Shop Electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drewworm View Post
    I'd double check an electrical calculator because I'm thinking a 240v compressor would require more power than can be carried safely on #12 or even #10.
    This certainly would depend on the motor size, but the rule is you need a wire with 125% of the ampacity of the run current of the motor and in most cases it could be breakered up to a point to prevent tripps. Some equipment has listed breaker sizes, owners manuals have the electrical requirements. Its one of the reasons to use 240, you can reduce the wire size. 10 will run modern 5 hp, 30A, when you get to 7 1/2 it will need 8 wire and a larger breaker. That is all assuming we have singlle circuit to a motor which would be normal in most residental or small shops. Some of these comps can run from a 12 wire, ones that have a run current of 15A and can be breakered at 30. Personally I would likely put a 10 wire in if I could but it could certainly be a legal install with less depending on the connected equipment. In my mind, say if a customer asked for a common compressor circuit in a small garage it would be a 10/30

Comment

Originally posted by drewworm View Post
      I'd double check an electrical calculator because I'm thinking a 240v compressor would require more power than can be carried safely on #12 or even #10.
      My motor is rated at 15 amps 208-230V. My run is about 60 feet of 12-3 coming off a 20 amp breaker.

My book states that I can run a 3hp-230-V motor at 17 amps up to 65 feet on #12 so long as I don't use 60C rated wire. Am I missing something here?
      Best Regard,

Miller Passport
      Miller 225G
      Red 255
      VIctor O/A
      Wish list:
      Maxstar 150STH or
      Syncrowave 250DX
      A Dynasty 300 if I am wishing really hard..

Comment

I don't see any reason to second guess it if you are looking at the book, but for the minimal extra cost to do it with correct color wire and #10 it's worth it.

Comment

Working...
        X