Magnesium again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnesium again...

I asked about welding magnesium quite awhile back. This time the transfer case on my '03 Chevy 3500 has a hole in it. From my research, this happens to a big percentage of late model GM trucks. Anyway, my local welding supply wants $100 a pound for filler with a 2 pound minimum . I have searched around on the net and I can't find ANY ER AZ92A, which I think is what I need. Somebody in my original thread said they got it for $26 a pound. I need to get a few pounds because I have the need for it from time to time. There are hundreds of these trucks in my area, and I'm the only shop around who can do it, so I need to be prepared. Anybody know where to get some filler?
    Zeb's Welding and Machine

how do you weld magnesium w/o setting it on fire? do you have to weld it in a box purged of all O2?
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

The sheilding gas keeps it from burning...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

If you want some for just one job I'll send you a few pieces I got. I got it from a guy with my first tig machine. It's old and I don't know if it'll work, but I'll probably never care or need to weld magnesium. Probably an in depth search on the net will yield something somewhere other than that I wonder too! I can ask my local supplier and see what it'd be.

Comment

Originally posted by bretsk2500 View Post
          how do you weld magnesium w/o setting it on fire? do you have to weld it in a box purged of all O2?
          I was wondering the same thing, having in my youth burned magnesium relishing the immense amout of light it put out. LOL

So the shielding gas keeps it from burning. That's interesting.

Comment

I might take you up on that Billet Benny, if I don't find a reasonable price.
            Zeb's Welding and Machine

Comment

It doesnt catch fire from welding. The chips and dust from machining and grinding are whats flamable. Magnesium is welded and machined everyday.

Comment

Working...
              X