Portable welders Steel racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable welders Steel racks

Im finally to the point where I need to save money, Every time a job would come through the door which required steel would cause me to spend 1-1/2 hrs to go get it which is at least $ 30.00 including fuel, plus the fact that the average weight of steel that I would go buy would be about 150Lbs. and since your not buying quantity the local steel shop charges 30% more than when I buy quantity from the bigger warehouse.
    So I did some figures and found that I could save approx. $ 70.00 on every trip to the local steel shop if I started stocking steel.
    So I bought a sea can installed steel racks and ordered 18,565 Lbs. of all the different sizes in the book.
    This is quiet an investment that I am making but I know it will pay off in years to come.

I've tried to maintain an inventory ever since I started business. Any time I ordered steel for a job, I'd always get extra, this way I built it up slowly over time and essentially used the markup on each job to pay for the increase in inventory.

This is especially valuable when doing some little jobs, or taking care of an emergency night or weekend job, on the little jobs you can easily eat up any profit margin chasing material, on the emergency jobs you're a hero when you show up with just the right material.

At this point I've pretty much got all the inventory I need, I just go out a couple times a year and make a list, make an order just to replenish inventory. Any orders over a certain $ amount the steel company delivers, I don't even have to haul it.

Comment

I was having trouble with the pictures and accidently started another thread.
      Cal weld my problem was not enouph room for steel racks so I made one with a dedicated spot for everything so I can go in there once a month and take inventory.

Comment

Here are pictures of the rack
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice job. That looks like a tidy set-up that will serve you well.
          Dynasty 350DX
          Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
          MM 350P
          MM Passport Plus
          Spectrum 375 Extreme
          08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Looks good, will keep everything clean and dry too.

What's that, a 40' container? You need to move those racks up to the entrance, put another door behind the 20' point, you can store sheets and plates and scraps back there. Just a thought.

Comment

nice storage

Thats a nice setup there portable,that should work out great good luck
              BB402D
              TB300D
              DIMENSION652
              MM250X
              MAXSTAR140
              S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
              HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

That's a nice setup. I wish I had it.
                Jim

Comment

Me too, I just pile mine on pallets on the ground, I don't have to worry about being able to date my inventory, I just gauge the amount of rust and I know exactly how old it is

Comment

Hey Portable,

That is a nice set up, looks sweet.
                    I also have a problem with all the steel that I have. I been collecting and filling up all the space. . . . I have some friends at the local steel suplier they have lots of good drops and well sell them to me a Great prices.
                    thses guys are good people, I usuly drop by every week and this ends up with me having lots of steel. but a man has to have plenty of steel for those prodgets.....ha ha

I like your set up . . . . maybe one day I can get a container set-up like you have.
                    question how did you get that container ? . do they sell them often, or are they hard to find ?
                    also I guess they will deliver the container when you buy it ?

Richard

Comment

H eh Cal weld, yes it is a 40' container, I bought one about 4 years ago when they were affordable for $ 600.00 and it was in perfect condition, hauling it cost about $ 300.00

The one I just picked up was in pretty bad condition, and needed work, I paid $ 1,200.00 for this one and $ 150.00 for hauling.

As to where you can buy them I couldnt tell you, just look in the big truck trader for your area and you can usually find sellers in there.

I ended up buying 18,565 Lbs
                      Pipe cost .54 a LB
                      Square tube was .53 a LB.
                      Channel was .40 a LB
                      angle was .37 a LB.
                      Flat Bar was .40 a LB.

I'm in Michigan and am wondering what kind of price per LB you guys pay when buying a large quantity.
                      I would think since steel is governed by the stock market we should all be paying the same price across the country.

Comment

Portable,

Those look great!! Did you make the racks to hold 20' sections, or are those 10' racks? How long is the container?

BRK

Comment

The container is 40' and steel is the normal size, Pipe is 21', Square tubes are 24' ,Angle, channel & Flat bar, round bar, and square bar are 20'

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                            I ended up buying 18,565 Lbs
                            Pipe cost .54 a LB
                            Square tube was .53 a LB.
                            Channel was .40 a LB
                            angle was .37 a LB.
                            Flat Bar was .40 a LB.

I'm in Michigan and am wondering what kind of price per LB you guys pay when buying a large quantity.
                            I would think since steel is governed by the stock market we should all be paying the same price across the country.
                            Huh!! I wish . . .

have to get the calculator out for the pipe and tube, it's usually sold by the foot here.

Last spring I made a couple 15,000# -- 20,000# orders, mainly structural channel, price was .43 -.45 / lb. Right now, for smaller orders, rough rule of thumb here is about .50-.55/lb for angle, flat, or channel. I just made a 7000# order last month, 8" channel was .59/lb., 6" and 4" were .57.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                              H eh Cal weld, yes it is a 40' container, I bought one about 4 years ago when they were affordable for $ 600.00 and it was in perfect condition, hauling it cost about $ 300.00

The one I just picked up was in pretty bad condition, and needed work, I paid $ 1,200.00 for this one and $ 150.00 for hauling.

As to where you can buy them I couldnt tell you, just look in the big truck trader for your area and you can usually find sellers in there.
                              Even the containers, here a decent one will cost $2400, the 20 footers cost almost as much as the 40's, there's more demand for the smaller ones. I got a 20 a few months ago for $1200 delivered, in good shape except for a few patched holes on top, I got it cheap because it needed to be moved and I had cash. You'd think both the containers and the steel would be cheaper here, the biggest ports are all in this state??? Maybe I should start looking into trucking rates from Michigan to California, order a shipping container full of steel and have it hauled out here I have a friend/ex-customer, line-hauls across the country, moved to Wisconson last year, maybe I should call him sometime?????

Comment

Working...
                              X