Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using a wire wheel on a bench grinder ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using a wire wheel on a bench grinder ?

If so, what else do I need ? I mean would these be enough ?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
    http://www.rcautoworks.com

That is exactly what I have on one of my bench grinders. I have had no problems with it and get about a years use out of each wheel.

Comment

Yes! since I have two belt/disc sanders, the only use my bench grinder gets is with a wire wheel.

Comment

I have an old washing machine motor that i threaded the shaft added a couple of 1/2" nuts and a wire wheel. Got like 10 bucks in a good wire wheel and the rest was free...Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

Wire Wheel

The most used bench grinder I use has a wire wheel and a buffing wheel. But be careful and always wear eye protection.
          Think Alot
          Learn Alot
          Read Alot
          And Then Do It Again & Again

Comment

Here's my set-up, I still need to make a swivel head as turning it around is a pain. There's a 36 grit & a 60 grit on one side, and a buffer wheel and a SS wire brush on the other.
            Attached Files
            Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
            Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
            Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
            Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Thanks for all the help. One last question, I was not able to find any 8 inch wire wheels, not local atleast. Will these still fit on an 8 inch grinder ?

Comment

One last question, I was not able to find any 8 inch wire wheels, not local atleast. Will these still fit on an 8 inch grinder

Comment

Try Menards. I bought an 8" wire wheel there. I just haven't got around to mounting it to my bench grinder yet. It has gold-colored bristles.

Burnhole
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Miller BWE Helmet

Comment

if this is your first be verry carfull it has a tendency to grab and pull in what you are using it on if you get too much grab, so always where gloves, and a full face shield at the verry minimum. i always where my lether aperin also, thouse lil wire brisels come flying out of there and will get ya. it can catch you off guard if you are not carfull. safty can not be stressed enough here about flying metal and grabed parts. so dress for it, and i dont even think i have to mention nothing lose for clothing.
                    after all that they are verry usefull.
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                    JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown View Post
                      Here's my set-up, I still need to make a swivel head as turning it around is a pain. There's a 36 grit & a 60 grit on one side, and a buffer wheel and a SS wire brush on the other.
                      You ever have an issue with the wheels becoming unbalanced ? I took my wheels of a while ago and it was never right again, the thing shook like crazy. Someone told me to look into different bushings for the disc ( inner part ) . My sears did not have any 8 inch grinding disc so I used from menards with a plastic insert. I finally ended up returning the grinder because it shook after all that and never was the same.

Comment

Sundown
                        have you considerd a round post with another inside to hold the grinder platform, drill it and use a pin to alow you to pull the pin, spin and replace the pin.
                        i supose a second plate center bolted to the top with a washer between and the grinders on top would also work, again with a pin to keep it where you want it. knda like a lazy suson for the diner table only out of 1/4" for grinders.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

Never wear gloves on any of these tools. Good way to lose your fingers.

Comment

realy, i have always worn the tight fitting gloves like the craftsmen auto gloves. ar you saying they will get caught up in the wire wheel??
                            not trying to start some thing just wondering if i have always done it wrong ??
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            JAMES

Comment

I'm not sure the proper answer on this. The tight fitting "driving" type gloves would probably be OK if you're comfortable with them, also give a little protection from sharp edges & heat.
                              My brother tried to use heavy welding gloves once, if the grinder hadn't been a cheap underpowered POS he would probably have mangled his hand! The wire wheel jerked the glove partially off his hand & wedged his finger between the guard & the wheel before it stalled. No damage (except to the glove!) But it scared the stinky stuff out of him!
                              Also, one of my former customers lost a finger in a table saw accident, because he was wearing leather "work" gloves.
                              Syncrowave 180 SD
                              MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
                              1971 Roughneck 1e
                              Stars-n-Stripes BWE
                              Optrel Satellite OSE
                              ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
                              Lincoln 200SA Diesel
                              O/A Set
                              Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
                              1.5 kVA Spot Welder
                              Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974