Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncro 180 vs 250 DX

Sorry for the crosspost with Hobart, but I wanted more opinions:

Ok, so there are a couple of used sycro's coming up for auction next week I was looking at. Both are watercooled, one is a 180SD and one a 250DX (runner). I am looking for a unit to fill in my automotive needs (IC piping, exhaust pipe, brackets etc) in SS and aluminium. Both are used, so the 250DX will probably end up going for about $1000 more than the 180, if not $1500.

Question is: Given a shot at both, would you opt up to the bigger 250DX for the extra $$$? My present needs are mostly 1/4" and thinner aluminium, but then I ended up with a MM 210 to build some stuff made of 3/16" box tube! I'd rather buy once than sell and upgrade later on. What I'd really like is a used 200A inverter (TA185 TSW, Invertec 205 or HTP units), but everyone seems intent on keeping theirs! The 250DX is a pretty hungry machine in terms of input power, but hey, I can't see myself ever outgrowing it...

Buy the biggest blue hunk of copper you can? Wait for an inverter? Go with the 180SD and use the rest to buy a nice bandsaw? What would YOU do?

I think you might be pushing it trying to get 1/4" AL out of a 180SD. Miller rates the sync 200 for that, but the duty cycle at 200A is only 20%. With the 250dx, you're nearly at 100% duty cycle for that output.

You made your own decision in your post though - spend it once and get the right machine the first time. I'm very happy with my 250dx. I wish it was a little smaller, but the performance of the machine is great.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

i gotta agree if you have the $$ and the power to feed it the syncro 250 is the way to go. on 1/4" you will realy be working the syncro180 and will most likely not get as good of a weld if you do get it, and pre-heat will be a must, wile the 250 will just eat it up. you can always turn them down but once you hit the top thats it..
      it would be better to get the 250 and keep saving for the band saw. you will never out grow the syn250 in an auto setting and unless you back over it with the towe truck, never break it. they last for ever. better to get the bigger and wait a bit on the saw, rather than wish you had more power one day. no point in being able to cut it if you cant weld it. get the saw later, get the sync.250 now.
      FWIW: i have found when on a budget its best to get one tool at a time. trying to save up fore several at the same time ends up making you settle for less on them all to get quantity insted of quality. buy on good one at a time.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

Doesn't sound like anyone recommends the 180. I have the 250 DX and I wanted to add that when you spend the extra $1000 it may seem like a lot today, but you won't need another TIG machine EVER and when you amortize that $1000 over what you consider the machines or your own useful life, you will find that it amounts to pennies a day especially if its your business. The fact that the 250 DX is a production machine means there are plenty around, but the demand is still high. Expect to pay around $2500 for the whole 9 yards.

Comment

Pretty much what I'm thinking. Even though I'm a hobby guy, I'm sure I could find some way of maxing out the 180 but I have my doubts about the 250...now to try and find some suckers to help me move the **** thing if I end up buying it...

Comment

nothing wrong with the 180 but if you want to be doing 1/4" its beter to spend a litle extra now, rather than fussing with trying to get every drop out of the 180.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

Believe it or not you can hunt rabbits with a 30-06. Same holds true for welders to a point. Soon as boss bought the 175 they brought me 1/2 in AL truck bracket to weld.

Comment

Believe it or not you can hunt rabbits with a 30-06. Same holds true for welders to a point
                true but you cant hunt bear with a BB gun, i dont think i would want to try 1/2" with a 175.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                JAMES

Comment

Yah, auction tomorrow so we'll see what happens - this was so much simpler when I was shopping for my MM210! I really had my heart set on an inverter unit, since I already have dedicated 30A welder circuit run to my work area. But the price for a Dynasty/Invertig/Invertec and now even the dang Thermal 185 is just too high (no matter how nice the arc on AC), even considering the cost of running some bigger service.

I think if it falls through on the 250DX I'll just be leaning on my LWS to match the internet price on a new PT 225. Should still be enough for a beginner to learn on, and maybe save a bit for the fume extraction thing I'll need to build (MIG runs in the shed shop, but TIG will be in the basement area). Reminds me, I don't really have a plan for getting the 400# Syncro down the stairs, and I don't think it exactly comes apart...

Comment

well if you cant get the syncro250 the TA-185 can still be had for under $2000 ready to weld. its no syncro250 by any means and 1/4 is pushing it but its a nice lil inverter just the same. just needs a lil atention to the work clamp and its good to go.
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                      well if you cant get the syncro250 the TA-185 can still be had for under $2000 ready to weld. its no syncro250 by any means and 1/4 is pushing it but its a nice lil inverter just the same. just needs a lil atention to the work clamp and its good to go.
                      Point me to where I can find a TA185 for < $2000!

Comment

http://www.asedeals.com/firepower_tig.html
                        http://www.toolsforless.com/product/8280.html
                        a guy on the other site just got his today from toolforless and its the new modle so the site just has not updated to the new info.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        JAMES

Comment

if you go with the TA-185 be shore to read my post about the work clamp being loose and how to fix it.
                          thanks for the help
                          ......or..........
                          hope i helped
                          sigpic
                          JAMES

Comment

Here's proof.

http://www.weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=7839
                            Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
                            Millermatic Challenger 172
                            VictorO/A
                            Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
                            Esab PCM-875
                            Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

Right on with th BB gun. I temped out the 175 twice to see how much it would take. The 3/32 tung just melted away, the 1/8 was just right for the high end, but alas in the end the 1/2 AL won, so used spoolgun.

Comment

Working...
                              X