Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottle History

First, merry christmas to you all.

Now for the thread.. Talking to a friend one night at work he told me little a factoid that I'll share with you guys. Maybe you can help confirm or de-bunk it. The factiod is this, after the second world war some of the "spoils" that made their way out of Germany were pressure vessles, IE gas bottles. As they were marked with the swastika (probably spelled wrong). The swastika was over stamped with a dash "-" punch to turn the swastika into for small connected squares. I have a bottle that fits the description. The first hydro stamp I can find is 10/44, it has 2 of the "4 square" marks. I tried to photograph it but didn't get real good results. Take a look and let me know.

P.S. This bottle is marked as belonging to Ind. O2 Supply at some point in it's life, I'll give them a call to see if they've ever heard of such.
    Attached Files
    Frank
    (aka Fred) back from the penal league
    MM200 (antique and still cook'n) - gone
    Replaced by a MM252
    Lincoln 160 buzzzzzz box - left to live with a nice youngster
    Dynasty 300DX - still kickin'
    Spectrum 625 - ditto
    Chevalier Knee Mill - Bridgeport clone you idiot. - gone
    Homebuilt tube bender - with home made dies no less - now co-opted
    Delta Drill Press & Grinder collection -

Needed - a bigger shop to use the stuff https://forum.millerwelds.com/images...es/frown.png?2

Fred I had a bottle about 3yrs ago with Property of the U.S. Navy cast in it, Funny that it made its way to Canada. I have not heard of the swaztika story but I would have to say I would believe it more than not.

Comment

I have an old 244 oxygen my LWS sold me 20 years ago that's marked US Army. Dates on it go back to WWII era. I put my name on it and they refill and test as needed. They told me that it's a better bottle than a lot of newer ones as far as testing goes. Less stretch. If some of these old bottles could talk they could give us some good stories. Maybe some could speak German?
      Jim

Comment

I’ve seen these bottles before. Back in the 1970’s I had a kid who was my weldor’s helper. In time he moved on, got a job at the local welding supply, ended up being the manager. He got to the point he was collecting these bottles whenever he would find one. He pointed it out to me one day when I was at his store. Some had the swastika plain as day, others were boxed in. If they were true “swastikas” or not I have no idea, but still makes for an interesting story ! Another point that could add to the legitimacy of the story is, all these bottles were Linde!

Comment

Well Pile that pretty well confirms it for me!! When you consider the dates there wasn't anyone in the world at that time that would have used a swastica as a joke or anything else for that matter. It still pisses me off if I see it used and I'm too young but my dad did WWII and It's just in my blood.
          My wife and me both are 1/2 German and my greatgrandparents came over and didn't speak much English but I still hate everything that c0ck$uCker Hitler stood for!!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300
          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Yep it is true you still will see one now and then with the swastika on them. They are all Linde bottles from what i've seen. Karl von Linde was a german scientist that if I remember right helped invent how to get that Oxygen into them cylinders. Almost all the old Linde cylinders had that Swash on them after the war they tried to cover them up with a box stamp that made it look like a four pane window. most of the ones see were made in the teens & twenties & are still in use. I'll look & see if I can find one & take a pic for you all to see what I'm talking about.
            Dynasty 200DX With TEC Superflex 9 & 17 Torches,
            Hypertherm 30A Plasma
            Rincoln SP130T Mig

Comment

Linde

Heres A blurb about Mr Linde I Googled

""Although discovering oxygen and investigating its role in chemical reactions proved to be of crucial importance in changing the science of chemistry, initially oxygen could be produced only in the laboratory and in limited quantities, by chemical or electrolytic means: it had little importance outside the laboratory. It was the achievement of Carl von Linde (1842–1934) in 1902 to take oxygen from the air itself—and he was soon extracting it in quantities approaching one thousand cubic feet per hour. Oxygen became a common commodity that was supplied to hospitals and industries and was later used in rocket fuel, but this was not the German engineer's first important contribution.

Linde, the son of a Lutheran minister, was educated in science and engineering at the Federal Polytechnic in Zurich, Switzerland. After working for locomotive manufacturers in Berlin and Munich, he became a faculty member at the Polytechnic in Munich. His research there on heat theory, from 1873 to 1877, led to his invention of the first reliable and efficient compressed-ammonia refrigerator. The company he established to promote this invention was an international success: refrigeration rapidly displaced ice in food handling and was introduced into many industrial processes.""

I went out to the racks & took some pictures for you all I will post tomorrow or later tonight when I can get the Pic's out of the camera.
              Hypertherm 30A Plasma
              Rincoln SP130T Mig

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn B View Post
                a box stamp that made it look like a four pane window.
                That's what is on the cylinder, 2 places. It's kind of cool to touch a little bit of history. (Before anyone gets their nickers in a twist, I agree that the atrocities of the then German government are beyond any nightmare) But I'm of the age that came after and in seeing a symbol of it inforces that the nightmare existed.

