Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Branscom
    replied
    I was thinking that even if a person answers a post or thread 5 years late does NOT mean that the info is not meaningful. It could still make a difference.

Even 5 years afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• Donald Branscom
    replied
    Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
    Tig, You mean Mig don't you ?

......... Norm:
    I think you really caught this mistake NFINCH86, Good going!!

Leave a comment:

• Donald Branscom
    replied
    Originally posted by Miller John View Post
    I find Stick welding gets a bad name from all of the AC buzz boxes sold. New Stick machines really weld nice and stick has major advantages over wire for some Maintenance and Repair work and for some types of field work.
    Stick is: Simple equipment and hookups, not restricted to how far you can go from the power source, most forgiving on rusty or dirty metal (even though joint prep is always recommended), does not have wire that gets rusty or plugs up liners or contact tips..............
    Great to hear from one of the Miller crew!!

Leave a comment:

• Miller John
    replied
    I find Stick welding gets a bad name from all of the AC buzz boxes sold. New Stick machines really weld nice and stick has major advantages over wire for some Maintenance and Repair work and for some types of field work.
    Stick is: Simple equipment and hookups, not restricted to how far you can go from the power source, most forgiving on rusty or dirty metal (even though joint prep is always recommended), does not have wire that gets rusty or plugs up liners or contact tips..............

Leave a comment:

• torn7th
    replied
    Wasnt trying to be a smartass i was just saying that in the past we were not allowed to use stick in several plant shutdowns. And yes there safety codes restricted us to that. Theyre not worried about production during shutdowns. I agree though with everyone that MIG is ofcourse faster. Sorry guys wasnt trying to step on anyones toes honestly..

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    Originally posted by torn7th View Post
    I never see it going away cause it serves a great purpose but alot of plants and companies are getting away from it because of OHSA and the sparks and fumes. More and more places are going to TIG only... Its gonna eventually be all TIG from what ive seen even on mild steel.....
    Plants and companies base their production decisions on code, cost, and efficiency. Bottom line, that's what it's all about.

Leave a comment:

• sturugged
    replied
    a place for every thing and everythying in its place ....

Yes , I am in agreement that stick will never be totally replaced. The versatility of the process is why it has endured for so lang and will continue. Dont get me wrong MIG Tig and fluxcore all have applications where they can really shine, but in the repair world nothing can beat the strength of properly laid stick welds. Like some other guys have said on heavy equipment, a stick root pass is usually much stronger than the wire feed, the only problem is deposition rates. Wire is good but it has to go in smokin hot or it seems most of the welds are inferior. That being said i'd hate to use them aluminum stick rods to glue the beer cans together! They are kinda fun to play with though , if your welding scrap or non critical stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Helios
    replied
    Originally posted by MMW View Post
    The expert statements sometimes amazes me.
    ...especially when it's in response to a post that's over 4 years old!

Leave a comment:

• MMW
    replied
    I never see it going away cause it serves a great purpose but alot of plants and companies are getting away from it because of OHSA and the sparks and fumes. More and more places are going to TIG only... Its gonna eventually be all TIG from what ive seen even on mild steel.....
    The expert statements sometimes amazes me.

Leave a comment:

• Donald Branscom
    replied
    You are misinformed. Sorry.
    They are not getting away from SMAW because of OSHA. Silly.
    There are 50 different welding processes.
    TIG is not fast enough in a production environment on large weldments.
    Each one has a purpose. Do you think they could build a ship with TIG??
    TiG is good for projects in steel that are 1/4 inch or less. Or on some aluminum weldments where MIG would not work.

OSHA cares about safety of the workers, even if your company does not.
    You can weld with the SMAW process and be safe. Not a problem.
    Even if you were welding with TIG there is fumes and an ARC.

Leave a comment:

• Donald Branscom
    replied
    Originally posted by SMTatham View Post
    Nope, stick welding will not be rendered obsolete in the lifetime of anyone posting on this board.
    Absolutely right SMTatham!!!

I started welding when I was 16 and now I am 61. Stick welding is still relevant.
    It can do jobs other welding process cannot and at a much lower cost for small jobs. Also other developing countries do not need high tech right away- too expensive.

BTW I was at a grocery store the other day and was talking to a young guy about welding. He knew all about MIG but had never heard of STICK, (SMAW) welding!!!! Very interesting.

One time I was at Kinko's years ago and they had typewriters and computers and
    I just needed to write a quick letter. Had to look good. Anyway I asked how to turn off a buzzer on the fancy typewriter and the Kinko's person said " I don't know anything about those complicated typewriters but I would be glad to show you a computer...it is much simpler!" LOL....

I found the buzzer thing on the fancy typewriter and turned it off.

Years later I went to a computer school and learned computers because I realized how they could help welding.

Leave a comment:

• nfinch86
    replied
    Tig, You mean Mig don't you ?

......... Norm:

Leave a comment:

• torn7th
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 1Nonly
    replied
    I look at stick kinda like i look at James Brown(RIP), Lil Richard, The Wright Brothers...in there genre they are the fore fathers of that trade and for that their use never goes away...and also its easy, quick, and fairly efficient.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Hey Pile Buck those same capacitors seem to do that on all those machines or at least all of them I've looked at but it sure doesn't seem to effect performance...mine has made me enuff $$$ it don't owe me a thing.
    And yer right it is a great stick welder...I'll prolly never sell mine. Have you tigged with yours?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X