Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe a long shot, anyone have grizzly coupon ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailshaft56
    replied
    No help on the coupon but Grizzly's 2007 pricing will start tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• b18c1cya
    replied
    Yes I use a clarke saw wich I think is just in the same level as the harbor freight ones , the saw cut like crap out of the box but after dialing it in the saw cuts great for under 200 bucks

Leave a comment:

• 90blackcrx
    replied
    And check out the two adds, same title even though one has the old cylinder mounting points

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34272

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93507

And the green one is more then the grizzly
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0561

So can we get off the topic, we all know the ellis is a better saw, but also cost more money.

Leave a comment:

• 90blackcrx
    replied
    Originally posted by x-ray View Post
    Swiped this pic off the Internet to help illustrate what I am getting at and why I think the Ellis or any horizontal saw (ok maybe the double column kind) is not the best choice for his stated application: cutting stainless El's for his faster-n-more furious, product.

By cutting these bends correctly the builder is able to rotate the tubing in any direction, but if cut wrong the ends will not match up and turning the tube anywhere but where the cut is, equals misalignment (read shoddy work).

In the center of that u-bend in the attachment is an imaginary point that the saw blade must follow straight out to the tangent when making the cut, the thing is when the saw pivots to make the angle will it or will it not drop down this tangent? I know the one I have will move from this center point without some extreme gimmickry with part positioning in vise.

Maybe the Ellis could I do not have one?

Now a Vertical saw keeps the blade in a single plane which would make it easy to reference off the imaginary center, the only thing left to do is make a jig and work-holding device to feed the part (better yet a vert saw that will move the blade into the part so you don't have to).
    {hacksaws & portabands could do it easy too}

Now would I get rid of my mitering horizontal band-saw...shoot no best **** tool out there for the multi-tasking fabricator.
    I'm not cutting that type of "tube" I'm cutting pipe. It can fit in the size of your hand and will suck holding. www.acestainless.com

joebass as I said, they are not minor difference. My harbor freight saw does not track correclty anymore and is missing the key adjustment bolt, to angle the blade.

Smaller harbor freight saw, which lasted pretty long and I defiantly made my money back. But the issue

Why am I bringing this up, well if it had one key bolt that allows you to angle the blade, like the jet does, the saw would still work well.

The arrow is pointing to the bolt , where it should be.

Like I said though, I thought about the ellis, I know its a good saw, I just don't need it at the time being and it would not be a wise choice to buy it.

And if you search on here, you will see that people have had good experience with the grizzly saws.
    http://www.millermotorsports.com/mbo...hlight=grizzly

I don't know why we are having this discussion, I took everyones advice, and thought it out. The ellis is, number one to big, I don't have the room. Number two, for what I will be doing with it, the price is just to high and would not be a smart buy for me.

As far as the cuts go, yeah check out all the cuts he makes here

www.rld-fab.com , he has cut pieces for 6 hours straight, the only issue he had was when the blade got jammed on a piece, and the blade did not jump track, and the motor burned out.

http://rld-fab.com/images/6_collectors_004.JPG

Leave a comment:

• joebass
    replied
    I agree that he needs a vert. saw for his application.

Leave a comment:

• x-ray
    replied
    Swiped this pic off the Internet to help illustrate what I am getting at and why I think the Ellis or any horizontal saw (ok maybe the double column kind) is not the best choice for his stated application: cutting stainless El's for his faster-n-more furious, product.

By cutting these bends correctly the builder is able to rotate the tubing in any direction, but if cut wrong the ends will not match up and turning the tube anywhere but where the cut is, equals misalignment (read shoddy work).

In the center of that u-bend in the attachment is an imaginary point that the saw blade must follow straight out to the tangent when making the cut, the thing is when the saw pivots to make the angle will it or will it not drop down this tangent? I know the one I have will move from this center point without some extreme gimmickry with part positioning in vise.

Maybe the Ellis could I do not have one?

Now a Vertical saw keeps the blade in a single plane which would make it easy to reference off the imaginary center, the only thing left to do is make a jig and work-holding device to feed the part (better yet a vert saw that will move the blade into the part so you don't have to).
    {hacksaws & portabands could do it easy too}

Now would I get rid of my mitering horizontal band-saw...shoot no best **** tool out there for the multi-tasking fabricator.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Sundown
    replied
    [QUOTE=joebass;78648]<snip>Sundown made a reference to some differences. NONE add up to a saw that costs twice what the other does. <snip>QUOTE]

I did not pay twice what even the HF cost (I bought mine new in a local tool store), and in my opinion the 56M jet is worth twice what the HF costs, of course you are intitled to your opinion. If I were going into business and needed a saw I most certinly would buy the Ellis or something better, but I really don't need to pay 5 - 6 or more times what the Jet cost me to cut some tubing ... esp. when both cuts will be dead on accurate and speed is not an issue.

Leave a comment:

• KB Fabrications
    replied
    Originally posted by joebass View Post
    And even though those others cost half what an Ellis does they are NOT half as good.
    Right on the mark with that statement.

Leave a comment:

• joebass
    replied
    I'm not knocking them, they are what they are. For a guy that wants to make money doing this kind of work they are not a good choice. He came on here and asked for advice. He ignored what everyone said. If he had done a search, and not asked for advice, came on here showing his new grizzly, no one would have any comments.I just cant stand when people make them out to be something they are not.

The only guys saying that that the differences between the saws matter are the ones that pay twice what the HF saw goes for. Sundown made a reference to some differences. NONE add up to a saw that costs twice what the other does. And even though those others cost half what an Ellis does they are NOT half as good.

Leave a comment:

• KB Fabrications
    replied
    Originally posted by x-ray View Post
    Awe, come on even those Ellis saws everybody digs are stoopers ...what 27-28" from floor to vise?
    27 5/8" on the 1600. Just right when you have to herk some big $hit up on the rollers. Beats the heII out of the crappy Jet 7 x 12 I used to have.

Leave a comment:

• x-ray
    replied
    Originally posted by joebass View Post
    Very minor differences. The casting makes no difference. Those chinese HP ratings are all over inflated and known to be innacurate. And as far as the stand goes they are both about a foot to short to be useful.

Awe, come on even those Ellis saws everybody digs are stoopers ...what 27-28" from floor to vise?

Leave a comment:

• joebass
    replied
    Very minor differences. The casting makes no difference. Those chinese HP ratings are all over inflated and known to be innacurate. And as far as the stand goes they are both about a foot to short to be useful.

Leave a comment:

• Sundown
    replied
    Originally posted by 90blackcrx View Post
    Not always true, you probably think the harbor freight 6x4 and jet are the same, there not. A key feature is missing on the harbor frieght one.
    Not to mention that the HF and the Jet in this size do not use the same bow castings Oh yeah i forgot to mention the small motor difference and yeah I almost forgot the base ... etc

Leave a comment:

• x-ray
    replied
    Originally posted by 90blackcrx View Post
    Not at all, how are they ?
    Hmm...I don't know, just noted them when I cruised over to the Grizzly website to see what saw you were talking about. But now I see there are two 7x12 saws and maybe you were not looking at the higher priced one, which means these other two would also be outside of your budget?

Have you tried cutting your part in your Buddy's saw and could you post pictures of the cut ends? I am curious how well a horizontal saw handles the application you mentioned in your other saw thread.

Leave a comment:

• 90blackcrx
    replied
    Not at all, how are they ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X