advice sought on replacement TIG Torch brand choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice sought on replacement TIG Torch brand choice

This forum is very enlightening and I appreciate all the on-line Q&A.

Here's my situation:

I want to TIG weld aluminum 1/6" to 1/8" sheet and sometimes 3/8" bar stock.
    I also want to weld light gage 4130 material.

I also have a LINCOLN PowerMIG 255 with a Spoolgun.

I have an aged but servicable HF-250 Heliarc powersource with a MILLER Coolmate and Weldcraft W-20-25 watercooled torch. The torch hoses have become stiff from age and interfere with easy control of the torch.

Here's my question: What would you choose?

I am looking for a new torch set-up and am considering another WELDCRAFT product or a SPEEDWAY torch with zippered soft leather cable cover.

I'm also wondering whether a flexible torch might be the way to.

Eventually I will probably replace the HF-250 with a DYNASTY 200DX and move my new torch and my Coolmate over to the new power source.

thanks for your help
    keegan

Originally posted by Keegan View Post
    This forum is very enlightening and I appreciate all the on-line Q&A.

Here's my situation:

I want to TIG weld aluminum 1/6" to 1/8" sheet and sometimes 3/8" bar stock.
    I also want to weld light gage 4130 material.

I also have a LINCOLN PowerMIG 255 with a Spoolgun.

I have an aged but servicable HF-250 Heliarc powersource with a MILLER Coolmate and Weldcraft W-20-25 watercooled torch. The torch hoses have become stiff from age and interfere with easy control of the torch.

Here's my question: What would you choose?

I am looking for a new torch set-up and am considering another WELDCRAFT product or a SPEEDWAY torch with zippered soft leather cable cover.

I'm also wondering whether a flexible torch might be the way to.

Eventually I will probably replace the HF-250 with a DYNASTY 200DX and move my new torch and my Coolmate over to the new power source.

thanks for your help
    keegan
    I am using CK for my Dynasty 200DX, for water cooled I recommend the CK20F-25, superflex hose, fused safeloc dinse connector, and they have two types of covers to chose from. Check here for prices www.tigstore.com, I have purchased 4 torchs from these guys and there service is very good. Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

The WP 20 is a good torch... you may also consider replacing your stiff hoses with the Hi Flex rubber ones from Weldcraft, MUCH easier to handle:

25' Power: 45V04R
      25' Gas: 45V10R
      25' Water: 45V08R
      Carmen Electrode (Arc-Zone.com)
      CarmenElectrode.com

powered by... Arc-Zone.com (R) Inc.

Comment

I would just replace the hoses and get back to welding. Sounds like you have a good setup that if it works well, might as well stick with it.

Tobin
        MM251
        Miller Dialarc HF-P 310 Amp Tig
        Victor O/A Setup
        Lincolin 225Amp Buzzbox
        Cummins Freak

Comment

Originally posted by CarmenElectrode View Post
          The WP 20 is a good torch... you may also consider replacing your stiff hoses with the Hi Flex rubber ones from Weldcraft, MUCH easier to handle:

25' Power: 45V04R
          25' Gas: 45V10R
          25' Water: 45V08R
          I'm getting the sense that just replacing hoses is the way to go. Being served up with the correct part numbers is a nice and helpful touch - thanks.

regards
          Keegan

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown View Post
            I am using CK for my Dynasty 200DX, for water cooled I recommend the CK20F-25, superflex hose, fused safeloc dinse connector, and they have two types of covers to chose from. Check here for prices www.tigstore.com, I have purchased 4 torchs from these guys and there service is very good. Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.
            thanks for bringing up CK - I had no exposure to that brand before and looked it up on the link you provided.

How does CK distinguish themselves from other brands?

What is and what is the benefit of a "fused safeloc dinse connector" ?

One other thing I'm not sure about is the type of hose connection each brand uses at the torch and what the practical difference is.

Another question: do gas lenses require different collets or are collets of the same diameter interchangeable whether you use a gas lense or not?

regards from Keegan

Comment

Weldcraft, WP20 would be my choice. Not flexible but the head rotates and it is small and easy to handle.

Comment

Originally posted by Keegan View Post
                thanks for bringing up CK - I had no exposure to that brand before and looked it up on the link you provided.

How does CK distinguish themselves from other brands?

What is and what is the benefit of a "fused safeloc dinse connector" ?

One other thing I'm not sure about is the type of hose connection each brand uses at the torch and what the practical difference is.

Another question: do gas lenses require different collets or are collets of the same diameter interchangeable whether you use a gas lense or not?

regards from Keegan
                I am not by any means an expert on this stuff but I can tell you what I do know. Ck sells very high quality torchs and acc. as do Welcraft and probably a few other brands I don't know about.

A safeloc dinse connector is a high quality, molded plastic connector that comes apart and holds the connections safe, it can be had with a fuse so that if you use a water cooled torch and forget to turn the water on (or the flow is reduced for some reason), the fuse will burn thru and protect the torch from getting fried.

I have seen two types of connections at the torch end, on one type you slip the hose over the copper end and secure it with a wrap of thin wire. The second one I know about uses a threaded sleeve that is turned to go over the connection and lock it in, CK uses this type.

A 20 series torch uses series 3 consumables, you can use the same standard split collet with either the standard cup or the gas lense. CK also makes a wedge type collett, with the split collett you can tighten it too hard and distort the split part of the collett and that can cause problems holding the tungsten. The wedge type has no split and is solid throughout its length with a slash cut at the tip, when pressure is applied to the other end it pushs aginst the wedge and locks the tungsten in place. The outside diameter is the same, only the inside diameter is varied to the size of the tungsten it needs to hold.
                Regards, George

Comment

The CK torches also have the largest volume of coolant through the head of the torch. (They have cutaway pictures on their site somewhere) I'm sure that this ends up giving you better life of the torch, but the great thing is how cool the torch stays in use!!!
                  Bob Sigmon
                  A/O Setup with Meco Midget
                  Miller Big Window Elite
                  Quincy QT-5HD

Comment

OK, I'm coming up on the learning curve regarding torches. I gather that WELDCRAFT connects the hoses with a thin wire crimp.

I'm going to get a new set of flexible hoses and stay with my existing torch head.

And now - back to practicing...

thanks to all
                    Keegan

Comment

CK advantage

Originally posted by Bob Sigmon View Post
                      The CK torches also have the largest volume of coolant through the head of the torch. (They have cutaway pictures on their site somewhere) I'm sure that this ends up giving you better life of the torch, but the great thing is how cool the torch stays in use!!!
                      Yes, thanks for pointing out CK's cooing capacity> I did see that cut away but wasn't so sure about the validity of all these claims. I'll keep an eye on my torch temperature experience going forward.

Interesting how much of this practical and essential information is NOT found in books. Ron Covell's TIG Basics DVD is a great help. I saw similar comments in another thread.

off to the shop I go . . .
                      Keegan

Comment

Just to clairfy, I believe that weldcraft uses the same type line connecter that CK uses, it's the clones that use the wire wrap to secure the hoses.
                        Regards, George

Comment

tig torches

if your looking for a new torch, Id recommend a CKWORLDWIDE torch
                          however miller makes the diamondback
                          trailblazer 280 nt with 3000 hrs and running strong
                          today I bought a new trailblazer 302
                          and a new s-32p

dynasty 200 dx
                          maxstar 140
                          passport
                          XR pushpull
                          spectum 500
                          cutmaster 50

Comment

I don't think Miller is making the Diamondback anymore...
                            Carmen Electrode (Arc-Zone.com)
                            CarmenElectrode.com