Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fun4now
    replied
    now thouse are nice, with a ring for welding and every thing. now thats werth paying a few extra $'s for, should make welding them on a sinch.
    thanks for the link.

Leave a comment:

• Pile Buck
    replied
    Hey thanks Sbi1! That’s a great site, just what I was looking for. Almost got me to thinking about cutting the pipe nipples back out, and ordering these tank flanges!

Na, I’m to lazy for that , but next time for sure. Or maybe I’ll give this tank to my buddy Jack, and built me a better one!

Leave a comment:

• Sbi1
    replied
    Hey Carl-a little late, but here is an online suppier that lists aluminum tank flangeshttp://store.wagaero.com/index.php?cPath=601_150
    Looks like they have 1/8" to 2", $10-12 each, might help the next person building an AL tank.

Leave a comment:

• Pile Buck
    replied
    Originally posted by fun4now View Post
    just thinking its high for 2"'s of threaded pipe
    Well yeah, isn’t everything over priced? Well except your wages!

Actually that was the price for a 1 1/2-inch pipe “cap”

The price for a 2-inch x 4-inch sch 40 pipe nipple was $8.54
    And for 1 1/2-inch x 3-inch sch 40 pipe nipple was $4.17

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    i'm not saying there is a beter price out there just thinking its high for 2"'s of threaded pipe i know aluminum prices are high but realy, thats just wrong to charge so much for so little. maybee i'll just move around the ones that are on the tank now and see if i can work some thing out with whats there.
    i guess i better be carfull not to screw them up in the process.

Leave a comment:

• Pile Buck
    replied
    Pile Buck
    holly cow man,$7.85 for one little fitting. thats nuts, talk about robbing you blind.
    Welp, if you find a better online place, please let me know! I probably could have called the bigger steel suppliers in Seattle for 2-inch and 1 1/2-inch pipe, but I only have dies up to 1-inch , have you seen the price for 1 1/2 and 2-inch dies?

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    harcosparky
    i think the biggest problem would be in the mounting of the bits. regearing it should not be too big of a deal but the cutting tips are night and day different, with steel they have to be mounted on a moveable base that can be ajusted by tinny amounts at a time and it has to be 100% securly mounted. if its not and itbends a little it will bind and then all **** will break loose, parts and pices flying every where. probly best to just save up for a little one and find a way to make some $$ with it to get a bigger one if needed.
    Pile Buck
    holly cow man,$7.85 for one little fitting. thats nuts, talk about robbing you blind.

Leave a comment:

• Pile Buck
    replied
    Thanks for the kind words Barry & Craig

James I had the same situation here. Who would have thunk, a city the size of Seattle and you can’t get aluminum pipe fittings ! Something wrong here, I got to do some more checking. Alaskan Copper quoted me $12.?? For a 1 1/2-inch aluminum pipe cap. I got mine from McMaster-Carr for $7.85 But Alaskan Copper doesn't carry any pipe nipples, WTF!

Here is the link to McMaster-Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Leave a comment:

• harcosparky
    replied
    i keep thinking of getting a wood lath and regearing it and adding the nesisary atachments to go steel or aluminum but its probly more truble than its werth, liable to just end up getting hurt

I keep looking at an old lathe we have here and thinking the same thing. Been thinking about it for 5 years. You're most likely right in it not being worth the trouble, though I have been real tempted to hang a hunk of aluminum up on it and seeing what happens!

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    where do you get the lil niples and fitting's??
    i got an old aluminum propain tank i'm thinking of turning into my torch cooler tank but the fittings are all the wrong size.
    is there a place to get whatever size you want ? i checked the local hardware store but nothing in aluminum.
    and nope i got no taps and a lathe to make my own, well i got a small set of taps but not the best, they would be ok to clear a thread but thats about it.
    i keep thinking of getting a wood lath and regearing it and adding the nesisary atachments to go steel or aluminum but its probly more truble than its werth, liable to just end up getting hurt

Leave a comment:

• tigman250
    replied
    yep i agree Carl, you should be proud, nice looking welds!

Leave a comment:

• precisionworks
    replied
    Carl,

You made that look too easy Nice work.

Leave a comment:

• Pile Buck
    replied
    Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
    Nice work Carl!
    Thanks Kevin, that’s quite the complement coming from someone with your talent!

My first foreman told me this
    The difference between the great welder good welder and the bad welder is:

The bad welder screws up and everybody knows…
    The good welder screws up and only the foreman knows …
    The great welder screws up and nobody knows.
    In my old line of work when driving foundation piles no one could ever see our mistakes, we buried them!
    But in marine construction we would pray for only high tides. Harder to see our mistakes at high water, low tide pretty much showed every mistake.

The very last project I actually drove any production piles on, was the Bell Street Pier downtown Seattle. Just about the center of this picture right in front of that big building is a fish viewing area, so the public can stand around and look for fish I guess . The building and the support columns for the overhang of that building are all on 3-pile spray dolphins. So each pile is 120° from each other, on a 4/12 batter. The ones up under the dock / building are picture perfect . The ones out where everybody and their brother can see them looks like a 3rd grader drove them . I hit everything but the kitchen sink while driving them. I was amazed I didn’t break any of these concrete piles.
    So if you every make it down to Seattle cruise on by the Bell Street Pier, you can tell everybody, you know the clown who drove those ugly piles
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Fat-Fab.com
    replied
    Very nice job! and you got all worked up. We knew you could do it. And if went the other way you got all of us to tell you how to fix it.

My first foreman told me this
    The difference between the great welder good welder and the bad welder is:

The bad welder screws up and everybody knows…
    The good welder screws up and only the foreman knows …
    The great welder screws up and nobody knows .

Its just metal have fun.

TJ

Leave a comment:

• KB Fabrications
    replied
    Nice work Carl!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X