On a somewhat serious note, while I don't think we should dwell on things such as the holcast, 911, Oklahoma city, etc I think we should see reminders to inforce it shouldn't be allowed to ever happen again. (I'll stand down from the soap box now)
                Frank
                (aka Fred) back from the penal league
                MM200 (antique and still cook'n) - gone
                Replaced by a MM252
                Lincoln 160 buzzzzzz box - left to live with a nice youngster
                Dynasty 300DX - still kickin'
                Spectrum 625 - ditto
                Chevalier Knee Mill - Bridgeport clone you idiot. - gone
                Homebuilt tube bender - with home made dies no less - now co-opted
                Delta Drill Press & Grinder collection -

Needed - a bigger shop to use the stuff https://forum.millerwelds.com/images...es/frown.png?2

Comment

Got ya some pics

Originally posted by Glenn B View Post
                  Yep it is true you still will see one now and then with the swastika on them. They are all Linde bottles from what i've seen. Karl von Linde was a german scientist that if I remember right helped invent how to get that Oxygen into them cylinders. Almost all the old Linde cylinders had that Swash on them after the war they tried to cover them up with a box stamp that made it look like a four pane window. most of the ones see were made in the teens & twenties & are still in use. I'll look & see if I can find one & take a pic for you all to see what I'm talking about.
                  Here are a few pics I found one hydro'd in 1914, 1916,1917 The 1914 was boxed out right, the other two were not lined up perfectly. you can make out the swash if you try. some are still there that got missed when they tried to get rid of them. some cyls can sit in someones barn for 20 years before they bring them back for refill. The 1917 probably is the easiest to see the old swastika on
                  Attached Files
                  Hypertherm 30A Plasma
                  Rincoln SP130T Mig

Comment

See Glenn this just collaborate one of the theories I’ve had for years ! You’re posting pictures of bottles still in use that are pushing 100-years old, and still in services. Plus someone has the nerve to put 2,200-pounds of oxygen in them ! What are these bottles made of? Steel!

Ok back to my theory / “beech”! Our engineering / design community as been preaching for years that concrete has a 1-hundred year life expectancy. Just in the last 10-years or so they’re backing up on that statement. Concrete is not doing anywhere near that! But they keep designing bridges, overpasses, and other structures with it. In 20 to 30-years someone has to go back and do a major retrofit to bring these structure back into code. What a freaking waste of money ! They should outlaw wood and concrete, and only build things out of steel! Do it right the first time! Why does this country insists on designing inferior structures with concrete, then waste tax payer’s money playing catch up????? I’ll tell you why, concrete is cheaper for the initial cost, that’s why! If these engineers are so smart, why can’t they see this? Educated people, give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it right the first time, build it out of steel!

Comment

Back 20 years ago when I started in the welding industry driving delivery truck we used to see a lot of the tanks with the swatstikas on them not so much anymore i checked all my tanks in my store for the heck of it and found none.

Comment

Easy now Pile ole buddy ...take a deep breath...just because you are 100% right is no reason to get upset.
                        I love the plastic railings on multi-level buildings that they claim are so great.
                        All of the kids I had a hand in raising that went on to become engineers would never lift a finger to even pound one nail or get a job that would teach the basics. Thats what they have lowly skilled workers for!
                        Architects are running a close second. Both always work on a "this is all you need" theory and are wanting to make a name for themselves. Never overbuilt like one of us guys would do it. I guess we ought to be grateful cause if not for all if these "good enuff" products some of us wouldn't have jobs re-engineering all the broken crap they drag to our doorstep nowadays.
                        If Hitler had not came to power chances are Germany may have came to rule the free world just because of all the great things they were inventing...and maybe not, we'll never know. They were truely brilliant minds over there at the time tho...glad they weren't ALL evil.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

My grandparents and dad at 2 1/2 came to America in 1924 ollking for a better life, dad in WWII at China and India. Yes i'm also 100% German was stuck in Nam, don't mix us with the few bad, bad comes in any race. Look what we (USA) did to American born Japanese.
                          Still proud of our mechanical ability and what we can manufacture, we contributed a lot in the science department here in the good old USA.

Sorry off topic, had to vent.

Comment

Looking at the pic I have doubts.

I have over the years handled a lot of nazi germany items.

If I had a closeup pic of the 4 square stamp I could tell a little better.

To date I have not heard of an item bearing a swastika being turned into 4 squares. Swastika stampings on many items were uneven, probably due to poor stamping process at the time. Also it was rare that an item was stamped with a swastika alone, it was common for the service using an item to put thier own stamp over or near the swastika. The " SS " had two S's that looked like lightening bolts, the police had thier mark, and other organizations as well.

I've searched the internet for Nazi items overstamped to conceal origin and came up blank.

If a swastika was overstamped with 4 lines to turn it into 4 squares there
                            would be evidence of the overstamping in the mark.

Comment

Originally posted by harcosparky View Post
                              If I had a closeup pic of the 4 square stamp I could tell a little better.

If a swastika was overstamped with 4 lines to turn it into 4 squares there
                              would be evidence of the overstamping in the mark.
                              They just stamped a Square over it.
                              Attached Files
                              Hypertherm 30A Plasma
                              Rincoln SP130T Mig

Comment

Working...
                              X