stick weld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MMW View Post
    The expert statements sometimes amazes me.
    ...especially when it's in response to a post that's over 4 years old!

Comment

a place for every thing and everythying in its place ....

Yes , I am in agreement that stick will never be totally replaced. The versatility of the process is why it has endured for so lang and will continue. Dont get me wrong MIG Tig and fluxcore all have applications where they can really shine, but in the repair world nothing can beat the strength of properly laid stick welds. Like some other guys have said on heavy equipment, a stick root pass is usually much stronger than the wire feed, the only problem is deposition rates. Wire is good but it has to go in smokin hot or it seems most of the welds are inferior. That being said i'd hate to use them aluminum stick rods to glue the beer cans together! They are kinda fun to play with though , if your welding scrap or non critical stuff.
      I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Comment

Originally posted by torn7th View Post
        I never see it going away cause it serves a great purpose but alot of plants and companies are getting away from it because of OHSA and the sparks and fumes. More and more places are going to TIG only... Its gonna eventually be all TIG from what ive seen even on mild steel.....
        Plants and companies base their production decisions on code, cost, and efficiency. Bottom line, that's what it's all about.
        "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Wasnt trying to be a smartass i was just saying that in the past we were not allowed to use stick in several plant shutdowns. And yes there safety codes restricted us to that. Theyre not worried about production during shutdowns. I agree though with everyone that MIG is ofcourse faster. Sorry guys wasnt trying to step on anyones toes honestly..

Comment

I find Stick welding gets a bad name from all of the AC buzz boxes sold. New Stick machines really weld nice and stick has major advantages over wire for some Maintenance and Repair work and for some types of field work.
            Stick is: Simple equipment and hookups, not restricted to how far you can go from the power source, most forgiving on rusty or dirty metal (even though joint prep is always recommended), does not have wire that gets rusty or plugs up liners or contact tips..............
            Have a great day!

John Leisner
            Product Manager
            Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Owner and user of:
            Trailblazer 302 and Legend 301
            Smith Dual Guard oxy-fuel system
            Various borrowed Millermatics and Spectrums.

Comment

Originally posted by Miller John View Post
              I find Stick welding gets a bad name from all of the AC buzz boxes sold. New Stick machines really weld nice and stick has major advantages over wire for some Maintenance and Repair work and for some types of field work.
              Stick is: Simple equipment and hookups, not restricted to how far you can go from the power source, most forgiving on rusty or dirty metal (even though joint prep is always recommended), does not have wire that gets rusty or plugs up liners or contact tips..............
              Great to hear from one of the Miller crew!!

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
                Tig, You mean Mig don't you ?

......... Norm:
                I think you really caught this mistake NFINCH86, Good going!!

Comment

I was thinking that even if a person answers a post or thread 5 years late does NOT mean that the info is not meaningful. It could still make a difference.

Even 5 years afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                  X