Aluminum TIG help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum TIG help.

So, I finally got the hang of doing stringer beads on a plate of .095" aluminum. Now, I'm moving on to trying butt welding two plates of .095" together. The machine is a D200DX. The settings are 100A, AC, 70% balance, 120Hz freq., 3/32 1.5% lanth (ground 30-degrees, .01" flat), 18CFH Argon.

I can start the arc and I move the torch around in a small circle to try to get the puddle on both pieces to join, but they won't seem to come together. If I step on the pedal more it just burns back the edges. Trying to feed in filler doesn't seem to help either. The material is clean. I spend a good 5 minutes on the coupons with a SS wire brush and acetone. There is no black soot or porosity in the material after trying to weld it so I know it's pretty clean. Any suggestions? Thanks!

add filler to both sides until they finally bridge the gap, after it bridges it's very easy to continue like normal.
    The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

Try a couple of seconds of higher current to get both sides molten and add a little filler to get them to join together.

Comment

Get that bad boy up to heat in a hurry, then back off. If you take to long getting the material hot enough to weld, by the time the material is hot enough to weld, the heat has disipated throughout the entire piece of aluminum and you'll not have success . In my opinion this is the major challenge to welding aluminum along with adding the filler metal too soon, and a lot of people overlook it. If you get the material to hot, you will never have really good bead color either. If the material that you are using is relatively clean you really should not have to worry to much about the whole cleaning thing (unless it has oil etc.. on it.). For example sometimes using a wire brush can cause more problems than not using it at all, especially if it is not dedicated to aluminum. Aluminum can be frustrating to learn to weld. Good luck and keep at it.
        sigpic

Comment

I agree with "lan" you gotta get the heat up quick, sometimes on thin material or with poor fit up i will lay my filler rod in the joint and using a whisper of pre-flow, i'll start my arc on the top of the filler rod so i can give it burst of heat whithout burning the edges off... however you have to be carefull, once you get the puddle, pull the filler back and add it at normal speed.

Comment

yep i had the same problem when first starting out. the 2 pices act like simmiler magnets and the 2 lil pudles just seemed to push away from each other right.
            kick up the heat and get the filler in there to join the 2 then its just a question of carying the bead on out. once its started its easy, just getting the first join is a pain, big heat lots of filler then back off and weld away.
            takes time and practice, no real short cuts here just seat time.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

Working...
            X