Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pile Buck
    replied
    Must have had my tongue on the correct side of my mouth this morning. Man did I ever luck out!

FusionKing, you’ll never know how close I came to going out to the shop, and building my own plug after reading your post! But I’m a very impatient person, most of the time I shoot my self in the foot being that way! But like I said I lucked out!

Talk about wing and prayer, shooting from the hip, or how ever you want to word it. But bottom line I don’t have a clue of what I’m doing.

All I can say is thank you to every one on this board for their patience and understanding in walking me through this learning curve of working with aluminum!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Pile Buck
    replied
    Originally posted by tigman250 View Post
    then we will see if the old dawg learnt a new trick
    Oh yeah put a little pressure on the ol dog why don’t cha!

Just don't try and thread anything on there until it cools
    Yeah I discovered that real quick when I tried to remove the steel coupling from the 2-inch nipple right after welding it. The thought crossed my mind where is that 48-inch pipe wrench . But that was just a PILE BUCK moment , then the fabricator in me said leave good enough alone

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    OK i'll tellyou my exp here. I weld those on a lot. They are not that great IMO.
    I feel you would be better off not to have anything installed in it when you weld it. I have tried it both ways and usually it will shrink enuff that when you go to take it out it'll sieze with about a 1/4 turn or less. About any type of lube would melt so thats out. I have not found a good way to stop the shrinking and really feel they should be threaded the first time adter being welded. Just my opinion here not neccessarilly the gospel.
    The way I see those installed on pontoons from the factory is they weld them to the panel from the backside on just the edge. I don't get that luxury cause I'm the repair guy after the fact.
    I carry the correct pipe tap with me and chase the threads if need be very carefully because it is very easy to get it a fuzz off. Kroil has been kind to me on this.
    I prefer using the stamped ones that someone posted a while back on the tank flanges thread from Alegis or someone like that and they look and weld on much better.
    Heck looking at your fine work and resourcefullness I would venture to say that if you only needed one you could build/make a MUCH better fitting from a piece of 3/8th or 1/4" stock that way the weld is aways from the threads. The only reason people use the pipe is 'cause it is obviously the correct size hole for the tap.
    Precisionworks was selling some REALLY NICE ones here on the site and I was planning on getting with him and trying a few...that would be my first personal choice if time wasn't a factor...and I'm sure you are just dying to get welding so my 2nd choice would be make your own and then last would be use that one there. Just know if you put a decent weld like your other flange it's gonna shrink so leave the plug out in my experience. You'll prolly be fine tho.

Leave a comment:

• KB Fabrications
    replied
    Hey Carl, those threads will be fine. Just don't try and thread anything on there until it cools.

Leave a comment:

• tigman250
    replied
    i don't take any precautions to save the threads, i just try to concentrate the majority of the heat to the tank (or backing plate if you choose to use one). it does require some finess to not over heat the coupling but is very doable. it will essentially be a fillet weld so pull your tungsten out about a 1/8" or slightly more and weld it up. the true test will come with the leak check......then we will see if the old dawg learnt a new trick

Leave a comment:

• Pile Buck
    started a topic Got any tricks

Got any tricks

Sorry for all the newbie questions about aluminum . I have to weld this 1/2-inch, half coupling into my aluminum gas tank this morning. Just a little nervous about screwing up the threads. No real big deal I guess, because I could always run a 1/2-inch pipe tap back down through it . But is there a trick to saving the threads the first time without playing catch up later? I know it would be a bad idea to use some type of lubricant on the threads, because it could leak out and contaminate the weld. What about using Teflon tape, is that a bad idea? Or does one just pray to the welding Gods?

I welded the 2-inch pipe nipple in yesterday with no problems; I only had a 2-inch steel coupling to screw over the threads to keep the nipple from warping, not being familiar with aluminum I figured the threads would gall, but they didn’t! So I was just wondering if you aluminum experts had any tricks to pass along to an old newbie?
    Attached Files
Working...
X