New to the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Bob,
    Its alway nice to have guys that specialize in a field.
    I'm a good general welder but count on guys like you when they start asking about Titanium and other specialty metals.

Comment

Wow! Great response! It's wierd that I have been online since '97 but I just recently started visiting the welding sites. I come in peace and harmony...no ego here. Just want to learn, share and help if I can. I have been Tigging so long that I can't hardly run stick or wire that well at all anymore. I love to practice that stuff when I can. And my new goal is to learn oxy-hydrogen torch welding on aluminum. There is a 22 year old kid at work named Matt that Murf taught oxy-hydrogen to and he is absolutely the best all around aluminum welder I have ever seen. He can Tig up a storm too. I wish I was that good when I was that age. I will try to sneak a pic or two of some of his welds to show you. Thanks for the great welcome and I look forward to meeting lots of new friends here. bOb
      sigpic
      bOb
      Bobs Welding Service

Comment

Originally posted by fuelcarbuilder View Post
        no ego here. Just want to learn, share and help if I can.
        Hey Bob I personally have no problem with a man’s ego, when it’s well deserved!

Sometimes ego = confidence.

I for one would love it if you could post any pictures you could on Tig welding aluminum. I’m more of a structural welder, but trying to learn aluminum, no reason just a challenge for me. I was knocked out of the working world, so I just play when my health permits!

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post
          I for one would love it if you could post any pictures you could on Tig welding aluminum.
          Hey PB, these were done several months ago and are my attemps at hacking it together. They were done with my 300DX though so if my machine can do this, yours should be able to as well.
          Dynasty 350DX
          Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
          MM 350P
          MM Passport Plus
          Spectrum 375 Extreme
          08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
            Hey PB, these were done several months ago and are my attemps at hacking it together. They were done with my 300DX though so if my machine can do this, yours should be able to as well.
            Well sum beach!!!!!!!!!!!! There is something definitely wrong with my machine! I’m going to return that POS in the morning!

Or maybe we should trade!

Comment

Kevin, great lookin stuff there. Do you preheat those parts any before you weld? That 300DX is kickin some serious butt. I don't care who ya are, thats a nice lookin weld! bOb
              sigpic
              bOb
              Bobs Welding Service

Comment

Originally posted by fuelcarbuilder View Post
                Kevin, great lookin stuff there. Do you preheat those parts any before you weld? That 300DX is kickin some serious butt. I don't care who ya are, thats a nice lookin weld! bOb
                Hey thanks. I do use a little preheat, redneck style you might say. Here is a little example. You do very nice work too.
                Dynasty 350DX
                Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                MM 350P
                MM Passport Plus
                Spectrum 375 Extreme
                08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Kevin when you do those bigger / thicker weldments, do you use a helium mix, or stay with 100 % argon?

If you were to use helium what % do you like?

Comment

I would never of thought of using a heat gun to preheat.

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post
                      Kevin when you do those bigger / thicker weldments, do you use a helium mix, or stay with 100 % argon?

If you were to use helium what % do you like?
                      I tried a 75/25 argon/he mix on a project and did not care for it. I'm not sure I gave it a fair shot to be honest though. Also, you need to use a larger diameter tungsten than you would with straight argon or you will degrade the tip quicker than well, you know. I would like to try it again but with a higher he percentage. All the stuff in those pics was using 100% argon.
                      Dynasty 350DX
                      Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                      MM 350P
                      MM Passport Plus
                      Spectrum 375 Extreme
                      08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

The only time I have used a mix of Argon/helium with aluminum was when I was still with the aerospace company. We kept having porosity problems with our welds, and we tried EVERYTHING under the sun to cure it. It wasn't until we tried a 80%Ar-20%He mix that we solved the problem. The Helium helped the puddle burn hotter, hence letting the porosity escape from the puddle before it was frozen in. Kevin...way cool preheater! bOb
                        sigpic
                        bOb
                        Bobs Welding Service

Comment

I use a mix with everything from thin SS to aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by joebass View Post
                            I use a mix with everything from thin SS to aluminum.
                            Nice!
                            Dynasty 350DX
                            Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                            MM 350P
                            MM Passport Plus
                            Spectrum 375 Extreme
                            08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Awsome work awsome pictures guys the more I see tig pictures of aluminum and stainless and all the more i want to get better at tiging. Thanks
                              Chris

Comment

I'd just like to throw in that it is really great to see you guys posting up photos of your work/projects. I honestly find it very inspirational, and I'm sure others will agree. I might be a wee bit odd, but I just LOVE looking at this stuff.
                                Dynasty 200DX
                                Spectrum 375
                                Next up: Millermatic 251

Comment

Working...
                                X