X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J hall
    replied
    Ray,
    According to my chart, a 50" run of 10ga copper should handle 45 amps 240volt with 2% voltage drop.

The information I have says that a branch circuit to an individual motor should be selected on the basis of carrying.125% of the full load current of the motor.

The generic chart that I have shows that a 5hp single phase 240v motor should have a full load amperage of 28 amps, so you would size your wire for 35 amps

Leave a comment:

• x-ray
    replied
    Well, some black electrical tape on the white wire will identify it to any would be electrician the wire is hot. Now I dont see the deal with the 12/2 -12/3 wire as you only have two hots ?

FWIW, my compressor is only 16amps running and it will be going on a 10/2 dedicated circuit.

Anybody off hand know if say a 50' run for my compressor will have to much voltage drop on start up or running for the 10ga wire? TIA.

Leave a comment:

• neophyte
    started a topic Shop Electrical

Shop Electrical

Hey guys,
    I was wondering if anyone out there had a copy of the NEC. I have an inspector telling me I can't run a 20 amp 240 air compressor circuit on 12-2 and reidentify the white as black. He stated that I needed to run 12-3. If my internet search on the Pass & Seymour web was correct, NEC Sec 200-7 covers this but they do not go into enough detail on the website regarding this issue.

I know the inspector is always right!!........ but in this case I am pretty sure that he is wrong and him being wrong means more money out the door on a roll of 12-3.

Wiring in the new shop and garage is complete. I ran 6-3 for the welder and 8-3 for the RV hookup. Have a total of 58 electrical openings for 960 sqr ft. Should be able to find an outlet or a light at most every turn. I plan on throwing in a mess of insulation tomorrow.

Your help is appreciated...
Working...
X