Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300 Dynasty Problem

Hi,

It's been a while since I've been here... Have had a ruff 8 Months taking care of 2 sick Parents...

Last year I bought a brand new 300DX Dynasty TIG Runner... I probably only have 6 Hours on it! I'm definately a Noobie as this was my first welder, and could use all of your help.

I went to the shop the other day to do a small job, and Had a big problem... I remember the last time I used the setup I saw the same thing, and figured it was nothing, and haven't used it since. I'm using 3/32 Lathanated about 180amps DC. welding mild steel.

What's happening is I'm getting a scattered arc, and a lot of spitting... It's burning holes threw the material. What's also really weird is it was totally rusted when I was finished! even though I ground it down, and wiped with alcohol.

I checked the gas lense, and line for clogging, and it's ok... Is one of the boards shot?!? I have messed up a few times with touching the torch to the work and getting a high pitched squealing sound... Thanks in advance,

Tony
    Miller Dynasty 300DX Runner
    Roadster BWE

Hello, for what it's worth if you call the distributor where you bought it or call miller directly, I know sometimes they offer the service of A rep who comes out and gives you a lesson on it... other than that I'm all ears, I have one myself.

What are the settings on, and where are the cables pluged in?

Kelly

Comment

Kelly,

All the cables and settings are where they were... I have not changed anything... And was getting very good results... The only thing I've changed is the Lathana Tungston...

I'm thinking maybe a fried a board or something...

Thanks,

Tony
      Roadster BWE

Comment

sounds like no inert gas

Comment

Originally posted by chub380 View Post
          sounds like no inert gas
          Indeed... That's why I checked that first... It's ok. Plenty left in the tank, and good flow.

It would explain it if it where that... severe oxidation, and scattered arc... I know that the gas ionizes, and provides a conductive path for the arc to follow...

Thanks,

Royd
          Roadster BWE

Comment

place your thumb over the cup hole with the gas flowing(lightly allowing excess pressure out) and chase down the line with a spray bottle with soapy water. You may have a leak in a line or a connection.
            Trailblazer 302g
            coolmate4
            hf-251d-1
            super s-32p
            you can never know enough

Comment

That was my first thought that something is leaking. Try tightening your gas connections. Fittings sometimes loosen for no apparent reason. Welder get moved something bumped cracks loosens temperature varations yada yada. I would check for leaks too.
              Joe
              [email protected]

Comment

Final

Thanks Guys!

This has been fully resolved... Unfortunately I'll never really know what the problem was... Because I changed more than one thing at once.

Firstly I fully disassembled the torch (nothing was loose), and fully cleaned the nozzle, The gas lens looked fine so I left it in. I got rid of the 3/32" Lathana tungsten I was using... I think on steel this could have been at least part of the problem.. It was 1.5% Sylvania.

I put in a new 3/32" Weldcraft Ceriated with a 2 1/2 X taper and a .020 flat. Prepped 2 pieces of 1/8" X 1" flat bar and attempted a simple butt weld.

It preformed flawlessly... what ever the problem was it is gone now...

Thank God! I thought I popped a board on an expensive new machine like this.... I was really worried.

Thanks much for all the help.

Tony
                Roadster BWE

Comment

Working...
                X