stick weld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stick weld

does anyone think stick is outdated or will be in our lifetime ?

Originally posted by bigtat79 View Post
    does anyone think stick is outdated
    Nope!

or will be in our lifetime
    Not in mine, maybe in yours, depends how old you are

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post
      Nope!

Not in mine, maybe in yours, depends how old you are
      lol im 27 . i ask because someone stole my mig and stick weldor and someone i know has a bobcat 225 forsale for one grand and i asked why they wanted too sell it and he said because stick is out of date i think he just cant stick weld very good lol .

Comment

In my personal opinion, all these little mig machine are the worst thing that ever happened to the welding industry. It won’t be long until it’s all over the news about trailers and hitches falling apart on the highways, and byways. In the 2-years I’ve been on these boards, I can’t believe how many people are under the illusion they can build things like this with 120-volt mig machine.
        Seems as most don’t want to put in the time and effort to go to school, just go to Home Depot, buy a little machine and start welding.

Trust me, it’s going to bite us in the azz, sooner or later!

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post
          In my personal opinion, all these little mig machine are the worst thing that ever happened to the welding industry. It won’t be long until it’s all over the news about trailers and hitches falling apart on the highways, and byways. In the 2-years I’ve been on these boards, I can’t believe how many people are under the illusion they can build things like this with 120-volt mig machine.
          Seems as most don’t want to put in the time and effort to go to school, just go to Home Depot, buy a little machine and start welding.

Trust me, it’s going to bite us in the azz, sooner or later!
          i want too get away from the mig and get better at stick i liked mig alot but what i been doing truely calls for stick

Comment

Nope, stick welding will not be rendered obsolete in the lifetime of anyone posting on this board.

Comment

Oh don’t get me wrong on the subject of mig . I can’t tell you how many 1-inch structural bend tests I’ve taken and passed in all positions with mig, but they weren’t of the 120-volt type . I like mig for general fab, but when it comes to massive amounts of just pouring the coals to a weldment, I’ll take dual shield over mig any day of the week!

Comment

I've seen cobbled together stuff done with little stick buzz boxes, like a trailer tongue I had to beef up a couple of weeks ago.
                AutoArc 230 (MM 210)
                3035 spoolgun
                Spectrum 625
                Dialarc HF w/Coolmate 4

Comment

Originally posted by bob_e95482 View Post
                  I've seen cobbled together stuff done with little stick buzz boxes, like a trailer tongue I had to beef up a couple of weeks ago.
                  Welp, that just proves there are hacks using all processes

Comment

Stick will always have it's place. I stick weld all bucket edges and corners as well as the adapters/shanks. I use Outershield 71M on almost all mild steel as long as it's not rusty or paint covered. The Outershield seems to put too much heat at once in or something when doing edges and shanks. The welds become brittle. They don't always break, but I see plenty of them break and the ones done with 7018 stick always seem to hold up. Stick is slow but effective. On mild steel I have never had a problem with the Outershield. Anything smaller than 3/8" i generally use er70-s6 .035" in a Millermatic 250. Stick is great though, what else can you burn through thick paint with and still have a sound, full penetration weld? Dave

Comment

can someone tell me the range of mildsteel that the bobcat 225 will stick weld ?

Comment

bobcat225

it will weld as thick as you want it just depends on how many passes you want to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked one
                          it will weld as thick as you want it just depends on how many passes you want to make.
                          how thin ?

Comment

I use to wonder the same but stick I think will be around forever. I'm 27 and I think it will be here for my life time. I am useing a Mig right now doing some railing for stairs and well it leaves really pretty welds I don't think it's worth a sh*t. I'm just doing what the boss ask but some of these welds I just don't think there worth a darn I mean my welding looks great but mugisn't very strong stick would be better but mig is the money maker.

Chris

Comment

stick welding

Its different here in Alberta. We stick weld almost everything that is outside
                              guys do mig weld outside but not a alot. Here mig welding is for guys starting out. sure there is mig roots on pipe but thats in a shop where you have more
                              control over things like wind and temps. Guys who would use mig would
                              be guys that do art, light gauge metal or body work. I find that you guys in the US weld mig away more then we do here in Canada. Thats not bad dont get me wrong infact I have a brand new 12 RC that has welded about 10 mins and has never been used since. That 12 RC is 2 years old and looks
                              brand new just out of the box. I never get calls for mig welding and nether
                              do my buddies that weld. I think cause the codes here in Alberta are high
                              guys dont take a chance with lack of pen or the fact that it welds so cold
                              guys just stick weld more. There is wire feed going on but more on the
                              flux core, metal core side of things, I dont here of that stuff done outside
                              ether. I think they made mig welding for guys that wanted to learn how to
                              weld as a do-it-yourself kind of welder. Hope I didnt p*ss anyone
                              off with this post its just what I think sorry. As far as stick welding I think it will be
                              here for as long as we are all here, rods will change and of course the welders them self
                              will but stick will be here for a long time yet.
                              DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                              PIPEPRO 304
                              TO MANY TOOLS
                              JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                              rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
                              and easily upset
                              go flames go

Comment

Working...
                              X