No announcement yet.

Retrofitting a MillerMatic 35 Mig Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That machine is setup with an adapter kit that allows the use of a Bernard style feeder connection. You can replace the gun on there with any new Bernard Q gun, so long as it is ordered with the Bernard style backend.

Rob
    More info at bernardwelds.com

Comment

BernardEngineer
      are you a new adition to the board by the company or just hanging out for fun??
      eather way good to have you abord.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
        BernardEngineer
        are you a new adition to the board by the company or just hanging out for fun??
        eather way good to have you abord.
        I'm here to answer tech questions on Bernard/Oxo products as a representative of the company. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy being here though!

Rob

Comment

cool, nothing wrong with having a job you can injoy.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by BernardEngineer View Post
            That machine is setup with an adapter kit that allows the use of a Bernard style feeder connection. You can replace the gun on there with any new Bernard Q gun, so long as it is ordered with the Bernard style backend.
            Rob,

The resident expert at my LWS saw the photos and said it was a European style connector. He came up with a slightly different part number than I got from Bernard's customer service rep. The LWS guy said the Bernard part numbers were:

Q1515AR8CE (150 amps) and Q2015AR8CE (200 amps)

Does that sound right to you?

BTW, the LWS said while Bernard was more expensive, it was top quality. I've drug my gun around the shop for a long time and it's put up with it's share of abuse.

Thanks for your help.
            Millermatic 35
            Miller TB302G
            Ellis 1800
            Smith & Victor Torches
            Optrel Satellite
            Arcair K4000
            Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
            Home Made Welding Trailer

Comment

Gary,

Unfortunately the LWS guy is incorrect. The Euro style connection looks similar, but is distinctly different. I guarantee that a Euro backended gun will not fit on that setup. It needs to be a Bernard backend. The correct gun configurations would be:

Q1515AR8CB (150 amps) and Q2015AR8CB (200 amps)

Rob

Comment

I'm thankful Bernard makes a new style gun with popular consumables that will mate to my older welder. If this gun lasts as long as the other Bernard one did, I'll be in good shape. The LWS said they would get one brought in for me.

Thanks for your help.
                Millermatic 35
                Miller TB302G
                Ellis 1800
                Smith & Victor Torches
                Optrel Satellite
                Arcair K4000
                Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
                Home Made Welding Trailer

Comment

Any time Gary.

Rob

Comment

I realize this is an old post but please bear with me here-

A friend has an older MILLERMATIC35 (Serial No. JA356154) and is in needof a GAS VALVE (MILLER PN 028-667) for the gun to be fully operable. Do you have a possible service replacement part/upgrade or even a possible replacement gun assembly? He has no desire to buy a newer model.

The local MILLER dealer says there is no replacement part or a possible upgrade gun asm.
                    I sent the above by E-Mail earlier today to BERNARD (got name from this thread via GOOGLE) and the reply was nothing available.

There has to be either a source for this valve or a updated replacement gun. This guy is married to this thing!

HELP!

Comment

Have you guys thought about foregoing the gas valve in the torch altogether and installing a gas valve from another machine into the machine cabinet? It would involve re-routing the wires for the soleniod, but I would think that should be do-able?
                      Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
                      Millermatic175
                      MillermaticPassport/Q300
                      HTP MIG200
                      PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
                      ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
                      DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                      Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                      Purox oxy/ace
                      Jackson EQC
                      -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                      -LoadNGo utility bed
                      -Bobcat 250NT
                      -PassportPlus/Q300
                      -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
                      -Suitcase8RC/Q400
                      -Suitcase12RC/Q300
                      -Smith oxy/propane
                      -Jackson EQC

Comment

i don't get the solenoid problem ? should just replace the GA20 with a M15 and get back to welding ??? what am i missing ??
                        the parts book lists the GA20 as stock with the M15 as the replacement.
                        whatever is on the MM212 should be the replacement for the MM35 yes ?? no ??? according to my parts book its that simple. although they seem to get there a little differently they even look like the same back end ?? what am i missing ??
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        JAMES

Comment

just about any gas valve would work low pressure. even a 12volt nitrous valve. air compressor solenoid valve nice if you can match the voltage or use relay and a transformer or another power source. ED

Comment

Originally posted by Desertrider33

Have you guys thought about foregoing the gas valve in the torch altogether and installing a gas valve from another machine into the machine cabinet? It would involve re-routing the wires for the soleniod, but I would think that should be do-able?
                            I am no welder by any means and he only uses the welder for automotive/sheet metal work. The valve is mechanically actuated by the trigger in this instance. You say a later valve could be installed in the cabinet that is actuated by the solenoid?

I appreciate you your help.

Gary

Comment

Ok I've never owned that torch or that machine (though I have welded with one). From what you're saying, my understanding is that if the trigger is mechanically operating the valve, then there is no solenoid anywhere in the system.

In that case, a gas valve with an electric solenoid from another machine would need to be mounted in the cabinet, with the soleniod controlled by the wire commng back from the trigger. I'm sure there are other places in the circuit to derive control signal to operate the soleniod, but the trigger is the obvious one.
                              Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
                              Millermatic175
                              MillermaticPassport/Q300
                              HTP MIG200
                              PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
                              ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
                              DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                              Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                              Purox oxy/ace
                              Jackson EQC
                              -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                              -LoadNGo utility bed
                              -Bobcat 250NT
                              -PassportPlus/Q300
                              -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
                              -Suitcase8RC/Q400
                              -Suitcase12RC/Q300
                              -Smith oxy/propane
                              -Jackson EQC

Comment

Hello everyone,

I just thought I would try to clarify a few things regarding the guns supplied with the Millermatic 35's.

The Millermatic 35's were supplied with 3 different guns over the years. The 2 early guns were very similar to each other and had a mechanical gas valve in the handle and a small power pin design as shown in the earlier pics. The replacement gun assemblies for these two were discontinued a number of years back but most parts are still readily available for them.

When installing a new style gun on these older units the installation of a gas valve and an adapter to attach the gun to the feed system is required. Over the years a number of companies have manufactured kits for this but most of those kits have been discontinued. If you are looking for a kit I would suggest checking with Bernard or Tweco.

The 3rd gun supplied with the Millermatic 35 was the GA-20C. They started using this gun in 1980 (JA448186) and any standard Miller gun such as the M-15 will work as a replacement gun.

If you have any other questions regarding these guns please feel free to contact us.

Kevin

Ph: (920)954-3499
                                Kevin Schuh
                                Service Technician
                                Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Comment

Working...
                                X