Metal Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Brakes

What is a good brand name when buying metal brakes? Who usually has the best prices for them?

Thanks

It depends on what type you are looking for. If you are looking for a sheet metal brake I would say Tennsmith is the best. I bought a cheap 48in model & sent it back because the quality was junk & bought a Tennsmith.
    Bob Kraemer/Licensed Electrical Contractor

Miller 330 ABP
    Tree Mill W/DRO
    South Bend Lathe
    Tennsmith Brake
    Tennsmith Shear
    Beverly Throatless Shear
    JD/2 Bead roller
    O/A Torch
    Drill Press
    Grinders, Belt Sander Etc!
    And more hand tools than I know what to do with

Comment

some one mad a realy nice one a wile back , if you have the time it might be werth a serch for the plans it dose seem like any thing that bends over 20 gage is prity pricy
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

I bought a 36" clarke at the local farm store for a little over 200 bucks. Sure its china made but for the few pcs i will be bending a year it will do just fine. One other thing to remember is don't bend more than you should or you will spring them and also nick the dies that will forever leave marks in the steel. I also agree with the Tennsmith line i have their slip rolls....Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

I also agree with the Tennsmith line i have their slip rolls....Bob

now thats a fun toy right there.
          seems like the list never ends.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

Here is a link to Williams Low Buck tools. The sell small plate brakes & larger sheet metal brakes.

http://www.lowbucktools.com/prod.html
            Bob Kraemer/Licensed Electrical Contractor

Miller 330 ABP
            Tree Mill W/DRO
            South Bend Lathe
            Tennsmith Brake
            Tennsmith Shear
            Beverly Throatless Shear
            JD/2 Bead roller
            O/A Torch
            Drill Press
            Grinders, Belt Sander Etc!
            And more hand tools than I know what to do with

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now
              I also agree with the Tennsmith line i have their slip rolls....Bob

now thats a fun toy right there.
              seems like the list never ends.
              I even motorized it, felt like i was having a heart attack cranking 70" long parts thru it 3 or 4 times The motorized version is a lot better...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

I bought a Grizzly finger type a few years back and have mixed feelings.
                It's fine on the thin stuff (16ga. and less) but I never make anything thin so I don't use it much. But the price was certainly ok bang for the buck-wise.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300
                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

how heavy/big are you looking to bend? we've got 2 10' brakes at work (can't remember the brand), they work great for the AL trim wrap they were bought for, but they work ok for up to 26ga steel too. I'd love for them to buy a 10' press brake for my fab projects, but that's never going to happen. Northern tool seems to have some serviceable brakes in their catalog.
                  Bobcat 225NT
                  Cutmaster 52
                  Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                  Caterpillar TH63
                  '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

I spent the last 6 months searching for a box/pan brake and looked at jsut about every import out there. After looking at everything and talking to everyone, I bought a Tennsmith on e-pay, while I really wish I could have found a Chicago in my price range within a few hundred miles, I can honestly say that the Tennsmith is a really nice machine. Just keep one thing i mind, if the machine is rated for say 16ga X 48" and you need to bend 48" of 16ga, look for a larger capacity machine, say a 12ga x 48. Things will be much easier on both you and the brake. If you have the time to wait, there are some good deals to be had on e-bay, you just have to be patient. Good luck in your search.

Comment

I also bought a Grizzly 16 gauge finger brake and it is way over rated, if you try to do a piece of 16 gauge steel the ends come out nice and square and the middle more rounded but for $450.00 its not bad.

I think that National is a very good brand, right up there with Tennsmith.
                      http://www.national-1.com/HDBox_Pan_Brakes.htm
                      If I had to do it again I find an old nice Pexto.
                      Dynasty 300DX
                      Miller Matic 35
                      Piranha II

Comment

Finger brake or regular apron? I have an old 5 foot Whitney-Jenson rated for 16 ga. I have bent 2 foot lengths of 1/8 3003, 3 foot lengths of 16 ga ss, and 5 foot legths of 16 ga MS. All produce a nice even bend. I paid 500.00. It paid for it self after a couple jobs. I would not buy a new one and hold out for a used Pexto, Chicago D&K, or Whitney. Much more money for what you get. The guy I got mine from replaced it with an 8 foot 12 ga pexto. He paid a grand.

Comment

I got a 12 guage National and am really pleased with it. They are made in Tennissee and are of the same quality with Tennsmith. One thing to remember though, the extra quality costs extra and you will pay a good bit more for the Tennsmith, National, Chicago or any of the good ones.
                          To all who contribute to this board.
                          My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
                          Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                          Miller Syncrowave 250
                          Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Working...
                          X