No announcement yet.

Dynasty Stick mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably and would never would trust it to hold anything up. I just thought it was interesting having about 3/16" penetration with 100amps dialed in on the machine.
    Joe
    [email protected]

Comment

What I mean is that if one is trying to test a t-joint for adequate pen... when you put the fillet side in the vise and wack the oppsitite side of the joint with a sledge intill the weld breaks if it is properly fused it breaks straight down the middle of the weld. If not properly fused it will break or the lack of fusion will be evidient at the toe(s) of the fillet.

Hope that helps.
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by weldone View Post
        What I mean is that if one is trying to test a t-joint for adequate pen... when you put the fillet side in the vise and wack the oppsitite side of the joint with a sledge intill the weld breaks if it is properly fused it breaks straight down the middle of the weld. If not properly fused it will break or the lack of fusion will be evidient at the toe(s) of the fillet.

Hope that helps.
        Dave
        Oh, so let me see if I understand correctly. You are saying that the actual weld should be weaker than the base metal?
        Dynasty 350DX
        Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
        MM 350P
        MM Passport Plus
        Spectrum 375 Extreme
        08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Originally posted by weldone View Post

Hope that helps.
          Dave
          This statement is incorrect. Properly fused material, the failure should occure in the material being welded and never in the weld itself.
          You are correct the most common point of failure is at the base where joined and the weld is wetted in.

Comment

Originally Posted by weldone

Hope that helps.
            Dave
            Originally posted by lramberson View Post
            This statement is incorrect. Properly fused material, the failure should occure in the material being welded and never in the weld itself.
            You are correct the most common point of failure is at the base where joined and the weld is wetted in.
            Just keepin' it fresh.
            Dynasty 350DX
            Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
            MM 350P
            MM Passport Plus
            Spectrum 375 Extreme
            08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Lets try it again
              Pg 147 chptr7 Destructive testing
              Book:Certification Manual for weld inspectors (forth Edition) A.W.S pub
              Fillet weld break test,this is a soundness test and used primarily in the qualification of welders. This is the only test required for the qualification of tackers in accordance with AWS D1.1,Structural Wlding Code-Steel.
              To preform this test a welder places a fillet weld on one side of a T-Joint.Once complete,the specimen is placed in a press and bent to produce a FRACTURE AT THE WELD OR NEAR THE WELD.
              AGAIN,THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THIS TEST IS NOT how much load is required for failure,rather the condition of the fracture internally.
              With this test,the inspector is checking the fractured weld to ENSURE THAT THE WELD HAS EVIDENCE OF FUSION TO THE ROOT AND THAT THERE ARE NO AREAS OF INCOMPLETE FUSION TO THE BASE METAL.

So kbf if you gathered that the actual weld should be WEAKER than the base metal I'm not surprised rock on dude.

Iramberson: I SPOKE ON testing a fillet weld. NOT what causes it to fail because many of things can cause a weld to fail. I spoke on how to test it for adequate pen...and what the results should be if pen has been achieved.
              And for the record. ANY KIND OF WELD TEST THAT IS DONE IS DONE TO TEST THE WELD ITSELF (N.D.T-D.T) NOT THE BASE METAL.
              Like I'VE said before its about fusion and pentration when it comes to welding and knowing the difference between the two. And I guess that comes with experience.
              keep that fresh

Comment

Was it a fillet weld? I don't think he said, but I think he was just wanting to make sure his machine was working properly.......

Comment

My initial tests where just beads on a piece of flat, then the 3/4" pieces was a butt weld just to see what DIG could do. Yeah initially I started the thread cause I didn't know enough about the dynasty and DIG to weld with it in stick mode. I think I have a decent understanding now. Thanks all.
                  Joe
                  [email protected]

Comment

Gotcha Wrench....I didn't think you were really interested in anything but getting your machine right! Have a Merry Christmas...

Mow

Comment

Working...
                    X