Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pile Buck
    replied
    Just a few months ago I had to wire my daughter’s well house. I wasn’t totally convinced I had done every little detail to code. I knew there were a couple licensed electricians working on my daughter house about 150-feet away. I asked if one of them would walk down and give the well house the once over. The electrician explained to me how the NEC was written. The inspector has the authority to over ride the code, no matter what! His word is law. I thought this was very strange , but the electrician said it was a fact of life in the electrical world.
    If the inspector says to change it, save your self some headaches and do it his way!

Leave a comment:

• J hall
    replied
    Ray,
    According to my chart, a 50" run of 10ga copper should handle 45 amps 240volt with 2% voltage drop.

The information I have says that a branch circuit to an individual motor should be selected on the basis of carrying.125% of the full load current of the motor.

The generic chart that I have shows that a 5hp single phase 240v motor should have a full load amperage of 28 amps, so you would size your wire for 35 amps

Leave a comment:

• x-ray
    replied
    Well, some black electrical tape on the white wire will identify it to any would be electrician the wire is hot. Now I dont see the deal with the 12/2 -12/3 wire as you only have two hots ?

FWIW, my compressor is only 16amps running and it will be going on a 10/2 dedicated circuit.

Anybody off hand know if say a 50' run for my compressor will have to much voltage drop on start up or running for the 10ga wire? TIA.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X