X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acetone is what I use for cleaning after the 2-3in scotchbrite wheel
    in the mini-grinder.
    MEK is some nasty stuff, I used to use it for washing down the
    engine on the Cessna till I found out how bad it is for you.
    Dave P.

Comment

Even with McMaster-Carr I've never seen aluminum tank flanges in their catalog. Fittings, yes, but not flanges. I've never liked welding fittings or nipples directly into a tank, flanges allow you to put the weld off the hole, they hold up better in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by calweld
        I've never liked welding fittings or nipples directly into a tank, flanges allow you to put the weld off the hole, they hold up better in real life.
        Aren’t you Mr. negativity today!

I was going to use galvanized fittings at first, what the he!! they look close enough.

If you do find a link let me know, seems as you can’t buy sheet in Seattle!

Comment

Negativity????? All I know, I've had to redo plenty of tanks with nipples or couplers welded in, anytime I've welded tank flanges on never heard of a problem. Of course, it's always possible the client called somebody else, but I really don't think so.

Anybody-- Where can you find aluminum tank flanges??????

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck
            I was going to use galvanized fittings at first, what the he!! they look close enough.
            Around here, we use black iron and silver paint

Comment

I absolutely hate doing anything twice . . . doesn't matter who's paying for it. . .

Comment

I’m going to do it the same way as I did the steel tank. Except for the 2-inch nipple, which the hand pump will be mounted to, I cut and 8-inch dia circle for a doubler plate. I’ll wait until I actually have the nipple before cutting the inside hole. I’m planning on cutting the inside hole a little bigger, bevel the hole in the doubler plate and the lid / top, and make a seal weld to both. Then insert the aluminum 2-inch nipple down where I can get a weld around the body, (no threads). For the filler neck, it’s going to be 1 1/2-inch, I’ll insert it deep enough just so the cap doesn’t bottom out against the lid / top. I also ordered a 1/2-inch half coupling for a drain.
                Attached Files

Comment

If I don't have time to wait for a tank flange (assuming I don't have one on the shelf), I hole-saw a piece of aluminum 1/4" plate about 1/2" bigger than the coupler I want, hole-saw it again for the size of the coupler, weld the two together, then weld the whole assembly down to the tank, with the hole in the tank sized according to the original coupler. This works well, just not as pretty as the tank flange.

Comment

Originally posted by calweld View Post
                    If I don't have time to wait for a tank flange (assuming I don't have one on the shelf), I hole-saw a piece of aluminum 1/4" plate about 1/2" bigger than the coupler I want, hole-saw it again for the size of the coupler, weld the two together, then weld the whole assembly down to the tank, with the hole in the tank sized according to the original coupler. This works well, just not as pretty as the tank flange.
                    Ok if I’m understanding you ! That’s the same process as my doubler correct? Just twice as thick.
                    I’m trying really hard to imagine these tank flanges you’re talking about, I can’t say I’ve ever seen one . You wouldn’t happen to have a picture would you?

Comment

On my way out to take one right now . . .

Comment

Is this what you’re talking about?

http://www.allegiscorp.com/SearchCat...e=Tank+Flanges

Comment

Plain And Simple...

ACETONE, SCOTCHBRITE, AND 4043 FILLER!!! SOMETIMES I WILL GET OUT THE LITTLE MAPP GAS TORCH TO REMOVE ANY MOISTURE AND GIVE A LITTLE PREHEAT. I MAKE MY OWN WELD-IN FITTINGS, LIKE BARRY SAID MUCH EASIER AND THEY ALWAYS FIT! MERRY XMAS SHANE/PERFORMANCE WELDING & MACHINE

Comment

Here's what I have . . . first pic is two flanges, one up, one down. Second pic is a cross-section view of one, notice the "insert" (hole size) and the weld surface. These are 2", normally I keep two each 2" and 1 1/2" in stock, but used both 1 1/2" last week, have a couple more on order. Other sizes, just bush them down.
                            Attached Files

Comment

OK! I see now! That’s definitely the ticket ! Sure would add some class. Just might distract someone so they wouldn’t look at my welds

Would be nice to find an online supplier for those.

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post
                                OK! I see now! That’s definitely the ticket ! Sure would add some class. Just might distract someone so they wouldn’t look at my welds
                                Would be nice to find an online supplier for those.
                                Shhhhh!!!!! Don't let everybody know my secret to a successful portable welding business!!!!!

Actually, the one you posted will work also, the big thing is not having the weld right in and filling the hole, that's just asking for a future leak, especially in aluminum.

Comment

Working...
                                X