Lanthanated Tungsten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lanthanated Tungsten

Just curious... what's the difference between 1.5% Lanthanated (Gold) and 2% Lanthanated (Blue)

If you use Lanthanated, which do you prefer and why?
    Carmen Electrode (Arc-Zone.com)
    CarmenElectrode.com

powered by... Arc-Zone.com (R) Inc.

Originally posted by CarmenElectrode View Post
    Just curious... what's the difference between 1.5% Lanthanated (Gold) and 2% Lanthanated (Blue)

If you use Lanthanated, which do you prefer and why?
    <smart a$$ on> A tungsten supplier/distributor doesn't know the difference in 1.5% and 2% Lanthanated product? Well, I am just guessing here but maybe......................a half a percent. <smart a$$ off>
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

I was told on an earlier post that blue is for heavier aluminum and steel, gold is for thinner.
      I went to buy some and my supplier doesnt stock it so I need to order it.

Comment

The higher percentage gives you a bit more current capacity. So, for 150A-200A, I like using a 2% lanth. 3/32 tungsten.

Comment

I will take a shot at this, seems to me I read somewhere that the rare earth is distributed evenly in the tungsten (hopefully) and during an arc condition travels to the arc. As the lathium is consumed the amount available is reduced and can in theory be depleted to the point where the tungsten would act as a pure tungsten. Of course in practice that would mean that lanthium in the tungsten would need to last (arc on) and have enough to be effective until the tungsten is consumed and have some extra to be safe. So if I remembered all that correctly it would mean that since there is more lanthium in 2% than there is in 1.5%, it seems to me that the 2% would function correctly longer. I have used 1.5% & 2% lanthanated and cannot tell the difference (I use only 2% as it is easier to keep only one type) and because I tend to dip more often than I should I don't think I would ever keep one going long enough to deplete either the 1.5% or the 2%. Anyway that is what I remember, if I am wrong I welcome all corrections.
          Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
          Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
          Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
          Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

i also use the 2%, i did not see a hole lot of diferance in the arc starts but the 1.5 is said to start a little easyer but the 2% defenetly holds up to the heat better. i can run a bead with the 2% and the tung looks like i never started the arc, wile the 1.5 tends to ball at the tip a bit. the 2% stayed a nice sharp point with a small flat on it even after a good 3"'s of 150A AC on aluminum. it also kept its point when used on DC. all in all i realy liked it on both aC and DC better than any of the others i tride, the cerated came in a close 2nd but it balled up fast, both lanthanated and cerated worked really well on DC, cerated has a tendency to spLit on AC, and has a shorter oxidation life than the lanthanated, so i figured it was best to stick with the 2% lanthanated as it worked out realy well on every thing meaning i can stock just 1 type and have every thing coverd.
            i'm using it on a TA-185

the 1.5% lanthanated didnt become a big ball it just kinda balled the verry tip where i had made the flat for AC. it still welded nice though.
            Attached Files
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

Its been my understanding that the 1.5 is best for low amps and the 2 for higher amps. Right now I just have 1.5 1/16" tung. becouse so far my work is all on thin material. I plan to get so 2% in the 3/32" at some point. I have not tryed it yet though.
              I have managed to run the 1.5 % out of juice so to speak. It started acting very strange and the tip looked good, I resharpened and every thing straightened out. Most generally I end up dipping it though.
              To all who contribute to this board.
              My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
              Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
              Miller Syncrowave 250
              Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
                <smart a$$ on> A tungsten supplier/distributor doesn't know the difference in 1.5% and 2% Lanthanated product? Well, I am just guessing here but maybe......................a half a percent. <smart a$$ off>
                thanks for the math lesson... I guess you know now that I am blond...
                actually everyone else answered my question pretty well. Thanks guys. I ask because I see everyone talking about using "2% Ceriated or Lanthanated " and I assumed it was 2% Lanthanated...

well now Weldcraft (a member of the ITW family same as Miller) is selling tungsten, but it seems they are only selling 1.5% Lanthanated (gold) ... and of course 2% Ceriated, pure, thoriated... and their new "Rare Earth" (gray) which apparently has been run through the Miller test lab and performs really well... and all this got me to wondering if there really is a need for both 1.5% Lanthanated AND 2% Lanthanated?

anyway, thanks for your comments. I learn a lot from you all, and am very appreciative.
                CarmenElectrode.com

powered by... Arc-Zone.com (R) Inc.

Comment

FWIW if you sharpen the 2% to a sharper point it also works well in low amps. i also have some in 1/16" and it works realy well also.
                  most all of the try mixes get good reviews but tend to be a bit higher priced.
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]com
                  summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                  JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by CarmenElectrode View Post
                    thanks for the math lesson... I guess you know now that I am blond...
                    actually everyone else answered my question pretty well. Thanks guys. I ask because I see everyone talking about using "2% Ceriated or Lanthanated " and I assumed it was 2% Lanthanated...

well now Weldcraft (a member of the ITW family same as Miller) is selling tungsten, but it seems they are only selling 1.5% Lanthanated (gold) ... and of course 2% Ceriated, pure, thoriated... and their new "Rare Earth" (gray) which apparently has been run through the Miller test lab and performs really well... and all this got me to wondering if there really is a need for both 1.5% Lanthanated AND 2% Lanthanated?

anyway, thanks for your comments. I learn a lot from you all, and am very appreciative.
                    That gray is the same as, if not the same, as Diamond Grounds tri-mix I would bet. I really didn't care for it, but some swear by it.
                    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

I don't think there is any standard for gray band. I think it's refered to as Specialty Mix or something to that effect. ( At least in the Miller Tig Handbook. ) I guess that means whatever the tugsten producer cooks up draws from the die is what you get.
                      Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
                      Millermatic Challenger 172
                      VictorO/A
                      Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
                      Esab PCM-875
                      Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

yep the home brew or try mix they whip up get the grey although in europe its standerd for 2% cerated. just incase you happen to be there on vacation and need a stick or too.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        JAMES

Comment

Some shops have gone to rare earth because of the radiation given off while sharpening is supposed to be lesss than the others Ive used both and they seem to be all pretty close
                          smokin ana grinnin for 20 years
                          Owner MARKS MOBILE WELDING
                          trailblazer 302
                          hobart suitcase mig
                          miller 30a al spool gun
                          laramy plastic welder
                          brocco cutter
                          pipe beveler
                          all walter hand tools

Comment

diamond ground has a realy good book on tungsten, might be werth dropping them a e-mail to send you one out, it breaks down all the tungstens and what they were designed for as well as ther good and bad traits.
                            cerated was the first non-radioactive alternative to thoriated
                            cerated was designed for DC only and as it has the highest migration rate of oxides. this limits its life span but in low amps it should outlast thoriated
                            lots of info in there book.
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            JAMES

Comment

RE the Weldcraft "Rare Earth" tungsten... I don't know anyone who has switched yet. I'd be interested to hear any reports on performance from out in the field, and not just the Miller test lab...

Yes, I think it is similar to the Diamond Ground Tri-Mix, or Multi-Strike from Europe and what we sell as ArcTime... in that the G classification is in fact not standardized, and the manufacturers don't divulge exactly what's in it as it is a "trade secret" like McDonald's special sauce :-)
                              CarmenElectrode.com