Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setup Welding Rig?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    welding rig

    Originally posted by Wicked one
    Dan , I know this is off topic but do you have any pics how your reels are mounted that you can post? and how you have your skid layed out ? Thanks Jef
    yes sir I can do that, I always look at other trucks to get ideas. My truck
    is about 10 truck ideas into one truck. Here are some for a start, I'll take some more and post them so you can see cause there's some things not in these pics that I added after these pics where taken.
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

    Comment


    • #17
      Well don't be afraid to look at my junk i build it in a week and i'll be posting more in the next couple of weeks cuz i'm adding my fab table where you might ask you'll see any questions i can answer for ya asap
      your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"
      2006 DODGE Dualy Quad Cab
      PIPELINE IS THICKER THAN BLOOD!!!
      here is all the pictures of my rig www.cardomain.com/ride/2520047/1

      Comment


      • #18
        welding rig

        Originally posted by lynx_welding View Post
        Well don't be afraid to look at my junk i build it in a week and i'll be posting more in the next couple of weeks cuz i'm adding my fab table where you might ask you'll see any questions i can answer for ya asap
        I noticed you have mainstream cable reels ,do you have any problems with them in the cold? If Ican figure out how to post pics I'll take some of my rig. Ihave shell ryns and have had a lot of problems with them in the cold(plates icing up and not working) Lynx's do you mostly pipeline or what? Thanks Jef

        Comment


        • #19
          Thanks for the pics!!!

          Originally posted by pipeline Dan View Post
          yes sir I can do that, I always look at other trucks to get ideas. My truck
          is about 10 truck ideas into one truck. Here are some for a start, I'll take some more and post them so you can see cause there's some things not in these pics that I added after these pics where taken.
          What setting's do you run on 125 wall 3 and 4 inch (arc force amperage ect.) I've never mainlined but always seem to get sucked into doing tie-in's and fabbing. Have you had any problems with your pipe pro?Mine's a 2005 and I've had to replace an armature and everything ahead of the motor(except the board) 7000 bucks on warranty! Now it runs better than it did when it was new. The only thing I don't like is it's a tad loud. Sorry about my rambling Thanks Jef

          Comment


          • #20
            If your a welder why would'nt you build your own custom rig verses hoping a shop does everything right.
            There are so many things to consider that I always draw my bed out to scale and place everything, welder, tanks, compressor, crane, and tool boxes.

            I dont understand the big hype for reels. ( must be a pipe welder thing )
            However my leads are 175' long on each side and my mig lead is 125'.
            My torch hose is 200' long.
            I'm thinking most pipe guys dont usually need that much lead.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
              If your a welder why would'nt you build your own custom rig verses hoping a shop does everything right.
              There are so many things to consider that I always draw my bed out to scale and place everything, welder, tanks, compressor, crane, and tool boxes.

              I dont understand the big hype for reels. ( must be a pipe welder thing )
              However my leads are 175' long on each side and my mig lead is 125'.
              My torch hose is 200' long.
              I'm thinking most pipe guys dont usually need that much lead.
              How's it going portable. In answer to your question about reels When it's 40 below speed is important. pipeline is all about speed. lots of guys use cable wraps (because it's cheaper) In answer to your question about building your own rig somtimes it's faster to have other's build certain components of your rig(like cabinets, cable reels ect.) But other than boxes and reels I've built everything myself. I only carry 100ft of whip and 100ft of ground and 2 20 foot lengths of cable incase I have to pull my machine off and put it on a sloop or nodwell. In addition to that I have 100ft of oxy/acet and 100ft of remote and if I need to be further than that from my truck the oil company can rent it . Hope that answer's your questions Jef

              Comment


              • #22
                up 5..... down 5

                Originally posted by Wicked one View Post
                What setting's do you run on 125 wall 3 and 4 inch (arc force amperage ect.) I've never mainlined but always seem to get sucked into doing tie-in's and fabbing. Have you had any problems with your pipe pro?Mine's a 2005 and I've had to replace an armature and everything ahead of the motor(except the board) 7000 bucks on warranty! Now it runs better than it did when it was new. The only thing I don't like is it's a tad loud. Sorry about my rambling Thanks Jef
                on .125 I run my bead at about 24, hot pass I'll be about 35-37 and on my
                cap(weld test) I'll run it about 27 I have my dig on the 75-100%. The only problem I've had was at the start, my computer was jiggled loose, It would start but it wouldn't weld so I then took thick rubber from an old trencher
                and put it under it, has run fine since Mine is a little load as well, I could run some kind of sound proof stuff in my box so It doesn't bounce noise
                around. When I bought my 304 (2002)it was one of the better welders for
                noise but times change and so it is a little bit loader then I'd like I do like it
                alot and it will be my welder most likely until I die. Dont worry about the rambling, if you dont know then ask, what goes around comes around
                Plus its free
                DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                PIPEPRO 304
                TO MANY TOOLS
                JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
                and easily upset
                go flames go

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by pipeline Dan View Post
                  on .125 I run my bead at about 24, hot pass I'll be about 35-37 and on my
                  cap(weld test) I'll run it about 27 I have my dig on the 75-100%. The only problem I've had was at the start, my computer was jiggled loose, It would start but it wouldn't weld so I then took thick rubber from an old trencher
                  and put it under it, has run fine since Mine is a little load as well, I could run some kind of sound proof stuff in my box so It doesn't bounce noise
                  around. When I bought my 304 (2002)it was one of the better welders for
                  noise but times change and so it is a little bit loader then I'd like I do like it
                  alot and it will be my welder most likely until I die. Dont worry about the rambling, if you dont know then ask, what goes around comes around
                  Plus its free
                  what amperage do you set your welder at Iusually set mine at 280 so Ican burn 3/16 for fabbin. Just curious as to what other;s are running. Also what kind of remote are you running? Thanks Jef

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    speedy pipeliners.

