining to fab for the stations. Oh yeah last time I checked dog food and tomato processing plants don't have s-hit to do with the oil field!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post
                  Hey, I’m from the East bay, not the West bay
                  For us "hicks" in the valley it's all the same once you get west of Rio Vista . . .

Comment

For us "hicks" in the valley it's all the same once you get west of Rio Vista . . .
                    Rio Vista

You ever been to that restaurant, can’t remember the name, but they have a bazillion stuffed animals in it. I remember going there once, and being seated under a water buffalo . I made it out a live, but I was sure wondering how it was mounted to the wall. Hopefully to a stud or two

Comment

Oh yeah, I like to shock some of my more "liberal" "friends" on occasion . . They "feel" the spirits That's Fosters' Bighorn Bar you're thinking of, probably the largest private collection of animal trophies in the world . . . Took my wife there once when we were still going out, she didn't feel any spirits, sat right under the elephant tusks

Good drinks too

Comment

That's Fosters' Bighorn Bar you're thinking of, probably the largest private collection of animal trophies in the world .
                        I would have never put a name to that in a lifetime.

But lookie here!

http://www.fostersbighorn.com/

Comment

Well, the internet site is nice, but the experience is much better in person, especially if you hit the place at a slow time . . . after lunch, before "happy hour", it's almost surreal,,, all those animals looking down at you . . . unlike you, nobody's mistaken me for the "fuzzy sensitive" type , even I feel it

Comment

Originally posted by lynx_welding View Post
                            I't retarted how people instantly wanna shut down the young guy and pile isn't the first one to do it. even guys older than me have it happen i'm just saying don't underestimate the younger guys coming up in the world
                            Oh it definitely happens a lot, something I have grown used to. I can separate real quick the guys I want to be around and learn something from from those that I don't, usually it has to do with how respect is or is not applied.

Oh that’s just a small price you pay, when the bad guys invade you, we won’t turn the other way!
                            Oh PB, now you went and got it started Bad guys? We tend not to make ourselves too large a target and when things do get bumpy, we are precise and finite in action. Lately it seems that the american politicians seem to have this habit of striking back, and then throwing in a few more rounds just for kicks. Besides, let's not kid anyone that Bush's primary interests are not necessarily humanitarian based Heck, we even have calendars in our books sotres up here called The Bush Countdown Do you guys have those down there too? They're almost as common as McDonalds up here

JTMcC.
                            Originally posted by bjfab View Post
                            I guess the welders are a lot more universal here than down in the states JT. Pipelines do happen to go from the wells here. Not sure how it happens there. And there are numerous welders here who do both plant and pipeline work. I am sorry that terminology is so upsetting to you.

Byron
                            OK, that illustrates my point well, do the two never intermingle? I also remember JT talking about doing other forms of work, but maybe that was before pipelining? Guys like http://www.perform53.com/ seem to carry a well-rounded array of pipeline related work, but because they don't pipeline 100% of the time does that not make them a pipeliner

Originally posted by lynx_welding View Post
                            pipeliners in canada have their welders and spools on skids that are capable of being taken off the truck and used as a skid but we multi task up here theres not just one type of welder. if you only do one thing you only get good at one thing if you are un able to be versitil you usless
                            Lynx, I believe he was referring to the skids (aka blocks) that the pipeline sits on.
                            hre

Comment

Hey diarrhea mouth

[QUOTE=JTMcC;79391No self respecting Pipeline rig would be seen with such a device.So you may call it a "pipeline spinner" in Canada, but don't try that in America..[/QUOTE]

Well you sure have a big mouth my friend. I have a wheel on my truck and I pipeline ohh say about 85% of the time the other 15% I weld facility, thats
                              where the pipeline goes too, I'd would imagine you already knew that cause
                              your a big "Pipeliner welder" Here In Canada when you pipeline you weld
                              all the pressure welds whether you weld on the line, tie ins or risers. Thats the the way they work here. Man if we just welded on the line all the time
                              and no one wanted to weld out the other stuff then we'd just have pipelines
                              everywhere but they wouldn't have anything going threw them cause there's
                              was no one to tie in or build sleepers or make risers etc etc. I am lead to believe that ether your a lazy fat a*s, or you give alot of reach arounds
                              so you can sit and mainline all the time you may call that
                              "pipelining in America but dont try that in Alberta"

I realize with all that pipelining your doing has left you little time for yourself
                              but I'd go to the doctor cause it seems like you have a bad condition.
                              You show symptons of "Diarrhea mouth", it seems like whenever you open
                              your mouth sh*t comes out.
                              DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                              PIPEPRO 304
                              TO MANY TOOLS
                              JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                              rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
                              and easily upset
                              go flames go

Comment

Pipeline vs Pipe:

A line connecting an oil or gas well to a tank setting or collection system is called a flow line. All the interconnecting lines in an oil & gas plant, refinery or chemical plant is called process piping. The lines are all considered proprietary and the content, quality or type of product is generally not specified or regulated. It is all pipe, but it is not "pipeline."

Pipeline is a transportation system regulated by the USDOT. Just like interstate hiways and the air and waterways. It crosses intersate and national boundries and is subject to tarrif. Piplines commonly use a LACT unit (Lease Automatic Custody Transfer) to document operations. A LACT unit documents the flow in BBL and corrects the gravity to standard temperature. The LACT unit continuosly samples the product for BS&W (Bottom Sediment and Water) and can trip off and shutdown the pipeline if a BS&W of 3.0% is exceded.

A pipeline has to be pigged and inspected on a regular basis and all data must be well documented. Flow lines and process piping generally doesn't get fussed over much until it requires attention.

I have operated all of the above over the last thirty years and that is the termonology that Operations Departments use.
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X