Stick/O/A Welding Dying Art?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by calweld View Post
    I think it was KB that mentioned it??? A cordless MIG gun???? That'll do it.
    I think I've almost got one perfected. All I need now is a roll of Bluetooth wire.

JD

Comment

I doubt seriously Stick welding will die, nor will the O/A process.

Are there weldors welding critical parts with say MIG or TIG than cannot strike an arc with a stick setup? I am certain there are, and why not? Why should someone learn a process they will never use in thier career path?

How many welders can weld with ultrasonic energy? The process is out there and certification testing is just as much a part of life. Last time I was certified you had to perform 100 operations and were only allowed one failure to be certified. Imagine telling someone they have to weld a 1 micron wire onto a 3 micron pad atop a piece of silicon? They'd look at me like I was nuts.

The point is, one need not know O/A, Stick, and MIG to be an excellent TIG weldor. You learn what you need to learn to work and earn a living. Welding is welding, the processes are different and each has it's place.

Personally, I earned my living welding 1-3 micron wires and aluminum bonding straps with ultrasonic energy and heat.

As a hobby I now weld with MIG ( cause it is so **** easy to learn and do well ) and O/A ( because I bought the torch to heat and bend but the guy sold me welding and cutting torches as well as two huge tanks for $200 ).

I took a class on Stick, which for me may have been as waste of money as I have no plans on getting a stick welder here. On the other hand if my neighbor asks me to lend a hand in welding up a piece of farm gear, I can grab a rod, a stinger and do what needs to be done.

What irks me in any skill field are the elites who think nobody can do anything good unless they can do it all.

Comment

Originally posted by JD in Socal View Post
        I think I've almost got one perfected. All I need now is a roll of Bluetooth wire.

JD
        White size Buletooth wire you need? We got some vaproware wire coming off the machines now. Doing bluetooth later on.

You should see the new 802.11n welder we have, does a heck of a job using IPv6. Soon you will be able to weld remotely via LAN and WAN. Gotta look out for packet collisions though.

Gee I sound like an old network engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by harcosparky View Post
          White size Buletooth wire you need? We got some vaproware wire coming off the machines now. Doing bluetooth later on.

You should see the new 802.11n welder we have, does a heck of a job using IPv6. Soon you will be able to weld remotely via LAN and WAN. Gotta look out for packet collisions though.

???? I'm getting a headache . . .

Comment

I've heard that doing this new wireless welding with a headache will cause porosity in the weld!
            Syncrowave 180 SD
            MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
            1971 Roughneck 1e
            Stars-n-Stripes BWE
            Optrel Satellite OSE
            ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
            Lincoln 200SA Diesel
            O/A Set
            Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
            1.5 kVA Spot Welder
            Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
            My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

Harcosparky...I hear ya man!
              Everybody has to start somewhere, I guess the whole welding thing has gotten so big with so many different processes that the day of similar backgrounds is over.
              Sorry if our reminising about the good ole days may have offended you or anyone else for that matter...welding has gotten HUGE and the all purpose man is getting scarcer these days and a few of us here fit that descrition and noticing our numbers are shrinking and are sorta wondering if maybe we should or even could do something about it!! I myself am all about using the new stuff just don't want to fergit where I came from and how I got there and It was the basics that did it for me. (thats all)
              It just strikes me as strange that people are learning the basics AFTER the specialized stuff nowadays..
              Elitist...I'll go off in my corner and chew on that (ultrasonic energy) awhile while I munch on my Christmas cookies.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I run stick just about everyday, either 7018 or 6011, at the shop I work at I'm really the only "trained welder", everyone else is more along the line of people who can burn rod or pull a trigger, I feel that you can never stop learning about welding and don't be afraid to ask questions or do some research. O/A welding I have to admit is few and far between the ocational brazing job that comes threw the door
                Trailblazer 302G
                MM 210 with spool gun
                Thermal Arc Heffty2 CC/CV suitcase
                Smith torches
                Porter Cable 14" carbide chop saw
                griders and hand tools coming out the WAZOO

I owe! I owe! so off to work I go!

Comment

i have MIG, TIG, stick, plasma and O/A and the O/A tanks can defenetly do things all the others combined cant. i just dont see it going any where for a long time. its just to versital and inexpensive in comparisen. especilay if you are working on any type of machinery, nothing like a rose bude to get things moving again.
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                  summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                  JAMES

Comment

My shop lives on short circuit mig but I spend the first part of my career stick welding and there are a couple reasons stick is fundamental for lack of better words is that it is so broadly used, there is no substitute for a compentant stick weldor and there isnt any faking it. Its obvious as daylight if someone doesnt know the operating parameters and technique for 6010. Being proffecient allows so many possibilities the amateur just cant compete with. Frame, trailer, hitch work, pressure piping, structural, boiler, the list goes on. It goes along a lot of trades, millwrights, piping, carpenters, even electricians need weldors which are many times filled by ohter trades during high demands.

Comment

When it looked like there was going to be a billion dollar powerhouse built half hr from my house I figured if I didnt up with some better way to capitolize I would go back to the trades while it lasted. Ones first thought woulf be o go to Ironwork but that could be heavy and sparky has cool tools too so I was thinking I would join up there, I would have been a has run Ironworker or pipeweldor but brackets and raceway I can do,, ha. I would have had to join a union but there is room for everone on something like that especially if you are a little pushy like I am. It didnt pass zoning but it was going to be a monster, on a bitty spot of ground straight up like a freakin hi rise.

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
                        Oh My, Don't joke about such things, I can almost see it forsale in the Home Depot Milwaukee 28V Lithium-Ion Cordless Mig

Thanks for the laugh
                        I made one back around Thanks Giving two 28v Milwaukee bats and my redy welder fully charges it gave me about 6 minutes of weld time enough power with 035 nr211 to lay a nice fillet on 1/4" plate
                        TJ______________________________________

Comment

[QUOTE=Fat-Fab.com;79034]I made one back around Thanks Giving two 28v Milwaukee bats and my redy welder fully charges it gave me about 6 minutes of weld time enough power with 035 nr211 to lay a nice fillet on 1/4" plate[/QUOTE

just to see if it could be done or did you have a job for it?
                          Trailblazer 302G
                          MM 210 with spool gun
                          Thermal Arc Heffty2 CC/CV suitcase
                          Smith torches
                          Porter Cable 14" carbide chop saw
                          griders and hand tools coming out the WAZOO

I owe! I owe! so off to work I go!

Comment

LOL i'm guessing its a just to see if you could thing.
                            better get a patent out on that and get her in the homedepots every where.
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                            JAMES

Comment

Working...
                            X