Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAC702
    replied
    Let them know your warranty is already clicking away and you should make sure the unit works properly before it's officially yours.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    the fan will not efect the weld at all just get the smoke out of your face. i also took off the tip cone and cut it way back on one for flux core, as it dose not need to keep the gas on the weld it dose not need to be in your way so you can just take it off but then you could get crud into the gas holes so i just cut it back to get it out of the way and still have it there to keep the gas holes coverd as most of the time i use gas i dont want that seldome used flux to plug up the holes. that just leaves the tip way out there all alown where the fan can wisk away the smoke .

Leave a comment:

• kiwi
    replied
    Thanks

The fan sounds like a great idea. Sometimes when I am welding with flux core I am "running Blind"!! Do the welds look OK?
    Thanks,
    Nick

Leave a comment:

• Sundown
    replied
    Yep, a fan works good. I have a small personal battery powered fan with a magnetic base that I use if the wind is not blowing enough.

Leave a comment:

• Pile Buck
    replied
    I’ve run tons of flux core, can’t say I’ve ever run .035 tho. Mostly 5/64th. Try to get in the habit of looking up at the weld, so your head is just below the weld when you can. Or off to one side. Remember flux core was designed to run outside. I’ve run it in a trench welding precast concrete panels outside on docks, and still needed the fan trick to blow the smoke out of the way. Don’t listen to these guys, any little girl can weld with mig , now flux core that’s what high rises, and bridges are built with . For 6-weeks straight, 12-hours a day, 7-days a week I ran 5/64 Hobart 21-B in Alaska, couple days in 90-MPH wind, never had a problem with flux core in the wind, excess amount of water yes, wind nope.

Leave a comment:

• harcosparky
    replied
    Originally posted by KIWI View Post
    Hey Guys,
    What I neglected to tell you is that the girls and my wife got it as a Christmas present so the only thing that I have done with it is look at it and wax it (kinda sucks).
    heheheh ... oh my THAT does suck

What ya need to do is make a non-working mock-up - put it in place of the real MM210 and run off and use the real one!

As to the weld puddle and flux core , I found it hard to see and depended a tad on 'knowing' where the joint was. I posted the first two welds I made with flux core on here and they were pretty good I was told. Never mentioned I was partially flying blind.

QUESTION - could ya run a little air in the gas line to help blow away the smoke, or will that adversely affect the weld ????

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    your LWS guys have it right the MM210 is going to produce much nicer welds then you can hope for with the flux.
    flux inside is a real pain, its smoke gets light up by the arc and it dose make it realy hard to see, try running a fan at th work.
    with one exception when i ran out of gas i only use flux outside for just that reason. i always kep some on hand for using when i need to do a lil outside fix up, but inside its strictly C-25 and solid core.
    you need to talk to thouse girls about sharing, dont they teach that in kindergarden still. although if they are stingy with sharing you might not want to try out the MM210, that way you wont know what you are missing. well that or be prepaired to get another one.

Leave a comment:

• kiwi
    started a topic Flux Core Welds

Flux Core Welds

Hey Guys,
    I thought I would be foolish and post a few of the welds that I just did with my small Lincoln MIG using flux core .035 wire. The welds are strong, but I wanted to know if I could improve them. The guys at my LWS said that welds done with my small MIG and flux core won't compare to my MM 210 using gas. Remember I purchased a 210 with a spool gun recently. What I neglected to tell you is that the girls and my wife got it as a Christmas present so the only thing that I have done with it is look at it and wax it (kinda sucks). Anyway let me know what you think. As an aside when you weld with flux core do you have a harder time seeing the weld puddle due to the large amount of smoke produced? I make mistakes when I loose sight of the puddle because of the smoke.
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Attached Files
Working...
X