No excuses now Coalsmoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No excuses now Coalsmoke

I’ve been doing a little reading about Dodge trucks. Been thinking about selling my F-550, and buying a 1-ton dually Dodge. With this new 6.7 and either the Aisin or 68RFE tranny. Seems, as there is some confusion if the Aisin will go in the 4500 / 5500 class or the 3500. Anyway this new 6.7 with 350 to 375-horsepower sure got my attention!

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/medium-duty.html

http://www.automotive.com/features/9...435/index.html

The 3500 chassis cab models can get the Aisin, but not the regular bed models, from my understanding.

Comment

You will like it, Carl. I just got an '07 with the 5.9..one of the last of 'em. I am quite pleased so far. Now I gotta get my TB carrier finished so I can get the welder in it.
      Attached Files
      Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
      '06 12RC feeder
      Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
      Esab Multimaster 260
      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Thanks Carl. Anyone with ties to Dodge denies any existence of a class 4 or 5 truck, yet, but I believe it will happen. They have a big press release scheduled for March of this upcoming new year Ever since they got Freightliner I have been saying / thinking that they will use the FL plant to help produce the class 4 and 5 trucks, but officially there is no evidence of such yet, and, there are no test data photos or anything of the sort. You will like the Cummins, no doubt. Right now I am trying to figure out how to make everything fit in the 12,000lb GVWR of a 2003/2004 3500 dually, and still have a bit of room left over to pull a small trailer, ideally a travel trailer with a cargo hold, but I won't have that much GVWR to spare. A 5500 would make it all so simple, except for the cost, but even that could be worked on once I get PWP'd. Mac got the Aisin info right, cab and chassis models only (so far). Mac, good to see you back
        hre

Comment

In my research I came across a bulletin board / forum for Dodge trucks. They had a 6.7L section; I was reading different opinions about the transmissions, which we all know how that goes ! One calling the other a liar ! Those truck guys get a little passionate over their trucks ! Nothing like us and our welders ! Anyway seems as this 68RFE got really great reviews as well. I belong to a Ford forum, and that’s the first stone the Ford guys throw at the Dodge guys is their weak transmission. I personally don’t know , but file that in the memory bank just incase. Of course the Dodge guys come right back with the 6.0L remark!

With our grandkids getting bigger by the day, the wife is reminding me she wanted a 4-door / quad cab when I bought the F-550 , well I don’t have the horses anymore so no more runs east of the mountains for hay. That’s why I’ve been doing a little research on the Dodge. Looking at the Ram 3500 / dually, Quad cab, Laramie “H” package, 4x4. Then I discovered the coming of the 6.7, now I’m even more interested.

Also doing a little research on Kelly Blue Book, according to them I can get almost as much for the F-550 as I paid for it. Which is surprising; I figured the value would have plummeted, with all the problems with the 6.0! Only discrepancy is KBB list the F-550 as only going up to 165-inch wheelbase, my truck has the 200.8-inch wheelbase. Don’t know if that’s more of a value or less. I know it’s less when you go to turn around.

Comment

There you go Coal.
            Just shorten PB's 550 and you are in business!
            Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by J hall View Post
              There you go Coal.
              Just shorten PB's 550 and you are in business!
              Not without an engine transplant thanks

PB, no disagreement from me that the previous dodge autos seemed to get the job done, but not all that well. They're dubbed slush-boxes for a reason The Aisin is like an Allison, and I suspect as it becomes more widely implmented it will end any dodge auto transmission complaints.
              hre

Comment

Slap a 5.9 in that 550 and it would be perfect.
                Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                '06 12RC feeder
                Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                Esab Multimaster 260
                Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by DDA52 View Post
                  Slap a 5.9 in that 550 and it would be perfect.
                  5.9 your azz! 6.7 at least . Or, I went looking at motor homes with my sister and brother-n-law last Tuesday, some of those puppies had 4 and 500-HP Cummins in them

Comment

My 04 is on the list for a Suncoast in the near future, once the tranny is in it will be off to the shop for its twin turbos.

Can't leave anything alone, but my Truck is my favorite toy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post
                      5.9 your azz! 6.7 at least . Or, I went looking at motor homes with my sister and brother-n-law last Tuesday, some of those puppies had 4 and 500-HP Cummins in them

Carl, you could not be trusted with a real Cummins. Can you say Road Warrior??

FWIW, my 5.9 is at 325 horsies. It thinks it is a hot rod.
                      Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                      '06 12RC feeder
                      Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                      Esab Multimaster 260
                      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

The latest issue of Diesel Builder Magazine has an article on putting a Cummins in a Ford.Not seen the mag yet,my dad was telling me about it,but it is a kit that one can buy to do the swap.All the engineering and design work has been done,just buy the kit and do the swap(I know it`s not that easy).So all you Ford F250 and 350 guys can have what we Dodge owners have had for some time now,a real diesel!

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
                          Thanks Carl. Anyone with ties to Dodge denies any existence of a class 4 or 5 truck, yet, but I believe it will happen. They have a big press release scheduled for March of this upcoming new year Ever since they got Freightliner I have been saying / thinking that they will use the FL plant to help produce the class 4 and 5 trucks, but officially there is no evidence of such yet, and, there are no test data photos or anything of the sort. You will like the Cummins, no doubt. Right now I am trying to figure out how to make everything fit in the 12,000lb GVWR of a 2003/2004 3500 dually, and still have a bit of room left over to pull a small trailer, ideally a travel trailer with a cargo hold, but I won't have that much GVWR to spare. A 5500 would make it all so simple, except for the cost, but even that could be worked on once I get PWP'd. Mac got the Aisin info right, cab and chassis models only (so far). Mac, good to see you back
                          They got Freightliner? Or did Freightlibner get them? Mercedes owns both. Those little Dodge Sprinters and Freightliner minis are really Mercedes panel wagons....

Comment

If you can't Dodge it, Ram it......I'd rather be Cummin than Strokin.......

Comment

Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
                              They got Freightliner? Or did Freightlibner get them? Mercedes owns both. Those little Dodge Sprinters and Freightliner minis are really Mercedes panel wagons....
                              They (they being Dialmer/Chrysler) got Freightliner
                              hre

Comment

Working...
                              X