No announcement yet.

Looking at a new bandsaw, step on inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If any of you guys are close to Alabama, here's an Ellis that just came up on ebay. Looks like maybe a 3000. Starting bid is $100.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELLIS-METAL-CUTT...QQcmdZViewItem
    Millermatic 35
    Miller TB302G
    Ellis 1800
    Smith & Victor Torches
    Optrel Satellite
    Arcair K4000
    Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
    Home Made Welding Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by garybdavis View Post
      If any of you guys are close to Alabama, here's an Ellis that just came up on ebay. Looks like maybe a 3000. Starting bid is $100.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELLIS-METAL-CUTT...QQcmdZViewItem
      I'd wait a bit on that auction until the seller comes up with more information. Looks as if someone has already asked for the model number, so it shouldn't take too long. As it stands from the auction listing, the saw is not a 3000 model due to the capacities being so low. The 12" flat @ 90 degrees is a full 7" short of the 3000's actual capacity. The saw is not a variable speed either like a 3000. Still, I doubt the seller got the 6hp Leeson motor correct. The other numbers could be just as far off.
      Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
      Miller DialArc 250
      Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
      Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
      Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
      Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
      South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
      Logan 7" shaper
      Ellis 3000 band saw
      Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
      Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
      3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
      Lots of dust bunnies
      Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

I can't recall where I read it from, but someone said the ellis is not ideal for stainless because it has no coolant option.
        http://www.rcautoworks.com

Comment

For what its worth, someone told me that he infact sells ellis bandsaws and he has had a number of customers coming back with issues.

"ellis is just one of those saws that built a following why I have no idea. I honestly hear more people complain about them then I hear people have anything good to say. Ellis maybe popular because it really is one of the only saws you can get a mitering head on in that price range. And I should know I selling machining equipment all day long and I sell a lot of the big names including ellis!"

I remarked, it could be user error, he comments

"It could be operator error but most customers I have have more then one saw in there shops. One customer I can think of off the top of my head has 2 other saws in the shop an has no problems with either of his others but will do most anything to not have to cut on the ellis. Was in last week looking to replace it. "

Just an FYI, because I know people will search and find this topic on here.

Comment

Originally posted by 90blackcrx View Post
            For what its worth, someone told me that he infact sells ellis bandsaws and he has had a number of customers coming back with issues.

"ellis is just one of those saws that built a following why I have no idea. I honestly hear more people complain about them then I hear people have anything good to say. Ellis maybe popular because it really is one of the only saws you can get a mitering head on in that price range. And I should know I selling machining equipment all day long and I sell a lot of the big names including ellis!"

I remarked, it could be user error, he comments

"It could be operator error but most customers I have have more then one saw in there shops. One customer I can think of off the top of my head has 2 other saws in the shop an has no problems with either of his others but will do most anything to not have to cut on the ellis. Was in last week looking to replace it. "

Just an FYI, because I know people will search and find this topic on here.
            I would think that has to be pure horse$hit. For one, did you not ask him what his customers' issues were? If I were looking seriously at a saw and a dealer said that there were issues with a particular manufacturers machine I would want to know what they were. Second, if the Ellis saws had so many problems, they would not be on a 2 month backlog on getting them delivered, just ask Joe. Third, do a search on any of the welding/metalworking forums and pull up some posts where folks are having problems with anything other than the cost of an Ellis.

I am not tyring to piss you off here but when you come and post that an Ellis dealer is badmouthing their saws and don't provide any specifics it really is hard to take you seriously.
            Dynasty 350DX
            Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
            MM 350P
            MM Passport Plus
            Spectrum 375 Extreme
            08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Originally posted by 90blackcrx
              I can't recall where I read it from, but someone said the ellis is not ideal for stainless because it has no coolant option.
              Wrong again.

Originally posted by BigDTig
              Stainless and copper are pretty much all I do.

I cut Stainless dry on the saw's slow speed and blades last a good long time.

With copper, I add some simple paste wax to the cut because otherwise copper "clogs" in the cut.
              A bunch of talented people have been trying to help you with purchasing a saw that will be a smart use of your money. If you don't want an Ellis then go get a cheap import saw and be done with it. You don't have to justify it by saying that somehow the Ellis has some sort of nebulous problems.
              Dynasty 350DX
              Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
              MM 350P
              MM Passport Plus
              Spectrum 375 Extreme
              08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Now Kevin....the kid did start out by saying "For what its worth..." I'm sure most can clearly see exactly what its worth.
                Miller DialArc 250
                Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
                Logan 7" shaper
                Ellis 3000 band saw
                Lots of dust bunnies
                Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

Someone will always find fault, He said she said but really never the facts.
                  First; In a welding application the Ellis is the Cats MEOW, due to the coolant issue.
                  Second; The accuracy is exceptional. First hand experiance.
                  Third; If you are looking for something to make raw production cuts and are looking to go cheap, go there. I do one cut fit and finish & swear by this unit.
                  Fourth; Factory support has been there, on any of my issues which were a alignment that was more user than machine.
                  My only complaint is the paint is like my truck and with the EPA it is probably the best available today short of powder coat. It chips and is not all that durable, my one real complaint.

You have got to live with your decision, Go for your first choice of the Craftsman, they have a strong following and alot of support. Good luck.

Comment

Yeah thats why I said for what its worth, I did not take it seriously but it was something to consider. And I'm still not bad mouthing ellis, if I was in that price range and have a big enough area to put it, I would pick up an ellis.

It was just, for what its worth post.

Comment

If you're still haggling over the little imports if you look reeeaaaaallll close at the craftsman, grizzly, enco, dake, the list could go on forever. all they do is change the color of the paint, maybe put on two or four wheels on the cabinet, change the angle of the drop cylinder (either vertical or kinda 45'd), gear box or belt drive, or better electrics on the dake. If you can't lay out the cash for a good piece of equipment right now get a cheaper one and REMEMBER that it will not last forever. It wont be around like the '54 Doall I just picked up but it will make you money for now. I haggled over the same thing a couple years ago. The saw I have looks like all the others but I think it came from j&l by detroit under the name "metal max" and cost like 600.00 for a 7 * 12. I have cut thousands yes, thousands of parts with mine. I have gotten really sick of sitting on a 5 gal. bucket and feeding stock. It HAS made me money but when the cheap chinese motor burns up, or the gearbox strips out, or ???? I'm not going to get bent about it and I'll probably but another cheapie because I can't afford a fully automatic.

Comment

Ellis saws

I know i'm a little late getting here, but i have to agree with "KB Fab", i bought an Ellis 1600 2 years ago, and now i can't understand how the heck i ever got along without it! absolutly the best saw i've had the pleasure to use. Also, if you have any questions due to operations just call them... the first time i changed the blade i wasn't sure i did it right, so i called, the guy on the phone walked me through the whole thing.

As a side note... now my stock dosen't swing out in to the shop when i mitre cut. And on heavy tube that is important.

Just my opinion...

Comment

The Ellis site also includes video clip of several differnet operation. Blade changing is among the topics. I'm very glad that Jack "Storts" talked me into buying my used 3000.
                          Miller DialArc 250
                          Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
                          Logan 7" shaper
                          Ellis 3000 band saw
                          Lots of dust bunnies