No announcement yet.

Replacing Lost Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember the first time I did this. I was working in an Exxon refinery on a shut down. Got really close to going back on line, but the pipe fitting outfit didn’t have enough men to turn all the blinds. So everybody was asked to work as many hours as they could take, to get the refinery back on line. I was a 1st or 2nd year apprentice; I had to ask my journeymen what a blind was. He said lets do it, easiest money you’ll even make . They took us up on about the 15th floor and pointed at a 96-inch line, said get-r-done. The blind was at least 2-inches think, and must have had 2-inch bolts in it. We were freezing up 2 1/2-inch drive air impacts right n left. We had three of them, but when all three were frozen, we would take a rose bud to heat them to keep going.

Comment

Small case of high jacking....

On the lighter side....

My "other half" has the habit upon making a purchase, the receipt, debit card, license etc is plopped in the bag along with the purchase. "It's convenent she says, I'll get it later". Later, and admiring the new trinket the bag gets plopped in the bin. It's usually a day or three before the discovery is made. You ever dig thru a 3 yard dumpster looking for the "bag".. ...(you know it was my fault, didn't remind her ) The guy at the bank can now replace the card on the mention of the name alone.
      Frank
      (aka Fred)
      MM200 (antique and still cook'n)
      Lincoln 160 buzzzzzz box - left to live with a nice youngster
      Dynasty 300DX
      Spectrum 625
      Chevalier Knee Mill - Bridgeport clone you idiot.
      Homebuilt tube bender - with home made dies no less
      Delta Drill Press & Grinder collection

Needed - a bigger shop to use the stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
        Another bad habit is using truck bumpers to sit tools.
        I wonder if any one has invented the magnetic bumper yet ?
        To all who contribute to this board.
        My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
        Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
        Miller Syncrowave 250
        Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post
          I have done this 2 or 3 times in my life! What amazes me is your bone azz tired, but when you get into bed, you can’t go to sleep. That adrenalin can work against you at times.
          That's weird isn't it. I remember it took around an hour and a half before I could get to sleep, then I slept for 15hours straight.

Originally posted by admweld View Post
          With over 2000 post at this forum i,m suprised you would stay off your computer that long.
          Hey, I resemble that comment. If you were in year 6 of formal edumcating you too would need places to visit to get your mind off things Hmmm, I wonder if I can get satelite access = onsite computer access. I wouldn't get any work done

Originally posted by burninbriar View Post
          I wonder if any one has invented the magnetic bumper yet ?
          I wonder if our steel toed and plated boots would stick to a magnetic bumper
          hre

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post
            I remember the first time I did this. I was working in an Exxon refinery on a shut down. Got really close to going back on line, but the pipe fitting outfit didn’t have enough men to turn all the blinds. So everybody was asked to work as many hours as they could take, to get the refinery back on line. I was a 1st or 2nd year apprentice; I had to ask my journeymen what a blind was. He said lets do it, easiest money you’ll even make . They took us up on about the 15th floor and pointed at a 96-inch line, said get-r-done. The blind was at least 2-inches think, and must have had 2-inch bolts in it. We were freezing up 2 1/2-inch drive air impacts right n left. We had three of them, but when all three were frozen, we would take a rose bud to heat them to keep going.
            Just what is turning a blind? Sounds like you were putting int flange connections of some sort?
            hre

Comment

just add some servoes that close the tail gate when the truck starts, that way it will dump the tools into the bed as you start to drive off.
              ofcorse not leaving them there would be best, but S--- happens.
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
              JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
                Just what is turning a blind? Sounds like you were putting int flange connections of some sort?
                I keep forgetting your just a youngster!

Look at the picture in the lower right corner, now imagine 96-inch. Two men, three impacts.

http://www.swecofab.com/spectacle-line-blinds.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck
                  I keep forgetting your just a youngster!

Look at the picture in the lower right corner, now imagine 96-inch. Two men, three impacts.

http://www.swecofab.com/spectacle-line-blinds.htm
                  You bet I am, compared to you at least So, what does a blind do? I'm having a hard time picturing how this thing is installed and what's its purpose it
                  hre

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke
                    I'm having a hard time picturing how this thing is installed and what's its purpose it
                    Stops the flow of product. But the pipe is fabricated where the blind has to be installed open or shut. Not sure, but I think they’re a sure fire back up to a valve.

Comment

Ahh, I see, so its like a semi-permanent bolt in valve, either open or closed off. I imagine you were working on something more like this http://www.eckstromind.com/images/la...lind%20cut.jpg
                      hre

Comment

that was , how did you put it " easiest money you’ll even make"
                        i'm thinking a bit of sarcasem was comming out of the boss at that moment.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

Maybe twice that size!

Well we were told 4 to 6-inch, 1/2-inch combination wrenches at best.

Comment

Yea, I bet some people just hate it when they leave their small hand tote tool box sitting on the wide rear bumper of their company truck. At least one guy I know of in the past.

Although the story goes back to 1975, it's still relevant.

Late one evening I was heading to back to the farm in my Blazer, rounded a corner on the gravel road and felt a tire go flat. Stopped, got out, looked at the flat tire and pulled a new medium sized Craftsman screwdriver out of the sidewall of a 2 day old tire that still had the green protecting the letters.

As the spare was on the fuel tank trailer in the field where I had left it 15miles back, I walked the last 5 to the farm. Darn, 2 flats, same day. As I walked along cussin the screwdriver and walking the road, I started to see wrench's laying in the dirt and gravel. By the time I got back to my place I had picked up a full set of end wrench's, hammer, punches, more screwdrivers, pocket full of sockets and a electric hand drill.

By now I'm almost to the driveway of the farm and the neighbor down the road stops to tell me he had seen my truck with the flat and wanted to know if he could help. I told him to drive in and I'd get another spare and he could drive me back.

Of course as fate would have it, he recognized his drill and told me, rather sheepishly that the tools were his. He had made a beer run while working on his mower. As I unloaded the spare back at the Blazer, I told him he could have them tools back when he bought me another tire. Of course I said it smiling.

I had the new tire mounted the next day and he got his tools back.

He had left the tool box on the tail gate and the drill and a few hand tools on the bumper. We found everything but the 3/8" ratchet. lol

Comment

This may well explain all the hand tools I find along the roadways while motorcycle riding.

Comment

well that turned out prety well, you got a new tire replaced and a ride back to the truck, and he got his tools back. except for the walk not too bad a deal. only needing to replace the 3/8" ratchet is probly a lot better than he would have been expecting, was he driving back looking for the tools or had he written them off already and just chanced apone you?
                                i was watching a fella on a friday afternoon driving home from a job i would suspect, he had a trailor full of yard tools with a side rack full of weed eaters, the bottom 2 of witch were hanging by the grass guards on the rack and dragging along with the motor parts on the road. now here comes the kicker. i seen him as he was leaning the trafic light, he was about 5 cars ahead. but the fella behind him must have thought it real funny cuz he didnt bother to jump out at the light and tell him and the fella dragging eather could not see them or just did not care (company tools maybe) but i tryed to catch up to him but was not willing to get a ticket to do it and he was in a big hurry to get home as i never cought him. i dont see how he could have not noticed them, they were shooting sparks all over the place and jumping around like cats on a leash. i'm suprised they didnt catch fire, must not have had any gas in them. shore would like to have seen what was left when he got home. all that because he didnt bother to put the bunjee strap on befor heading home. expensive lesson i guess.
                                thanks for the help
                                ......or..........
                                hope i helped
                                sigpic
                                JAMES

Comment

Working...
                                X