No announcement yet.

stick weld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will be here for a long time yet. It is so versatile and the quality so high, lot of benifits at times, so widely used from genereal fab, repair to construction with the strictist codes. There might be a shortage, there is always a need for good stick weldors and its not something you can fake. Some of the places you have to do it can be downright challenging. I dont do much field work anymore but unless I had a real production reason I wouldnt carry all that crap. The majority of field work the avg guy will run in to can be done welder torch grinder, simple. Shop, different story, sticks are messy, smokey, slow, costly. There its plasma and MIG.

Comment

Stick welding will be around longer than any of us. MIG is plenty strong if it's done correctly. I've stick welded for 30 years. Got my first MIG a few months ago. Both have their uses.
      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by pipeline Dan View Post
        Its different here in Alberta. We stick weld almost everything that is outside
        guys do mig weld outside but not a alot. Here mig welding is for guys starting out. sure there is mig roots on pipe but thats in a shop where you have more
        control over things like wind and temps. Guys who would use mig would
        be guys that do art, light gauge metal or body work. I find that you guys in the US weld mig away more then we do here in Canada. Thats not bad dont get me wrong infact I have a brand new 12 RC that has welded about 10 mins and has never been used since. That 12 RC is 2 years old and looks
        brand new just out of the box. I never get calls for mig welding and nether
        do my buddies that weld. I think cause the codes here in Alberta are high
        guys dont take a chance with lack of pen or the fact that it welds so cold
        guys just stick weld more. There is wire feed going on but more on the
        flux core, metal core side of things, I dont here of that stuff done outside
        ether. I think they made mig welding for guys that wanted to learn how to
        weld as a do-it-yourself kind of welder. Hope I didnt p*ss anyone
        off with this post its just what I think sorry. As far as stick welding I think it will be
        here for as long as we are all here, rods will change and of course the welders them self
        will but stick will be here for a long time yet.
        Yup, I think you got it covered, the day my LWS stops selling 7018 is the day I hang up my hood
        hre

Comment

On this side of the world the good old stick will outlive me, and I'm planning on being around for a few years yet (I'm only 34). For general workshop use though, the Mig is far more popular. Probably due to the higher deposition rate and the fact that when set up correctly almost anyone can pull the trigger and get away with it.

Comment

stick forever. We put new dogs on the undercarriage of a john deere dover (d6) size. They were the main brackets that hold the blade. About 4" blokcks. Anyhow, directions in the package said :

step 1. DO NOT MIG WELD. Pre-heat and use 7018

jas-b

Comment

thanks for all the help guys im going too put some real time into getting better at stick . could someone post a pic of a very good stick weld ?

Comment

I hate underpowered (low amp) machines. For my home hobby use
                a 91 350 Synchrowave and a 02 Millermatic 251 w/30A Spoolmatic.
                When I weld I tend to always be on the hot side. As posted above those 120 volt machines as I have seen many of those cold bird crap welds later filled with bondo and paint. Over many years I have welded but I still do not consider myself a welder compared with the talent on this forum.

Comment

im not a bad welder but im not the best lol im good at mig and tig but for some reason i want too get better at stick people at work say im crazy but i think stick been around for so long for some good reason and i like too better myself if i can lol .

Comment

Originally posted by bigtat79 View Post
                    could someone post a pic of a very good stick weld ?
                    Don’t know if it qualifies as a “very good stick weld”, but it’s better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Made with a 20 + year old welder
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have a brand new 12 RC that has welded about 10 mins and has never been used since. That 12 RC is 2 years old and looks brand new just out of the box.
                      I know just what you mean, those things are worthless. Just because I'm a nice guy, I'll take that one off your hands for $500 USD. I can PayPal tonight
                      Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
                      HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
                      Clarke Hotshot

Comment

Sorry, don't have a good close up, might have to just do some welds for pictures this christmas break. Here's a shot of 7018 vertical up, 100% pen., on 1" AR300. I don't take as many pictures as I should and am kicking myself now
                        Attached Files
                        hre

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post
                          Don’t know if it qualifies as a “very good stick weld”, but it’s better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Made with a 20 + year old welder
                          hi, MERRY CHRISTMAS !! Hey Pile Buck, I really like your rod holder! That would even work for a wine rack.

Comment

thats some great pics guys . i didnt think i would learn too weld tig as fast as i did now i tig left and right handed so if i put fourth the same effort into stick i know it will come in time . thanks for all the great help .

Comment

Hey Pile Buck.....that Goldstar pic you posted looks just about like my Airco. Does it go up to 465 amp??

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                              Miller WC-115-A
                              Miller Spectrum 300
                              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                                Hey Pile Buck.....that Goldstar pic you posted looks just about like my Airco. Does it go up to 465 amp??
                                Well the dial says it will, but I’ve never had a reason to. The hardest I’ve ever pushed it was running 5/32-inch 7018 when I built my bridge crane. Back in my welding hay day I had a Miller Trailblazer 55-D. Now I would push that puppy hard ! For about 5-years I worked tie-backs, lots of on site beam fab. Seems as we were always welding 3/4-inch plate to the flanges of the beams. When coming to end of the plate, if I didn’t change the angle of the gun real quick I would blow out the 3/4-inch plate.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X