                    Originally posted by Wicked one View Post
                    . pipeline is all about speed. lots of guys use cable wraps (because it's cheaper) In answer to your question about building your own rig somtimes it's faster to have other's build certain components of your rig(like cabinets, cable reels ect.) I only carry 100ft of whip and 100ft of ground and 2 20 foot lengths of cable incase I have to pull my machine off and put it on a sloop or nodwell. In addition to that I have 100ft of oxy/acet and 100ft of remote and if I need to be further than that from my truck the oil company can rent it . Hope that answer's your questions Jef
                    very well put Wicked. I'am in the same boat as you, I got my boxes built,
                    my spools built, other then that everything else was pieces of scrap I had kicking around. Who said down hand 18 rod wasn't strong enough? I also do 100' each side and 100' remote. I have never done any work where my welder
                    had to be put on a nodwell, I've been up in 2 lakes and places like that but never have had to do it yet(thank the welding gods for that). I'll put it this way, if you go 26 days head down a*s up the last thing you want to do when you get home is weld 10-14 gage steel together. Wicked we have got to see some pics of your rig, When I first got on here they rode me like a donkey until I posted so get your camera out
                    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                    PIPEPRO 304
                    TO MANY TOOLS
                    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
                    and easily upset
                    go flames go

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      rig pics

                      Originally posted by pipeline Dan View Post
                      very well put Wicked. I'am in the same boat as you, I got my boxes built,
                      my spools built, other then that everything else was pieces of scrap I had kicking around. Who said down hand 18 rod wasn't strong enough? I also do 100' each side and 100' remote. I have never done any work where my welder
                      had to be put on a nodwell, I've been up in 2 lakes and places like that but never have had to do it yet(thank the welding gods for that). I'll put it this way, if you go 26 days head down a*s up the last thing you want to do when you get home is weld 10-14 gage steel together. Wicked we have got to see some pics of your rig, When I first got on here they rode me like a donkey until I posted so get your camera out
                      I'm trying to figure out how to post the **** things I'm sure I'll figure it out soon. See ya in the patch Jef

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        lets weld

                        Originally posted by Wicked one View Post
                        what amperage do you set your welder at Iusually set mine at 280 so Ican burn 3/16 for fabbin. Just curious as to what other;s are running. Also what kind of remote are you running? Thanks Jef
                        I run mine at 305 and never fiddle with it, I just pull a long arc/ short arc if needed. I have a Kristen Electric (spelling?) one. They are real touchy, If I get a helper that has used a lincoln one they always turn it up 10 you cant do that with mine, its up 5 down 5 alot of time I just get them to turn it up in 2s or 2.5s. I blew x-ray cause I had a green helper and he turned it up 10 which blows a hole about the size of a 25 cent piece in the pipe. Real hard to get on steady if you know what I mean
                        DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                        PIPEPRO 304
                        TO MANY TOOLS
                        JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                        rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
                        and easily upset
                        go flames go

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          to the wicked one,

                          No problems with my reels when it was -40 here in december they worked fine i pipeline a bit but have mainly done plant turn arounds i have done the balzac (nexen) out side of calgary Crossfield(PrimeWest) Edson (Tailismen) and many other little sites in fox creek to dawson creek do doing rig ****e in fort mac at the fire bag project who have you worked with. my dad was just up there building rigs for terracore

                          Shane
                          your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"
                          2006 DODGE Dualy Quad Cab
                          PIPELINE IS THICKER THAN BLOOD!!!
                          here is all the pictures of my rig www.cardomain.com/ride/2520047/1

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            reels

                            Originally posted by lynx_welding View Post
                            to the wicked one,

                            No problems with my reels when it was -40 here in december they worked fine i pipeline a bit but have mainly done plant turn arounds i have done the balzac (nexen) out side of calgary Crossfield(PrimeWest) Edson (Tailismen) and many other little sites in fox creek to dawson creek do doing rig ****e in fort mac at the fire bag project who have you worked with. my dad was just up there building rigs for terracore

                            Shane
                            Thanks for replying Shane, I've got Shell Ryn's and and they don't work so good when it's cold(the plates ice up and you either can't get them undone or they won't ground) As for work I've alot in fox creek (kaybob) Valleyview snipe lake for Apache .I did the fort mcmurray thing a couple of years ago at Albian ,Syncrude and CNRL when it was just bush. Ialso pipeline in the begining of the year (mostly tie ins and fab) I've worked alot of union jobs which don't pay as well as non-union jobs. Your rig looks good what kind of jake do you have.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              the jake is a cummings part right from factory i love it it works well
                              your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"
                              2006 DODGE Dualy Quad Cab
                              PIPELINE IS THICKER THAN BLOOD!!!
                              here is all the pictures of my rig www.cardomain.com/ride/2520047/1

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Jake

                                Originally posted by lynx_welding View Post
                                the jake is a cummings part right from factory i love it it works well
                                Did you order it on your truck or did you buy it and put it on yourself? Does it sound cool? If you ordered it do you happen to have the part number? Thanks Jef

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X